Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please help a fellow union brother not SCAB.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What you say has a lot of merit. I mainly wish unions could operate without intimidation of some of its members.

Can you specifically tell me what this "intimidation" is that you speak of?

As an old saying goes-regarding "killing the golden goose",

"Management gets the UNION they deserve."

G4, I'm just curious, did you not realize that you were joining a profession that was almost completely unionized? Did you have unrealistic expectations concerning your potential future union affiliation?

I always planned to be a corporate pilot. I am astonished to be at a big company with a unionized workforce. Its hard to imagine a less likely union member than me.

Can you specifically tell me what this "intimidation" is that you speak of?

As an old saying goes-regarding "killing the golden goose",

"Management gets the UNION they deserve."

Intimidation: The policy by otherwise decent people of mistreating scabs for the rest of their careers, and the intimidation of union members who are not sure they would strike if it comes to that or who disagree with some of the union's tactics. BTW, I am not a scab. And probably won't ever be one.

Our negotiators can accomplish NOTHING if they have no leverage from an involved membership. Paying dues is not nearly enough.

I disagree. The company has to negotiate with us, and the clock is running out for them.

I always planned to be a corporate pilot. I am astonished to be at a big company with a unionized workforce. Its hard to imagine a less likely union member than me.
I also planned on being a corporate pilot. My degree is in business and I was affiliated with a Fortune 500 company during my first career. When I began flying I planned on parlaying my business experience into a corporate Fortune 500 gig. Needless to say that didn't happen. All throughout my flying career I understood that you have to adapt and take flying jobs where they presented themselves. I can only assume you found yourself in a similar position.

You had to understand that you may end up in your current situation. I find it hard to believe that someone with the experience required to attain the job you accepted did not know what they were getting themselves in to. You took the job and seem like you enjoy it. Suck it up and embrace the union or quit if that is too much for you. If you continue down the road you are currently on the job and your fellow employees will become unbearable. You can't change the direction of your current work environment, embrace it or move on if you can't face the alternative.

If you will read my posts carefully, you will see I agree with quite a lot of what in-house unions do, and I have moved in your direction during the course of these conversations. Our union has seemingly been taken over by the radicals, which concerns a LOT of us at NJA. The golden goose does need to stay profitable you know, or our jobs go away. And this job is by far the best I ever had.

I don't know anything about your union and who is leading it, so I can't comment on whether they're radicals or not. I do agree with you that far too often, radicals do get control, and it's certainly not a good thing. The only reason we ended getting screwed so badly at AirTran was because a group of radicals got control of the MEC, put people in positions who had no idea what they were doing, and then they got completely steamrolled by a management team that did know what it was doing. So I sympathize if you're dealing with radical know-nothings.

But regardless, a union is a democracy. The "right" side doesn't always win in a democracy. Sometimes the people demand something that isn't in their best interest. And they are entitled to do so. It's their choice. If you happen to wind up on the losing side, you have to suck it up and go along with what the democratic process has dictated. I can't stand the fact that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars on military waste, but I can't simply refuse to pay my taxes because of it. I have to go along with what the democratic process has determined, even if I don't like it. Striking is no different. You may disagree with your fellow pilots on the decision that they've made, but they've made it democratically, so it's your duty to accept it and make the best of it. Stabbing everyone else in the back is not an option.

Latest resources

Back