Pinnacle family members sue NWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
What limitation was being exceeded at the time of the dual engine failures? Which one?

FDR says the engine temps were being grossly exceeded at the time they shut down. When they get that hot and quit, those compressor blades tend to stick to other metal. And getting the stick shaker then the push and over riding it at FL410???? I doubt the family sees a dime.

HawkerF/O said:
What limitation was being exceeded at the time of the dual engine failures? Which one? You have a valid point in that situation, but that is clearly not what happened here. I'll ask again, what did this crew do to cause the engines to flame out once they were leveled off trying to accelerate? I have never flown an airplane that cautioned the engines would fail and not relight at the stick shaker.

The limitation that they broke was stalling the airplane at high altitude. I do not fly the CRJ, but it is like anyother sweptwing jet, Any full stall is taking your life in your hands, one at high altitude is even worse.

There is a reason that shakers and pushers exist on sweptwing airplanes. When they intentionally overrode the shaker/pusher 3 times(Per the report I read), they moved into unknown and dangerous territory. A jet engine needs air to run for combustion, BUT that air also keeps the engine cool, shut off the air at a high thrust setting (such as a full stall at high altitude) and the engine has enough air for combustion just long enough to let the internal temperatures climb to blast furnace proportions...as happened in this case. If memory serves from reading the report, somewhere in the neighborood of 600 degrees OVER redline. That kind of temp will melt just about anything.

The engines seizing the N2 compressors was a logical and forseen result of the pilots actions in my opinion.

I guess I would make a lousy lawyer. No way would I try to sue GE on this, Pinnacles training department maybe, but not the builder.

Bingo

TinGoose1 said:
When are people going to start taking responsibility for their behavior?

TinGoose scores a home run. The rest of the post was right on target but the Goose's one sentence above says it all. The families of these two idiots who crashed the CRJ like it was a hotrod on a Friday night coming home from the bar should be keeping a low profile, not trying to blame (and get lots of money from) innocent parties (who, by the way, have lots of money!) Those boys died because they were stupid, not because of a lack of training. Does the training department also have to tell you to look both ways before you cross the street? Is it their fault if they don't tell you that and you get killed by a car on your way to CRJ class? At what point does common sense prevail? Both pilots had access to the AFM and many other materials including operating limitations and stardard procedures for operating the CRJ. A professional pilot would want to know these things. This crash (crash, not accident) happened because two pilots would rather clown around when noone was watching than obey the rules. That they did this only when noone was watching speaks volumes about their (lack of) maturity and character. Why should NWA or Bombardier pay their families a cent for their stupidity?

If these two now DEAD PILOTS had flown this like the dispatcher filed it for them, they'd be alive today. I guess the moral of the story is not to treat a repo or a ferry flight like a Friday Night in a hotrod like Nancy said.

"The cause of the crash hasn't determined." Where have these writers been??? Rather apparent to me what the cause of the crash was.

405 said:
If these two now DEAD PILOTS had flown this like the dispatcher filed it for them, they'd be alive today.

Bang on.

Loss is loss is loss, in this case these guys lost their lives and we're playing MMQB- but we're right and they're dead.

Nobody owes their families anything more than our condolences, and from me that's in spades.

screwed_again said:
This is the problem with our legal system; two guys screw around and die. Its not their fault, its NWA, GE and Bombardier's faults. Hit 'em law suits and settle out of court because its easier for the companies involved. Why isn't the FO's family sueing the Captain's family? Because there is no money in the Rhode's checking account! I would be embarrassed if I was part of one of these families.

Here's the story: http://www.startribune.com/535/story/178952.html

I doubt it was their training.

405 said:
If these two now DEAD PILOTS had flown this like the dispatcher filed it for them, they'd be alive today. I guess the moral of the story is not to treat a repo or a ferry flight like a Friday Night in a hotrod like Nancy said.

"Aww, f*ck dude... they never would have made it to 4-1-0 then. Dude, what matters more? Your plan or 4-1-0? Aww, dude..."

405 you are right on. Following the dispatcher's plan or having one pax on board and those moron's wouldn't have balled that thing up. Stupid is as stupid does, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back