• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Delta Flow-through

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who's dumb enough to believe hiring projections for the next 15 years?

In the late '90's the DOT projected airline capacity to double by 2010. Now that 2010 is right around the corner we are looking like capacity will be even less than it was in 1999.

Better yet, who's dumb enough to believe that scope erosion is actually done? I've thought that to be the case for years, but I'm proven wrong every single time. Anybody else still remember when Delta was limited to outsourcing just 57 70-seaters? Seems like just yesterday.

Well, if our recent outcry here is any indication, I think scope is a non-starter for many. They have given up so much that any more would put them over the edge. It sounds like the MEC finally heard this.

It is not a hiring projection. It is a retirement projection, which unlike hiring is always conservative. As we now can fly until 65 you will see more and more people medical out. We are already double the projected number of retirements for 09 and we are only though March.

Well its good for a few of you. Im a seeing eye doggy doesn't fly for the airlines and never will and doesn't want to. BUT STILL FINDS HIMSELF HERE ON THE AIRLINE BOARDS.....FLY(I)likeboys is such a junior fo it will be ten years for him to make captain to start to get pic....so he doesn't have to worry since he won't be qualified in that amount of time anyway and he"ll be damned if he wants a flow through......and JOE must be 57 since that is about the time going to main line wouldn't pan out IN ANY CATEGORY by the end!

So there are three that don't even have to worry about believing it. Good for you guys!:beer:

Well, if our recent outcry here is any indication, I think scope is a non-starter for many. They have given up so much that any more would put them over the edge. It sounds like the MEC finally heard this.

Prediction: their tune will change when they see a TA that offers them big raises in exchange for letting go "just a few more seats." Then they'll be the loudest whiners when the furloughs start and their relative seniority doesnt look so good anymore after the 12,500 pilot airline becomes a 9,000 pilot airline. You and I have seen this show before. I don't expect it to change this time around. Unfortunately.

Joe what I am saying is that if you are in your mid 30's and in the bottom 25% of the DCI list, yeah it may suck.
That is not the norm. You know that. For you Joe, you would flow in a year or two tops.

1. It would take more than a "year or two tops"...I don't see you guys hiring many in the next "year or two". When you do start hiring, you have the Compass and Mesaba folks already in line....not to mention the "friends and family" and "squadron buddies".

2. Let's be optimistic and say it would take me 4 years to flow...I think it would be longer, but will use 4 for argument sake...I'm used picking my schedule with 18 days off and 4 weeks of vacation that I turn into 12 weeks.....while making over 100K a year...How long does it take me to get back to that point after getting hired...not just money...but QOL also?

3. There are more than you think that start to fall into these categories of it not making as much sense as one would think....

4. More ASA pilots got hired at Delta in the past 2 years than Eagle pilots who have "flowed up" since the beginning of the Eagle flowthrough.

Read it again Joe. It does, he stated that there were other requirements. I am sure that they are the same basic DAL requirements.

I don't believe NWA had a 4 year degree requirement...did it? If not, this will be an interesting situation....

...yet they didn't take any action to even study the stapling of Compass...even after it passed at most LECs....

It is not a hiring projection. It is a retirement projection, which unlike hiring is always conservative. As we now can fly until 65 you will see more and more people medical out. We are already double the projected number of retirements for 09 and we are only though March.

United and American have retired thousands of pilots in the past 10 years....yet it takes over 10 years to hold the plug position at those two carriers...

Latest resources

Back