Police warning!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
satpak77 said:
dude too much CSI Miami or Judge Judy whatever.....your statement above is incorrect

Neither of those shows I watch. I was told by a co-worker that in the state of Florida, we are allowed to ask to see it. But perhaps I should look into the matter myself for a more concrete answer.

Even if you're not allowed, you should be, or else the driver is without defense and vulnerable to be abused like I was on that day.

SammyG said:
Neither of those shows I watch. I was told by a co-worker that in the state of Florida, we are allowed to ask to see it. But perhaps I should look into the matter myself for a more concrete answer.

Even if you're not allowed, you should be, or else the driver is without defense and vulnerable to be abused like I was on that day.
Even if you did see what was displayed on the radar, it's the officers word that speed indication displayed, was a result of clocking YOUR vehicle.

If the officer wanted to, he could clock a car doing 70 miles an hour and leave that displayed on the radar unit all day long.

Also consider this, what if the officer takes the hand held radar and points it at something that gives him a nice speed indication and then says it's your speed? There are ways to get hand held radar units to display a speed...point it in the cruiser and cycle the heater/ac fan motor speed control and clock untill you get the desired results.

I have nevere asked to see the display and I would never attempt to hold traffic court on the side of the road with an officer.

Three years ago, I got stopped for doing 11 over in a 55 at 4:20 in the morning. I had my cruise set at 7 over and wasn't going to kick it out, even though the officer was sitting in plain sight on the shoulder. I couldn't believe it when the officer turned his headligts on and came after me.

We get to talking and right away I made the comment that I believed his radar was more accurate than my speedometer (car had 200,000 miles on it) and he let me off with a verbal warning. He was adamant about this though...what really ticked him off was that I didn't hit my brakes when I passed by him. His exact words. So, if you think you're getting clocked, don't be afraid to show them brake lights...

satpak77 said:
dude too much CSI Miami or Judge Judy whatever.....your statement above is incorrect

In the state of Illinois, I have asked and been shown. Not sure what the law reads on the subject though.

FN FAL said:
...like painting picknick tables muni green.

Don't mean to nitpick, but it's picnic. :D

SammyG said:
I was told by a co-worker that in the state of Florida, we are allowed to ask to see it. But perhaps I should look into the matter myself for a more concrete answer.

Your co-worked is wrong. "Driver without a defense" is not alleviated by looking at a read-out on the radar unit

Its "commissioned peace officer" versus "citizen" testimony in court

I recommend you personally call the court involved and request "deferred adjudication" if you attend defensive driving. That is cheapest. OR hire an attorney to get it dismissed

CitationXDriver said:
In the state of Illinois, I have asked and been shown. Not sure what the law reads on the subject though.

thats fine, but its not a legal requirement to show the driver that

best thing is

when you get stopped, pull over to the side of road, almost to the grass, turn on dome light (if at night) and place your left hand on the window sill and your right hand over your left wrist. Seems funky but we are talking "keep the officer happy" here.

put car in PARK and take foot OFF brake. Contrast to "leave it in drive" and "hold brake" while Officer walks up to you. Add in "reach under seat and make lots of movement" to further displease the officer.

If on urban streets, pull into a grocery store parking lot or somewhere that the officer will not be hit by a bus when he gets out of his car. You do NOT need his adrenaline jacked up more than necessary....

if asked for insurance, tell him its in glove box, and ask if you can reach for it. DO NOT practice your latest fast-glove-box-opening-techniques at this time. See adrenaline comment above. Leave left hand in plain view at ALL TIMES.

99% of time, officer (with audio mic and car camera) will ask the violator "do you know why I stopped you"

tell him "yes sir, I am indeed exceeding the limit, but I got paged/a message/etc that my mom is sick due to unknown reasons and I am going home/to office/to friends house/etc to call her"

try not to say this directly into his lapel mike or it will be too obvious you got training in this area

95% of time you will be cut loose. Trust me on this. :)

no you dont know why she is sick thats why you need to call her, and yes, she is an older lady and older ladies get sick sometimes for unknown reasons. No sir, sorry, I don't know why she is sick. Has she had problems lately? Yes and she is sick or never ever had a problem and now she is sick.

no she is not at hospital she is at home but she is sick and she is my mom and I am expediting my driving to call my sick mom.

figure out your own excuse why you arent using your cell. not enough minutes, she ignores cell calls on Caller ID, whatever.

we are talking "not getting a ticket"....we can talk morality/dont tell lies/the bible/etc on another thread

One day when I am rich I will have designed for me a car that can transform into a flying machine. Will be useful for days when I'm sick of sitting in traffic. I'll just hit the button, ascend into the air, and fly over all the other suckers in traffic, with my middle finger extended out the drivers side window, as I cruise at 300' agl to my destination.

Will also be useful when I see a police cruiser turn on its lights behind me on the road. I'd love to see his reaction when his "quota for the day" stop leaves him in smoke, scrambling for his radio and screaming "This car just took off into the air...really!" Me thinks it'll take him a while to show the video from his cruiser to his superiors, during which I will have already landed, changed out my fake license plate with a new one, and be in bed.

satpak77 said:
99% of time, officer (with audio mic and car camera) will ask the violator "do you know why I stopped you"

tell him "yes sir, I am indeed exceeding the limit, but I got paged/a message/etc that my mom is sick due to unknown reasons and I am going home/to office/to friends house/etc to call her"

try not to say this directly into his lapel mike or it will be too obvious you got training in this area

95% of time you will be cut loose. Trust me on this. :)
Not too long ago a cop asked me the "do you know why I stopped you?" bit.

I told him, "I think I have a pretty good idea."

He said, "Do you want to tell me what that is?"

I said, "No...you go first." (5th amendment).

He was quite pleasant, but he was surprised I wouldn't say what he wanted me to say (I had an idea that he was video taping the traffic stop). Wound up with a citizens contact report on the running of the yellow light (saved me 78 bucks and 3 points and a 10 dollar ticket for not wearing a seat belt.

I have a hard time with story telling, especially should the cop ask for your mom's phone number and whips out a cell phone so he can speak to her about her not feeling well. Cops don't mind if you elect to remain silent, it's your right to not incriminate yourself, but I do believe that cops get mad when you insult their intelligence by lying to them.

I hear what your saying on the excuse...but I would be real carefull about any fibbing when pulled over on the side of the road.

Latest resources

Back