Police warning!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Navigator72 said:
if you are driving on a desolate road where there is nothing, you could probably get away with 15-20MPH over and be just fine.
You'd think so.

About 6 weeks ago my wife's brother walked in their dad's house late one evening and found him lying dead in the middle of the floor. We left BHM around 9:30 p.m. so we could be there in the morning when they told her mom, who lives in a nursing home. Deputy Dewey in Alexander County, IL thought he needed to keep the road that runs through the middle of the cornfield safe, and at 4:15 a.m. popped me doing 70 in a 55. So much for sympathy. And we could not have been more polite to him. Not sure why he didn't just go ahead and spit in my wife's face while he was at it.

KingAir said:
Multiple officers have been arrested for DUI.
The one thing that burns my hindquarters more than anything are cops who DUI. I guess it's o.k. for them to do it. But if they have the slightest inkling that you have been, like they did with TC's wife, you're off to the clink.

I can't remember if it was late last year or early this year, but one night in St. Louis an off duty cop left the bar and proceded to get on the highway going the wrong direction. When the 18 wheeler he was approaching head-on swerved to miss him, he exposed the police cruiser behind him and the on duty and off duty cops met head on. Result: 2 fatalities.

I wonder how many people that little pr!ck busted for DWI before he decided to go out and get hammered and kill a fellow officer? And the bar he left, it was the local off duty police officer hangout. And I'm sure they all had designated drivers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got pulled over for speeding, except I was looking at the meter and saw I was going 63 (in a 55). The cop said he had me on radar goin 81. I told him he needed to check his equipment. He didn't.

I don't trust cops anymore since then.

If I had known at the time that I was legally allowed to have him show me the radar I would have done it, cause I got boned that day.

I asked a cop about a "speed buffer" over the limit. He smiled and told me:

"5 you drive, 9 you're mine!"

its funny how general you can make your statements! NO ONE can fit people into a mold! Your are ASSUMING that because i drive a little fast, that i am a bad pilot, and that i break every rule in the FAR. Well the sad thing is, is that you are wrong. The way i handle myself in the cockpit is completely different from how i handle myself in the "real world!"

I made no assumptions, nor do I do so. I quoted you. If you're upset, get upset at yourself. Your words, not mine, my 250 hour friend. You've got the world all figured out, you know the industry, you know more than the FAA, than employers, insurance companies, agencies, etc. Keep it up, educate us all. You probably won't change the system, but we'll all be very impressed. I know I certainly am.

If your saying that your real life parrallels how you act in the cockpit then i feel bad for you. There is a time and a place for seriousness and a time and a place for humor. The way I handle myself in the cockpit is a serious no BS manner, but when i get down and out of the aircraft, my nice, relaxed, funny side comes out! If you feel you have to be a tight wad all the time then go ahead. but DO NOT be judgmental and throw me in some category by just a few posts on a forum.

In your young, arrogant state, you may not realize that few, if any of us require your validation to lead our lives, nor do we need your pity. Yes, how you act on the road has a big bearing on your professional character. It's for this reason that obtaining a DUI on the road will affect your ability to be insured, employed, to hold a medical certificate, and even a pilot certificate. Have you figurd out why that is?

Have you ever wondered why a felony conviction, having nothing to do with flying, is taken deeply into consideration when contemplating your character as a pilot, and how a conviction for certain crimes or acts entirely unrelated to flying may be held against your ability to obtain an ATP on the grounds of your moral character? Everything you do has a bearing on everything else you do. If you break the law in one area, if you feel you are above the law and some how it does not apply to you, then that's a character problem that doesn't confine itself to one small aspect of your behavior. You may feel it doesn't, but you are wrong. Every authority in the industry, every major force, company, agent for insurance, the FAA, etc, disagrees with you.

But then again, you're here to educate us all...you know more, and you're under an obligation to educate us. Keep up the good work.

You seem to use words like childish and immature in a lot of your posts around hear. So i'll relay them to you. Being Judgemental on first impressions like you have done with me, Is very CHILDISH and IMMATURE! If you really have an urge to see how i act, meet me and you'll be suprised!

I'm hardly judgemental here; I used your own words. I have no desire to meet you, I'm far from impressed by you so far. Your words and language so far has indeed been childish, both in this thread, and the sister thread that was deleted. You brag about that for which you should be embarassed, and that is far from a mature effort at professionalism or responsible behavior. Your own words convict you. Give it up. You stand as an example of one who is far better closing his mouth and appearing a fool, than opening it and removing all doubt.

Brett Hull said:
I can't remember if it was late last year or early this year, but one night in St. Louis an off duty cop left the bar and proceded to get on the highway going the wrong direction. When the 18 wheeler he was approaching head-on swerved to miss him, he exposed the police cruiser behind him and the on duty and off duty cops met head on. Result: 2 fatalities.

I wonder how many people that little pr!ck busted for DWI before he decided to go out and get hammered and kill a fellow officer? And the bar he left, it was the local off duty police officer hangout. And I'm sure they all had designated drivers. :rolleyes:

Not to say it was right, but just because he had a badge, or we fly airplanes does not make us immune from making mistakes. The drunk cop was a college friend of mine, and that night was completly out of character for him. Steve graduated with honors from college and was president of our fraternity, all while working almost full time not only to put himself through school, but to also help his younger brother go to school. He was always the first one to offer to pick one of our friends up if we had too much to drink instead of driving home, had just bought a house, and would have been getting married next month. While I am not going to say what he did was right, a bad choice none of us that knew him took two great men Steve and Officer Armstrong away from their family and friends and they will truly be missed.

SammyG said:
If I had known at the time that I was legally allowed to have him show me the radar I would have done it, cause I got boned that day.

dude too much CSI Miami or Judge Judy whatever.....your statement above is incorrect

Speeding

When I was a deputy sheriff in Clallam County, Washington years back, it was the norm that we wrote for 11 MPH and above the limit. Unless of course she was really cute and there was a chance you could get her number, 5 MPH over. Chicken Fokker! Say, "Car Ram-Rod." Super Troopers Rocks!!

Chocks said:
I asked a cop about a "speed buffer" over the limit. He smiled and told me:

"5 you drive, 9 you're mine!"
Sounds like a cop with too much time on his hands. Hopefully when it comes time for layoffs, maybe they'll have something for him to do over at park and rec, like painting picknick tables muni green.

aeronautic1 said:
When I was a deputy sheriff in Clallam County, Washington years back, it was the norm that we wrote for 11 MPH and above the limit. Unless of course she was really cute and there was a chance you could get her number, 5 MPH over. Chicken Fokker! Say, "Car Ram-Rod." Super Troopers Rocks!!
I know one police agency in Wisconsin with 130 or so officers, that has a policy that each officer must write at least one traffic citation or "citizens contact report" (written warning) per shift.

I think that is a fair "quota"...and you really don't have to work that hard to get one without being a jerk.

Usually these officers are backed up with calls when they begin their shifts, so they usually don't have time for sitting around clocking motorists. Once in a great while you'll see them working traffic enforcement, but they are usually pretty busy. They don't use moving radar in this municipality and even when they got donated the temporary use of a LIDAR by some state grant, it made the papers.

Brett Hull said:
The one thing that burns my hindquarters more than anything are cops who DUI. I guess it's o.k. for them to do it. But if they have the slightest inkling that you have been, like they did with TC's wife, you're off to the clink.
To be fair, cops are people too and they have a stressful job...it doesn't make it right, but there are going to be police officers that get DUI's and it's obviously going to be more punishment for them when get one, than what a citizen is going to get.

I know a guy that was in his probationary period at the Ashwaubenon Department of Public Safety, that got a DUI. He was allowed to drive his patrol vehicle during his work shift on an "Occupational License". Imagine that?

Latest resources

Back