Power washing a jet engine...interesting results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thatpilotguy

This is interesting. I ran across this article while surfing this morning. I'm happy to see that the airlines are entertaining other ideas to save fuel and maximize profits. It beats paying another passenger based fee.

It's seems so simple, I wonder why we have not heard about this before, and if it will ever trickle down to the corporate jet world. I would imagine some larger operations, such as the fractionals would see a return and honestly I would be interested in knowing how it would impact a small 500 hours a year operation. I'm all for saving a buck, especially if it is such a simple situation.

Not sure if I have this link right, but there is a video bar. It's titled cleaning with a jet engine bath...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27320663#27320663

I don't think compressor washes are anything new...Cessna asks me if I want one every time I visit a CSC.

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. Of course if an authorized service center had offered that service I would have probably laughed thinking it was some sort of snake oil. Does Cessna offer any documentation on the performance post wash?

I don't know...never accepted the service because our engines are less than 200hrs out of overhaul.

There were two different types of washes going on in that video. However, a compressor wash isn't "snake oil," it's a standard maintenance procedure that's as old as turbine engines. If you know anything at all about maintenance done to a turbine airplane, be it turbojet or turboprop, then you will know about doing a compressor wash.

A compressor wash is more than squirting water in the front of an engine, and it involves the disconnecting of certain bleed and other lines, and the use of soaps and solvents as well as water under pressure to clean the compressor while the engine is being motored, and restore operating efficiency.

When they used to run crushed walnut shells through the Darts on a G1 it was a sight to see... Smelled pretty good too!

P&W recommends a compressor wash on the PT-6 after every flight in high salt environments. I learned this the hard way a few years ago...

Is that a recommendation on all PT6s? I know there have been problems with compressor inlets and corrosion on some of the single engine pipers.
What happened in your case?

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. Of course if an authorized service center had offered that service I would have probably laughed thinking it was some sort of snake oil. Does Cessna offer any documentation on the performance post wash?

The only time I saw data after an engine wash was when we had our PW545a hosed down because of high ITT temps at takeoff and inital climb out.

It dropped the temps by a pretty signifigant amount. It was long ago so I don't remember the numbers. Glad it solved the problems, the alternative was very expensive as I recall.

Latest resources

Back