Pinnacle family members sue NWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
commuterpuke said:
Like all of us I wanted the uniform, to fly a cool jet as quick as possible, to feel equal to my friends, have hot chicks look at you during boarding while you flip switches and look cool, and all that other stuff

???????? You're a tool. Do you always wear your uniform to airshows?

No Delay said:
I doubt the APU was running at FL410. There are procedures for Double Engine failure. The pilots had the engines fried before the ever got into the parameters for an air restart.

It was a bad deal and a great loss. But I disagree with the lawsuit. Also, I believe the FAA, Bombardier, and many airlines have changed / updated procedures and limitations as a result of this crash.
ok the plane was brought outside the envelope of operation INTENTIONALLY...and they expected to bring it back inside the envelope and have everything work perfectly? lack of airflow to cool components while going so slow up that high WILL damage something. and then they think these parts should work fine after doing this?...heh heh....yeah right.

commuterpuke said:
Why am I a tool? At least I don't wear my nomex flight suit to fly a 172! Who's the tool now!

That would be you.

redflyer65 said:
They had never been given the training and had NEVER heard of the 'core lock', which was known about at Bombarbier and GE.

Core lock is not some great mystery of RJ engines. Every jet engine on the planet will do the very same thing if abused such as these engines were.

Why do you think a hot start is treated with such respect? Because even a little over temp limits can damage an engine, what these guys caused to happen in their engines was way way beyond what you might expect in the worst hot start.

As somebody else stated, you cannot abuse the equipment and then expect it to perform as advertised 5 minutes later. Machinery does not work that way. If you think it does then maybe you should question your competency to be sitting in the left seat.

Remember, metal fatigue is cumulative. If you abuse a piece of equipment, it may not quit on you, but you have weakened it so that it may fail on some poor slob later, who isn't abusing it. The same is true of internal engine parts. It just so happens that these guys abused it bad enough that it failed on them and saved the next unsuspecting slob from having to deal with their mess.

KeroseneSnorter said:
It just so happens that these guys abused it bad enough that it failed on them and saved the next unsuspecting slob from having to deal with their mess.

That's a good point. It seems like they didn't care to show any TLC to that jet. And had they successfully reignited, in an effort to cover up the mishap, I wonder if they would have reported it to maintenance. The next flight would probably been a revenue one where the engines could have quit without any possibilty to restart due to the earlier damage.

Long Time Gone said:
You can't tell me that neither had EVER received ANY training in high altitude operations or swept wing characteristics.
Pinnacle's training in high-alt and swept-wing aerodynamics is practically nonexistent, and that's even after this accident. Unless you came from flying jets previously, then you'd have to learn everything on your own. Pinnacle doesn't seem to care about teaching anything at all about these sorts of operations, which is a real problem when you are hiring 1000 TT CFIs and BE-1900 drivers.

Our company has a minimum climb speed limitation of 250/.70. Did PCL not have such a limitation prior to this accident?
No, in fact, we did not. That limitation was adopted only after it became apparent that this accident was partly caused by flying at altitude with too low a speed. Thankfully, the FOQA program will now pick up deviations from this limitation also so that the ALPA "gatekeeper" can educate pilots that aren't adhering this limitation for whatever reason.

A truly professional airman seeks out as much information about his operational environment as possible, instead of simply assuming that groundschool taught them all they ever needed to know.

A little judgement and self-study might have prevented this.

Although that actually leads to a sort of chicken-and-egg situation:
Those who are responsible and cautious enough to seek out such information probably are not likelyy to engage in foolish behavior either.

Therfore it still boils down to personality, temperment, etc. We need some way to test for that.

Children+Machinery=Fatalities.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back