• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
D

Dakota Flyer

Please Help Me

I need help finding information proving that a pilot with 2 DWI's on his/her record will basically be un hireable by the major airlines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:
In today's environment a Native American female with Space Shuttle time who is the CEO's favorite daughter cant get hired! Two DUI's cannot possibly help this person! But I'm sure any flight school would gladly accept their $30,000 to become one of the outstanding 1000's of qualified, unemployed pilots pounding the pavement for a job in this f'ed-up industry!!!

I have to second what Anais said.

Even putting aside the state of the airline industry, they've had enough black-eyes in the past few years relating to pilots being accused of flying drunk. To take on someone with previous offenses (nevermind TWO) would be too large of a liability to the company.

Atleast thats my opinion and .02

In the FAA's eyes, two DUI's (regardless of the time interval between them..even over twenty years) is sufficient evidence to require a person who wants to hold a Class I medical to--at the very least--obtain an evaluation by a Subtance Abuse Professional.

Often they'll then be required to attend an inpatient clinic for alcoholism and spend months going through the motions to obtain a special issuance medical.

Not to deny your friend the opportunity to fly for a living, but holding a Class I will be a difficult endeavor. But not impossible! There are many folks who have successfully coped with this kind of problem.

Remember that one simply cannot just "not report" a DUI. Failure to do so would almost innevitably result in far stiffer fines and subsequent repercussions when hired by a 121/135 carrier.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I realize that it is not a good thing. What I'm looking for is a source ie. article, website etc. that says so. I need something to back up what I already know is true. A pilot with 2 DWI's in a 5 year time span is basically screwed when it comes to getting a job with the majors. I know almost everyone on here will agree with that, I'm just searching for more hard evidence to support the fact.

Thanks

You won't find any. The aren't any laws on the books that would prevent someone from being hired at a major. The only thing I can think of would be certain company policies on hiring, which I'm sure would be confidnetial.

Is this for some type of project, or just trying to prove a point to someone?

Dakota Flyer said:
I think you may have misunderstood me. I realize that it is not a good thing. What I'm looking for is a source ie. article, website etc. that says so. I need something to back up what I already know is true. A pilot with 2 DWI's in a 5 year time span is basically screwed when it comes to getting a job with the majors. I know almost everyone on here will agree with that, I'm just searching for more hard evidence to support the fact.

Thanks

You're asking this question to the wrong group. You need to contact the HR departments at the carriers what their requirements are, and if these are disqualifying circumstances.

Maybe 121 airlines should start using polygraphs in the pre-hire process, rather than relying on previous drunk driving arrests as a hiring limitation.

User997 said:
they've had enough black-eyes in the past few years relating to pilots being accused of flying drunk. To take on someone with previous offenses (nevermind TWO) would be too large of a liability to the company.

There is nothing wrong with flying drunk. That is what the auto-pilot is for.

Latest resources

Back