Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please help a fellow union brother not SCAB.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why is that ironic?

Do you mean the irony of being glad that a dues paying member was driven from his job by the hooliganism of the union crazies? If so, I agree with you. This union "brotherhood" stuff is just a lot of rhetorical class warfare cloaking of darker forces at work, namely POWER OVER OTHERS.

You probably don't know this because you're probably not familiar with the workings of what went down with the SWA - AirTran acquisition and subsequent SLI agreement.

It's ironic because PCL is the biggest and loudest baseball-bat-waving, ALPA-is-always-right, "union-hooliganism"-supporting, self-proclaimed "union thug" on this board; and he's chiding you for talking about quitting the job if things don't go your way and there's a strike at your company. You'd have incurred the wrath of the rest of the pilots, and basically be assisting in what they wanted by quitting, hence the "mission accomplished."

After the spectacular failure of the SWA-AirTran SLI to be resolved in the way the AirTran ALPA MEC believed it would or should, PCL and others in that union incurred a lot of wrath on themselves for what happened (PCL is even widely believed to be named personally in an ongoing lawsuit), and as a result of the merger, PCL is talking about quitting the job because things didn't go his way. And surely the faction that called for his head will believe that his quitting will also be "mission accomplished."

Hence, observable and palpable irony for onlookers.

Bubba

Do you mean the irony of being glad that a dues paying member was driven from his job by the hooliganism of the union crazies? If so, I agree with you. This union "brotherhood" stuff is just a lot of rhetorical class warfare cloaking of darker forces at work, namely POWER OVER OTHERS.

Now it seems as though you're going off the reservation and trying to drag this into a entirely different discussion.

YOUR UNION is whatever you and the rest of your co-workers decide to make it.

There's a ton of $hit about my union that rubs me the wrong way and I wish they would do differently but they don't At the end of the month (5th and 20th) I reflect on my paycheck, and reflect back on all the dirtbag operations I worked at (aviation and non) where they were run by autocratic dictators with a "my way or the highway" attitude, safety, intelligence and profit be damned. Some of their decisions (arguably) were the reasons for people's death and/or the destruction of their livelihood.

I've seen bad (shoot first-aim later) decisions made here with my current employer. Arrogant decisions that made me scratch my head but I slept well at night, resting assured that we had a CBA, a union and a legal process (Grievance) that would most certainly mean a successful and more importantly, RIGHT decision and outcome.

Cross that picket line and let the company toss the union off the property and all that $hit goes out the window.

You may think your employer is "benevolent" enough and you don't need that big, bad, dirty old union.

I'm here to tell you that the only reason SOME employers even appear slightly benevolent is because that union is there as the checks and balance. Sometimes even forcing the company to make the better and safer decisions that arguably keep the company in business.

Ychiding you for talking about quitting the job if things don't go your way and there's a strike at your company.

Chiding him? No, your reading comprehension needs work again, my aptly named friend. I'm glad that he's talking about quitting. That's much better than scabbing. What I chide him for is his anti-union views.

Now it seems as though you're going off the reservation and trying to drag this into a entirely different discussion.

YOUR UNION is whatever you and the rest of your co-workers decide to make it.

There's a ton of $hit about my union that rubs me the wrong way and I wish they would do differently but they don't At the end of the month (5th and 20th) I reflect on my paycheck, and reflect back on all the dirtbag operations I worked at (aviation and non) where they were run by autocratic dictators with a "my way or the highway" attitude, safety, intelligence and profit be damned. Some of their decisions (arguably) were the reasons for people's death and/or the destruction of their livelihood.

I've seen bad (shoot first-aim later) decisions made here with my current employer. Arrogant decisions that made me scratch my head but I slept well at night, resting assured that we had a CBA, a union and a legal process (Grievance) that would most certainly mean a successful and more importantly, RIGHT decision and outcome.

Cross that picket line and let the company toss the union off the property and all that $hit goes out the window.

You may think your employer is "benevolent" enough and you don't need that big, bad, dirty old union.

I'm here to tell you that the only reason SOME employers even appear slightly benevolent is because that union is there as the checks and balance. Sometimes even forcing the company to make the better and safer decisions that arguably keep the company in business.

What you say has a lot of merit. I mainly wish unions could operate without intimidation of some of its members.

Chiding him? No, your reading comprehension needs work again, my aptly named friend. I'm glad that he's talking about quitting. That's much better than scabbing. What I chide him for is his anti-union views.

If you will read my posts carefully, you will see I agree with quite a lot of what in-house unions do, and I have moved in your direction during the course of these conversations. Our union has seemingly been taken over by the radicals, which concerns a LOT of us at NJA. The golden goose does need to stay profitable you know, or our jobs go away. And this job is by far the best I ever had.

You probably don't know this because you're probably not familiar with the workings of what went down with the SWA - AirTran acquisition and subsequent SLI agreement.

It's ironic because PCL is the biggest and loudest baseball-bat-waving, ALPA-is-always-right, "union-hooliganism"-supporting, self-proclaimed "union thug" on this board; and he's chiding you for talking about quitting the job if things don't go your way and there's a strike at your company. You'd have incurred the wrath of the rest of the pilots, and basically be assisting in what they wanted by quitting, hence the "mission accomplished."

After the spectacular failure of the SWA-AirTran SLI to be resolved in the way the AirTran ALPA MEC believed it would or should, PCL and others in that union incurred a lot of wrath on themselves for what happened (PCL is even widely believed to be named personally in an ongoing lawsuit), and as a result of the merger, PCL is talking about quitting the job because things didn't go his way. And surely the faction that called for his head will believe that his quitting will also be "mission accomplished."

Hence, observable and palpable irony for onlookers.

Bubba

Well, THAT certainly IS ironic.

If you will read my posts carefully, you will see I agree with quite a lot of what in-house unions do, and I have moved in your direction during the course of these conversations. Our union has seemingly been taken over by the radicals, which concerns a LOT of us at NJA. The golden goose does need to stay profitable you know, or our jobs go away. And this job is by far the best I ever had.

It doesn't concern a lot of us.

The majority has voted that with the 900 percent increases in terminations we need a more aggressive union. Have you read how the company was trying to incite strike and job actions and the union had to sue them? Twinkie the kid ring a bell?

. This being your first union experience there is a lot to learn and it's obvious you thinking just paying dues is all you need to do.

Do you fly the contract? Do you read the union news? Why do you call union members thugs but don't use derogatory names for the company?

You do understand what the company website was called? The golden goose. Their job was to spread fud. Do you even know what that is?

We all know you won't answer the questions because you don't have the answers. Your friends are scabs and you don't have the balls to stand with your fellow brothers and fight for a new contract.

It doesn't concern a lot of us.

The majority has voted that with the 900 percent increases in terminations we need a more aggressive union. Have you read how the company was trying to incite strike and job actions and the union had to sue them? Twinkie the kid ring a bell?

. This being your first union experience there is a lot to learn and it's obvious you thinking just paying dues is all you need to do.

Do you fly the contract? Do you read the union news? Why do you call union members thugs but don't use derogatory names for the company?

You do understand what the company website was called? The golden goose. Their job was to spread fud. Do you even know what that is?

We all know you won't answer the questions because you don't have the answers. Your friends are scabs and you don't have the balls to stand with your fellow brothers and fight for a new contract.

Gosh. You really don't like me. BTW, my balls are fine. last time I checked. :) And, isn't it the negotiating team's job to "fight for" our new contract?

G4, I'm just curious, did you not realize that you were joining a profession that was almost completely unionized? Did you have unrealistic expectations concerning your potential future union affiliation?

Latest resources

Back