Pinnacle family members sue NWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
redflyer65 said:
Neither engine restarted when they pressed the button with the APU running. I suppose your families wouldn't care about that fact. The aircraft is certified to due certain things, and it didn't. The main reason these lawsuits are filed isn't just for the money. These issues will be completely swept under the carpet by the airframe and engine manufactures unless they are held somewhat accountable. These guys paid the ultimate price for the position they got themselves into, but the engines should have restarted. How would you explain that in another accident with a different set of circumstances and there were people in the back? Pick whatever reason you want for an engine flameout, but it shouldn't have core locked. GE knew about this from their flight test. Alot of this info will come out in the lawsuits. Otherwise you would never see it. Let these guys rest in peace and let the process play out.
Do aircraft limitations mean nothing?!? Can I go load my airplane up to two times max takeoff weight, then go pull 5Gs, then have my family sue every company that manufactured a component in that airplane because the wings snapped off?

The engines experienced "Core Lock" and would not start after a dual flameout. Granted, a glance at the AOA and A/S indicator would have alerted them to the imminent dangers down the road, but I guess some of us know more than others. Their fatal mistake was climbing the aircraft too slow or letting it get too slow in the climb. That is a training issue, would you not agree? Also, the crews were not properly trained about flying in the low 40s. When the flame outs occured they were leveled off trying to accelerate. All the pushing and pulling in the climb did not facilitate the engines flaming out. Had they climbed straight up with no messing around, the result would have been the same. If you think differently, please explain how you come to that conclusion. As an example, all the pilots that do V2 climbs to their initial altitude after takeoff on empty legs should be held responsible for anything that goes wrong later in the flight because of the V2 climb? I don't think so. What was it that they were doing at the time of the accidnet that caused the flameouts? What did they do on the way up that caused the flameout?

P-Dawg_QX said:
Do aircraft limitations mean nothing?!? Can I go load my airplane up to two times max takeoff weight, then go pull 5Gs, then have my family sue every company that manufactured a component in that airplane because the wings snapped off?
What limitation was being exceeded at the time of the dual engine failures? Which one? You have a valid point in that situation, but that is clearly not what happened here. I'll ask again, what did this crew do to cause the engines to flame out once they were leveled off trying to accelerate? I have never flown an airplane that cautioned the engines would fail and not relight at the stick shaker.

TinGoose1 said:
The simple fact is that these two individuals are the only pilots who have core locked a CRJ during line operations. When are people going to start taking responsibility for their behavior?
When did another Pinnacle CRJ have a dual engine failure about 350? This was not some new problem, Bombardier has known about it for quite some time now. I love Bombardier products, but they have a difficult time admitting when they are wrong. Do you remember a couple of years ago the rich guy that bought a 604 and had 2 seperate engine failures (indication of oil pressure called for engine to be shut down). The failures were less than a month apart and on seperate engines. Once, they were out over the middle of the Atlantic. The plane was months old, brand new. The guy wanted his money back. Bombardier blamed his pilots for their operational habits. The guy had to get a tag team of lawyers before they settled privately.

Originally Posted by redflyer65
Neither engine restarted when they pressed the button with the APU running. I suppose your families wouldn't care about that fact. The aircraft is certified to due certain things, and it didn't.

I doubt the APU was running at FL410. There are procedures for Double Engine failure. The pilots had the engines fried before the ever got into the parameters for an air restart.

It was a bad deal and a great loss. But I disagree with the lawsuit. Also, I believe the FAA, Bombardier, and many airlines have changed / updated procedures and limitations as a result of this crash.

CA1900 said:
Guys, we're already discussing this lawsuit here.

Who cares? Besides, the subject matter concerns a regional airline so it is more applicable to THIS board.

Eliminating these types of lawsuits is simple. "Loser pays" legislation which requires the plaintiff to pay the defendants legal bills was attempted in the 1990's as part of the Republican "Contract with America".

I won't say his name because my stomach turns at the mere mention, but someone (who was in bed with the American Trial Lawyers Association incidentally) vetoed the bill so it could not become law. So, lawsuits like this one are still rampant, particularly in aviation. Notice how Pinnacle is not named in the suit, could it be that the Charleston based law firm was going for the DEEPEST pockets they could get? They'll try to settle it out of court and get each defendant to cough up a sizable "contribution" to the ole kitty. Just wait and see.

No Delay said:
I doubt the APU was running at FL410. There are procedures for Double Engine failure. The pilots had the engines fried before the ever got into the parameters for an air restart.

It was a bad deal and a great loss. But I disagree with the lawsuit. Also, I believe the FAA, Bombardier, and many airlines have changed / updated procedures and limitations as a result of this crash.
They were fried because the N2 never moved again after the failure.

redflyer65 said:
Neither engine restarted when they pressed the button with the APU running. I suppose your families wouldn't care about that fact. The aircraft is certified to due certain things, and it didn't. The main reason these lawsuits are filed isn't just for the money. These issues will be completely swept under the carpet by the airframe and engine manufactures unless they are held somewhat accountable. These guys paid the ultimate price for the position they got themselves into, but the engines should have restarted. How would you explain that in another accident with a different set of circumstances and there were people in the back? Pick whatever reason you want for an engine flameout, but it shouldn't have core locked. GE knew about this from their flight test. Alot of this info will come out in the lawsuits. Otherwise you would never see it. Let these guys rest in peace and let the process play out.

Holy crap man!!! They were running both engines at full power at high altitude and then through stupidity shut off all air into said engines!!!.....Now just what do you expect to happen to the engines???

They got really really hot.....flamed out and then seized up..........just what any jet engine would do in that situation.

Good grief, just what do you think those cool down limits in every jet engines limitations are for?

They were stupid, not a theory, or a jab, but the CVR and data recorders clearly record stupidity by the crew. So now you advocate that because the crew was stupid, that their family members shold collect millions???

Sad, very Sad.

Lottery ticket?

Did you expect anything less than low character from the families who paid for their kids to get on at airlines with lower times than they would have been able to if they had had to compete with hard-working pilots that earned their flight time instead of going to GIA?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back