Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
satpak77 said:
yes all good points
What's interesting about the drivel concerning a driver that goes a few miles over the posted speed on a road and the quality of their flying decision making, was the fact that the NTSB report for the Pinnacle Disaster pointed out that neither pilot had any traffic records.

My new job requires that I use a program to plot out my route, so I bought microsoft streets & trips with the GPS so I can watch myself on the moving map.............

anyway, My car shows 65, and I am doing 60 according to the GPS, my car shows 70, and I am doing 75 according to the GPS.

Is GPS that reliable that I can count on it to give me an accurate ground speed. It refreshes my position like every second if not faster.

Metro752 said:
My new job requires that I use a program to plot out my route, so I bought microsoft streets & trips with the GPS so I can watch myself on the moving map.............

anyway, My car shows 65, and I am doing 60 according to the GPS, my car shows 70, and I am doing 75 according to the GPS.

Is GPS that reliable that I can count on it to give me an accurate ground speed. It refreshes my position like every second if not faster.
You bring up an interesting point. On the beltways around MKE they have put up at least three of those radar speed signs as part of a speed enforcement/awareness program. I usually try and see what difference my speedometer says v. sign. If I go by at 60 it says i'm doing 56. So I'm reading about 4 miles faster than my speed indicates. Which would explain why the Waukesha County guy didn't flinch when I went past him with the cruise set at 14 over on Friday night. I was almost disapointed he didn't pull out, but after comparing my speedometer to the radar signs, I must have only been clocked at ten over.

I would think the gps is more accurate than your speedometer. Are you comparing mph to mph or mph to kts?

Last edited:
MPH to MPH read out, then I tried it with KMPH, same. Maybe its just my car is crappy n old. Not sure.

I had a kid tell me back in high school that speedometers on most older cars, that aren't maintained (the speedometer) aren't very accurate after about 70mph

yeah obviously a 1990 Tauraus has a 14 year old speedometer cable and associated hardware. In reality, it doesnt matter, because everyone else's car on the highway has a similar issue

but no, the speedo on your car is far from exact. Throw in tire size, inflation, etc

my dad always taught me, when in traffic, go with the flow, when solo, follow the posted limit

I can't stand it when everyone is doing 75 (on a 55 MPH road) and one clown in the center lane is doing 55.000 MPH, being a good law abiding citizen but actually being a safety hazard.

Speed itself does not kill. Nor will it hurt machinery thats well oiled and in good condition, and if its within the parameters of the equipment. No, a Mercury Tracer cannot do 100 MPH all day long.

One time I drove my 4.6L Mercury Cougar for 3 hours straight, at 95-105 MPH, on a highway in Mexico, with no problems at all. Got 25 MPG also. With overdrive the engine RPM was pulling the same thing as doing 35 MPH in the city.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
What's interesting about the drivel concerning a driver that goes a few miles over the posted speed on a road and the quality of their flying decision making, was the fact that the NTSB report for the Pinnacle Disaster pointed out that neither pilot had any traffic records.

yeah doesn't make sense. Maybe from a "past behavior equals future behavior" standpoint but the PNCL accident proves that is not always the case. Sometimes it takes a few tickets and spankings in childhood to learn a lesson.

Thats why major airlines require 3000-5000 TT before an interview, they want some "learned lessons" and scratched knees and some "I will never do that agains" from their new-hires. Major Airline XYZ Chief Pilot does not want his airline to be the first place you ever saw a thunderstorm or held over a navaid and had to make a fuel decision.

The PNCL crew's lesson that night ended in their deaths, leaving only the rest of us to learn from it.....

No, a Mercury Tracer cannot do 100 MPH all day long.

One time I drove my 4.6L Mercury Cougar for 3 hours straight
Brings back some memories. While living in vienna, austria, i drove a '77 Opel Kadett (do a google search if you are really that interested). Its basically a 28 year old P.O.S. with a 50 HP engine. Back then it was considered a "sportscar". Anyhow, me and my oldtimer (officially recognized too :)), went to visit my parents - roughly a 2 hour drive.

I usually filled it up with the poorest quality fuel i could find - 89 octane. Hey, it was P.O.S. car. But on this trip i decided to put some 98 octane (the highest) in it, to see how fast i could get the little bugger. ** I managed to get it up to 90mph with the pedal all the way down! Thats 20mph faster than what i could get it with the 89octane. I drove it at 90mph for the entire trip on the highway. It ran real smooth - ocassionally it sounded though as the engine would explode, but i just kept on going :D Even though i managed to get 90mph out of that bugger, cars still passed me on the highway, where average speed was ~100mph.

** some may be wondering, why does it drive faster with a higher octane fuel? Well, the lower octane fuel would cause detonation if i drove to fast, and the higher octane delayed it... so there...

Metro752 said:
MPH to MPH read out, then I tried it with KMPH, same. Maybe its just my car is crappy n old. Not sure.

I had a kid tell me back in high school that speedometers on most older cars, that aren't maintained (the speedometer) aren't very accurate after about 70mph
If you look in the articles in car and driver where they are evaluating a car, one of the things they put in the data is the speedometer error.

Think about it this way, how else do you think those companies get close to meeting EPA MPG? If you're indicating higher mph than you are really going, then you are clicking off more miles on your odometer...things that make you say mmmmmmmm? No wonder I'm getting 550 miles on a tank of gas!!!

Latest resources

Back