Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo, 30 days out from possible strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
heilhaavir said:
Kerosene, unfortunately it is difficult to define struck work in ACMI. Let's assume that SAI (just for the sake of the example) has an ACMI contract with Asiana for instance. Asiana goes on strike, SAI continues flying the contract and actually now adds a few frequencies. Asiana pilots not very happy obviously but nothing they can do because the govt doesn't give a dang. Let's say now that SAI goes on strike, Asiana still needs to move their freight, they advise SAI that their contract is cancelled because they cannot fulfill their contractual obligations and they sign a contract with let's say Tradewinds or Focus or both (again just as an example). The latter have not crossed the line, it is Asiana's freight they are carrying, not SAI's....

Seems to me a good reason to get the two merged, as long as PO and ATLAS are separate they can be played against one another by mgmt.

As far as ACMI, I look at it like this, if Atlas were to strike and then the company tried to "bid" on the ACMI using Polars certificate, that should be treated the same as struck work, same mgmt, same holding company. Legal under RLA(as per struck work rules)? Dunno, but it would probably take a judge to figure it out.

You are probably correct about PO I don't know, there are certainly lots of legalities involved since they belong to the same group and same union, but again as far as any other carrier is concerned, there are no legal grounds to prevent the Asianas, BAs, KALs, SIAs from finding a carrier to move "their" freight.

mrvmo said:
Craven, As we all know here, Atlas Holdings is working you guys aginst Polar now, as the have been all along. And guess what...............your falling foir it hook-line-and sinker. Why don't you give up your grudge and help your PROFESSION? It is a different time now than it was back then.........more at stake. Let it go man!
No grudge here, just sitting back and watching the show. Last time JC did this, I was fuloughed.
I just hope that after all of this is over and the two merge that we put are money together and hire that a-hole JC to negotiate for us.

Last edited:
I've tried to stay on the sidelines in this arguement, but I need to point out some observations.

I've heard from the folks at Polar:

Oh we may make less money than you on paper but our work rules make it so that we make as much or more money than you do on and our work rules are soooo much better!!!

I even had one new hire go on about how he was receiving 140+ credit hours for 18 days where as I was barely braking 50 in that same period. This seemed on the outside of plausability, but at face value he was making better than twice what I was for the period even at twenty dollars less per hour (please note that polar guys also don't suffer under a reduced monthly gaurantee the first year like atlas pilots do!). This is apparently system wide. Ask a ploar guy if he really feeels like he's really making less than the Atlas pilots and I've heard no one say YES. As a matter of fact they will go on and on about how infinitely better their contract is. That may be true.

They had a 99% yes vote to strike and I'm going WTF for. On one hand they are over here poor mouthing about being the lowest paid 747 drivers and on the other they brag about how much better life is at Polar than Atlas and that conversation doesn't exclude money.

Now they felt like under their current contract they should have all the same work rules and lucrative overtime and Atlas's pay. It is a false arguement that Polar was looking for parity w/ Atlas because that was never the case. None of them would fly under our contract with our "sought after hourly rates" period. The company did offer them their current contract with a 10% pay increase and this offer has not been put to the membership for a vote to date. I don't see that offer as a concession.

Not to mention the fact that Polar has ALPA street capts which Atlas does not and relative to TIS vs captiancies the advantage goes to the polar group again. I mention this because if you take a 7 year Atlas guy with a 7 year Polar guys odds are the polar guy been a capt for a few and odds are the Atlas guy isn't (lets keep the Standstead BS out of this. yet another example of Atlas pilots getting the full nelson and the father nelson)

When the subject of merger ploicy comes up Polar guys have been shouting date of hire is the only fair thing! WTF there are guys on the atlas side of the house who haven't had a command with 7+ years of longevity and polar has five year capt's and they want date of hire?! WTF? It doesn't take long to see that Polar's MEC is working "solely" for the best intrest of polar pilots. So don't give me this we should all unite and hold hands like brothers. This is not us vs mgmt. This is Polar vs mgmt.

My point is, is it required that Polar pilots recieve massive order of magnatude gains over Atlas pilots in order for them to be satisfied. Is that worth striking for. When I hear one Polar pilot come to the table and say we'll take Atlas's contract with a 10% pay increase then I maybe more inclined to believe and walk the line!

Last edited:
My point is, is it required that Polar pilots recieve make massive order of magnatude gains over Atlas pilots in order for them to be satisfied. Is that worth striking for. When I hear one Polar pilot come to the table and say we'll take Atlas's contract with a 10% pay increase then I maybe more inclined to believe!

When your contract comes up, where would you like to bargain from? Do you want the Polar guys making less than you? How long has Polars contract been amendable?

They had a 99% yes vote to strike and I'm going WTF for. On one hand they are over here poor mouthing about being the lowest paid 747 drivers and on the other they brag about how much better life is at Polar than Atlas and that conversation doesn't exclude money.

Sound like you sorta like their contract, if it is as good as they say it is. How about Atlas pay, with Polar work rules? For BOTH groups.. If Polar stumbles, in about a year, Atlas guys fall w/ 'em.

gee how's about Fedex pay with UPS work rules?

The question is what is worth fighting for and what can you win?

There is no arguement that the QOL issues at Polar are better the only area Atlas's CBA exceeds Polar's CBA is the hourly rate, which doesn't nessicarily mean less money for Polar pilots because of he benefits of their CBA. Now Polar CBA with Atlas hourly rates sounds great if I was at Polar would I want to strike if less was offered? Probably not.

We haven't been asked to walk, but there are many here who woud like to make it seem as if we are bargining collectively. We aren't. Polar pilots are nego. (fairly enough) in their own self intrest live or die!

rtmcfi said:
When your contract comes up, where would you like to bargain from? Do you want the Polar guys making less than you? How long has Polars contract been amendable?

Sound like you sorta like their contract, if it is as good as they say it is. How about Atlas pay, with Polar work rules? For BOTH groups.. If Polar stumbles, in about a year, Atlas guys fall w/ 'em.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back