Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2 DUI's

Dakota Flyer,

I'm a firm believer in Second Chances. Two DUI's are a bit much, however not the end of the world. As far as 121 operators go, this person might want to get their medical back (if able) and fly 135 for a while to prove their "New" record.

I also have a friend who has two DUI's (last one 4 yrs ago and the previos 10 yrs before that) and he want to become a Commercial pilot. I basically told him the same thing I'm saying here. He is on his way to a 141 Helicopter school and plans to instruct to build time then fly the Gulf of Mexico.

Good Luck to your friend. Not everyone can do it, but a lot of people turn their lives around.

OMG horizon, you crack me up! A clean driving record is important when taking a job at the majors. But also 135 ops do a credit check, if they are going to issue you a company Amex, they want proof that you have good credit, I did work in some supplemental charters that did have pilots and captains wiht dui's, but they cleaned up their act, so they decided to have their wives drive them to the bar instead! LOL!

Good luck with your reasearch!

Smile everyone please!

Some captain waiting to jumpseat out to work was telling me that his national airline required two dui's to get an interview there.

I think there was more to the story than what he was letting on to.

:eek: Airlines? "TWO" DUI's. Dude, with MADD and all the other drinking Nazi's running around, I'm surprised you're not in prison, for life.

The reason I need this information in print is to give to the States Atourney. He has already informally agreed to drop it to a Reckless but my lawyer thinks it would be a good idea to provide him with this info. I did a google search the other day and came across an article that was written in a flying magazine that basically said exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone else on here read it but I guess not. Anyway, most of you are only interested in giving me smart ass remarks so I'll look elsewhere. For those of you that were sincere, I thank you.

Dakota Flyer said:
The reason I need this information in print is to give to the States Atourney. He has already informally agreed to drop it to a Reckless but my lawyer thinks it would be a good idea to provide him with this info. I did a google search the other day and came across an article that was written in a flying magazine that basically said exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone else on here read it but I guess not. Anyway, most of you are only interested in giving me smart ass remarks so I'll look elsewhere. For those of you that were sincere, I thank you.
just out of curiosity what was your BAC on the two busts and what was the probable cause for the officer to stop you?

be brief and don't give away any information like municipality or personal names. I'm a criminal justice student and just curious.

FN FAL said:
just out of curiosity what was your BAC on the two busts and what was the probable cause for the officer to stop you?

be brief and don't give away any information like municipality or personal names. I'm a criminal justice student and just curious.

BAC: .27

Probable cause: Driving the wrong way, on the sidewalk.

Dakota, first of all, I hope I wasn't the one who was trying to make you feel like we aren't sincere, I hate to see your feelings get, mine get hurt real easy.

True story: I really did have the opportunity to fly with some guys with dui's.
Large jets and charter, they have been given a chance because of thier honesty, since then the charter companies I worked for bellied up.

They went on to Polar and Atlas and have been type rated and still are working and are still great pilots. I am sorry I didn't have handy the information you were looking for, but I was trying to brighten your day, that yes some pilots have dui's. And still get work.

You really seem to be aspiring and I'm quite sure many will jump in and support you. I know someone very very close to me who was arrested on a gun charge and is still flying and still working.

The world is not perfect, demostate the responsibility and you will go far, whatever it takes never ever give up, someone will hire you!

Have a bright day!
Your friends at flightfo

Dude, sounds to me like you havent learned your lesson yet. Seems to me that all you are concerned about is getting the judge to give you a little slap on the wrist, for a SECOND time I might ad, instead of sending your butt to jail, and to hell with the fact that YOU screwed up again. "Why yes, Mr. district attorney, I know this is my second DUI, but I'm trying to be an airline pilot..." So, exactly how DO you explain two DUI's within 5 years? What did you NOT learn the first time around that made you do it again? There's hundreds, if not thousands of pilots out here that have never had a traffic ticket, much less a DUI in their entire lives... why do you think that an airline, given the choice between one of those pilots with a spotless record, and you, who have demonstrated a lack of responsibility and a tendancy to not learn from your mistakes, would hire you over another? Sorry, but I dont have much sympathy for someone who gets their 1st DUI, let alone a second one! It's been illegal to drink and drive for many years, my friend, and there's just no legitimate excuse for driving under the influence, I dont care WHAT the situation is. Now, I see that you have your PPL and 60 hours. I would suggest that you take your SECOND lucky break from the courts and keep your little nose clean while you are building your ratings and hours. After a period of time, yeah, you may have a shot at a 121 job, but you might as well accept the fact that your record will be somewhat of a hinderance. Like soneone said, get a 91 or 135 job and build some time at that when you are able. If a company sees that you've turned your life around and have a couple of years of a proven track record, your odds will be greatly increased. But dont start whining about these guys getting harsh with you in their remarks... after all, YOU are the one who made the bed you're lying in, not us. Having said all that, I sincerely wish you luck, and hope you realize how lucky you are to have a "SECOND" second chance. Dont piss it away by being stupid.

Latest resources

Back