Pinnacle family members sue NWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-Dawg_QX said:
Do aircraft limitations mean nothing?!? Can I go load my airplane up to two times max takeoff weight, then go pull 5Gs, then have my family sue every company that manufactured a component in that airplane because the wings snapped off?

Why, yes -- I believe you can. ;)

Long Time, I would have never gotten myself into the position they did, its just not in my nature. Have I made some mistakes flying along the way, absolutely. But none that was as periless as these guys. I have learned from my mistakes and I'm trying my best to learn from theirs. I understand that the engines overtemped. But the manufacture came upon the core lock during test flying and NEVER attempted a windmilling relight. They ALWAYS left the APU running for the restart. How many times do we have the luxury of leaving the APU running? How about never. They say the engines should restart after a core lock event, it takes a matter of minutes for the engines to be "un-locked". So what happened exactly? I would like to know. Unless you put the manufacturer on the stand, you will probably never know.

PCL128 is dead on when it comes to high altitude training. If it cost too much, it probably won't be done. Period. Did it come back bite them, I think so. Another example would be the unions attempt at instituting FOQA. The comany resisted at every turn, time and time again. If the pilots had known FOQA would track their activity, maybe, just maybe they wouldn't have down the stupid things they did. Now miraculously we have FOQA.

To give another training example......When does the shaker come on during stall manuevers at 10,000ft? For those of you that don't know, its the top of the snake. When does it come on at say FL370? You wouldn't know any different if you went through training at PCL. It comes on just below the green line (supposed 1.27VS). During the hearings, it came out that the shaker comes on quicker at higher altitudes more so for engine protection and NOT for wing protection. I had never heard this before. Do we have the manufacturers training manuals? No. Is there more to learn? Definitely.

How slow did they get in the climb? I remember some insane slow speed like 190 KIAS or .53 Mach. Something like that. Stupid!

DetoXJ said:
How slow did they get in the climb? I remember some insane slow speed like 190 KIAS or .53 Mach. Something like that. Stupid!

From the NTSB report:

The altitude levels off at about 36,400 feet and the airspeed increases to slightly above 200 knots. Then the altitude continues to increase to approximately 41,000 feet, the airspeed bleeds off to about 165 knots, and the pitch and AOA continue to increase to about 6 and 5 degress, respectively. After the altitude levels off at 41,000 feet the airspeed continues to bleed off to about 150 knots as the pitch and AOA continue increasing to about 7.5 degrees at about the same time as the stick shaker activates and the auto-pilot
disengages.

Pathetic. I hope their families spend 10s of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and then have it thrown out of court. The pilots screwed the pooch, plain and simple.

mesaba2425 said:
Pathetic. I hope their families spend 10s of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and then have it thrown out of court. The pilots screwed the pooch, plain and simple.

Having been through my share of regional ground schools, I can say one thing is for sure: the most knowledgeble pilots don't teach ground schools. Ground school is a sanctuary for expecting mothers, recovering drunks, and most other forms of medical issues. I cringe at the idea of going back to several more weeks of ground school, and I nearly faint at the idea of having to teach one. One place I worked had INTERNS who didn't have enough flight time to fly the line teaching ground schools. The blind leading the nearly blind.

Face it. These guys were screwing around at 410 because they didn't even know enough that they didnt know. Whos fault is that? Pinnacles, and every other cost cutting regional airline out there.

Sue their asses off.

p.s. they lost thier sons, now you wish them to be broke as well. geeezzz.

oops....double clicked.

See below.

Last edited:
redflyer65 said:
PCL128 is dead on when it comes to high altitude training.

To both of you....

Fair 'nough. Thanks for the answers. It's a shame that the training was/is non existent. Would've saved lives, maybe. Then again, from what I've heard about Rhodes, maybe not.......unfortunately.

I've done the Dual Failure in the sim in the -700. Trust me, it's an eye opener. Huge difference, I understand, but still the same. Even by following the checklist to a "T", the aircraft entered the rapid-relight envelope prior to restart, and we didn't regain power until about 10000 ft. For those of you who have never done it in the sim, request and insist on it during your next LOFT/recurrent flight training/etc.

loverobot said:
Face it. These guys were screwing around at 410 because they didn't even know enough that they didnt know. Whos fault is that? Pinnacles, and every other cost cutting regional airline out there.

Sue their asses off.

p.s. they lost thier sons, now you wish them to be broke as well. geeezzz.

Why is it that you're only the 2nd person here that sees it that way?

Things that make you go HHHMMMMMMMMMMM.........

loverobot said:
Face it. These guys were screwing around at 410 because they didn't even know enough that they didnt know. Whos fault is that?

Theirs. Simple as that. A professional pilot is expected to know these things, and should want to know them and seek the knowledge even if it's not spoon fed to them in ground school. That's what professionals do, perhaps not by definition, but certainly in attitude.

What is it with this attitude that someone only needs to know what is spoon fed to them in school, and no more? I suspect it begins with the "train to pass the test" approach taken in many high schools and flight schools. Teach and learn the bare minimum just to pass a test, then move on to the next layer of shallow knowledge built on the resulting weak foundation. It's somewhat less prevalent in colleges, and that's one more good reason (along with learning some critical thinking skills and perhaps more maturity) to make a college degree a mandatory requirement for airline pilot hiring.

loverobot said:
Pinnacles, and every other cost cutting regional airline out there.

Maybe they cut costs, but that doesn't excuse these two idiots their immature, incompetent and dangerous behavior. Blaming their attitude on the quality of training at the Pinnacle training department is absurd, as is blaming Pinnacle for not teaching about core lock - it would be really nice if Pinnacle had unlimited time and budget to teach this stuff but this has nothing to do with whether these two idiots should have been deliberately overriding safety systems in an empty CRJ until both engines compressor stalled and overtemped the hot sections - should Pinnacle have a special class for that, or should they assume a higher level of maturity in their line pilot candidates?

Latest resources

Back