Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have Left Fractionals for Airlines or Corporate - Happier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a furloughed NJ guy that was lucky enough to get a federal law enforcement flying job. Great pay, great benefits, home almost every night, great retirement, and I don't deal with TSA anymore. I'm fortunate to say that I won't be going back...

I'm a furloughed NJ guy that was lucky enough to get a federal law enforcement flying job. Great pay, great benefits, home almost every night, great retirement, and I don't deal with TSA anymore. I'm fortunate to say that I won't be going back...

Nice...

Furlouhed NJA, now 737 capt with a supplemental. miss the hard sched, home based and free bennies at NJA. Constant drama here at the supps, losing contracts, base changes, constant pay cuts and "work rule" changes.

I enjoyed the hawker 800 and most about the flying at NJA. was satisfied and content there and was happy to "hang my hat" there. Here, this is just a transit job with not much of a future. If I got called back tomorrow, I would put it off though to get as much time in the 73 as I could "just in case."

I guess I dont share as much resentment toward NJA as others. I just hope the job at NJA somewhat resembles what it was in the past when/if I go back.

Have talked to close to two dozen 495ers out on the road over the past couple of years. I'd say that close to 2/3 of them have found greener pastures in my unscientific polling. My questions were along the "how do you like the job?" and "would you consider coming back" type chit-chat and I'd add that most of the folks I spoke with were between '10-'11, so that may skew the data to some extent.

Have talked to close to two dozen 495ers out on the road over the past couple of years. I'd say that close to 2/3 of them have found greener pastures in my unscientific polling. My questions were along the "how do you like the job?" and "would you consider coming back" type chit-chat and I'd add that most of the folks I spoke with were between '10-'11, so that may skew the data to some extent.

Also, when/if recalls happen in the next few years it won't be because of growth or any positive management concept. It will be because the EMT has made NJA so much less than when they were hired people will just be leaving out of frustration with the company.... Attrition/recall due to negative career advancement is not a positive IMO. Recall by default is not something that many will be willing to leave decent jobs for....

Laid off Flex myself. I did 91 contract which paid well but at times the airplane manager wasn't tending to the planes well which was very frustrating. Ended up at a small charter. I have lots of unscheduled time off but since I live in my home town with the fam it's fine.

Life is hard in the margins, mx is on tight budget so we carry many MEL's at times and it's a constant stuggle to get management to spend money.

The equipment, mx, pay, and schedule were exponetially better at Flex and I would go back. At Flex I was never asked if we really needed that particular gauge or system to complete the trip, could I do another trip with less than legal rest; and then get fussed at when I responded with the safe and legal answer.

It's the difference between professional and amateur.

The one large 91 outfit I've done contract work for is on par with Flex and they both pay well and have enough staff to give hard days off. Problem is some one has to die in order for there to be an opening.

Background: 6 years at Flt options. Beechjet all six years. 13 months to upgrade to capt. Decided to leave Flops when the teamsters were voted in. Applied to SWA in mar 06, 737 type in Jun 06, interview Jul 06, started class at SWA Sep 06.
Now, to answer your questions:

- How does your current flying gig compare to your fractional job?
A LOT less stress.

- Are you happier at your new gig? If so, why? If not, why not?
So much happier now. Doubled my pay from options the second year. Great plane, great coworkers. Lots of flying, (no sitting around fbos)

- Do you miss fractional flying and that lifestyle? What do you miss about it? What do you not miss?
i miss nothing about it.

- How does the flying equipment compare outside the fractional world - impressed/not impressed? Maybe your current aircraft can't compare to the CL300 you flew at Flexjet in terms of...
The plane i fly now is amazing. The support is better. If something breaks, it's fixed at the next stop or two, max.

- If you could return to the fractional world (i.e., offered recall), would you return or not?
I don't like to say "never" but, never.

Background : Hired at Corporate Wings in the beginning of 99 to fly a citation 2 and Conquest 2 was there three weeks and called for a beechjet initial and transfer to flight options did a year on the beechjet had a 6 month upgrade spent my 7.5 years there in the mid cabin program.

It was a great job I mean a blast I was single flew all over the place had some great layovers really miss the early years of flight options. Flops was a great job that got worse every year. 1 year the senior flight officer program dissappeared along with $1200 a month, next year the $450 travel bonus went bye bye, then the large cabin jets started dissapparing etc... I was sub 100 on the sen list and at the time there was around 900 pilots.

Bailed for jetblue in late 05 and dont think i could ever go back to corporate or frac. I love the pbs I love asking the wife what events we have planned the next month and bidding accordingly, I love the fly the jet go home mentality.

I certainly dont miss loading bags on a hot august summer day in pbi completely soaked in sweat

Flying is not as dynamic or exciting but who cares. The only thing i think about is my family when i am on the road anyways I could care less about the plane. It has wings, burns jet fuel and goes really fast they all do.

If i stayed at flops I would be pic on the citation X and barely making 85K

Will do about $150k this year plus retirement and benes

What Mr. Magoo said above, with 10 exclamation points.

Best day of my flying life was getting the call from SWA. Second best day was buttoning up the jet at CShares knowing I was never coming back.

After more than six years away from Shares, I still taxi past FBOs I used to rot inside of while sitting in Barcaloungers and shudder.

Mega dittos a-la Mr. Magoo and Clueless. I suppose I'll eventually see you two on the road...likely after 2015.

Latest resources

Back