Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have Left Fractionals for Airlines or Corporate - Happier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- How does your current flying gig compare to your fractional job?

- Are you happier at your new gig? If so, why? If not, why not?

- Do you miss fractional flying and that lifestyle? What do you miss about it? What do you not miss?

- How does the flying equipment compare outside the fractional world - impressed/not impressed? Maybe your current aircraft can't compare to the CL300 you flew at Flexjet in terms of...

- If you could return to the fractional world (i.e., offered recall), would you return or not?

-Other than flying airplanes it doesn't compare. I know the people I fly every time and I have to answer to them. If something goes poorly on a trip you don't have dispatch, scheduling, logistics, etc to blame. Can't just go to the hotel and hope their next trip goes better.

-Yes I'm happier. Better pay, better schedule (less days and overnights), not the constant management/pilot struggles, better food, better hotels, no constant threat of layoffs, less drama/rumors, no commuting.

-I miss a couple of the guys I used to fly with. I miss the different airports we used to go to.

-Equipment is in better shape since it gets less use and the same pilots fly it all the time.

-I left before any furloughs so I would never see a recall but if I was offered one I would turn it down.

Left a great corporate job for the stability of NJA. My currency ran out, got furloughed, sent out over 100 resumes, 1 interview, still unemployed. I'd have no choice but to accept a recall, but I doubt I'll make it through training at this point. My career flying is over as far as I can tell.....

In hindsight, the corporate gig was just a way better life style. NJA was fun but those days are gone forever. Resentment will prevent me from ever enjoying NJA again.....

I'm 100% certain you'll make it through training (if we ever were to get recalled).. After a few sims and once you get back into "training mode" it'll be like riding a back..

As for the resentment, yeah we'll have that... I'm certain the NJA bashing will be prevalent in the cockpit and in the FBO's...I know every meal I eat will be hot and on a plate in the FBO. The plane will be attended to when I'm done. Etc Etc...

Left a great corporate job for the stability of NJA. My currency ran out, got furloughed, sent out over 100 resumes, 1 interview, still unemployed. I'd have no choice but to accept a recall, but I doubt I'll make it through training at this point. My career flying is over as far as I can tell.....

In hindsight, the corporate gig was just a way better life style. NJA was fun but those days are gone forever. Resentment will prevent me from ever enjoying NJA again.....

It may take a few years but I really do believe you will be back on property and you will have no problem with the training.

Keep the Faith.

Try to jump on this airline retirements hiring boom for now. You CAN do it!

Most of the posts so far are encouraging and it is good to hear that people have landed at what appears to be a better place. Hang in there for those that haven't found what they're looking for.

I’ve been lucky and only have had three places to call home since I graduated from the university. My average tenure was 12.5 years and while I enjoyed each position, I never wanted to return to a former job…it would never be the same and “newness” (i.e. people, challenges, lifestyle, etc) appeals to some people.

Times are still very tough, and may get worse this year, but that new job is out there some place if you keep looking. There is always a need for good people.

Left CA for a corporate gig. Better pay, better benefits. Rarely a long duty day. My schedule is not fixed but do have hard days off every month and do not get abused. Like not flying the airlines four times a month and dont miss 7 days on the road. Would not go back to CA if I had the chance. Very fortunate to have found such a good position.

When moving from fractional to corporate the first big difference was: I got to use the dresser in the hotel because I was there a few days. With fractional you never take anything from your bag unless you're going to wear it.

Man! That is sooo true.

I left a Frac of my own accord in 2007 for a job with a Major. They guys I fly with now always ask the same question. My answer is always the same. No matter where you go, it's a crap shoot. You roll the dice an take your chance. My jump worked out. I am much happier. I was miserable before I left. Much, much happier now.

I did get furloughed from the 121 carrier I'm with and picked up a corporate gig (thank goodness for all the types I racked up at the frac). Then, as soon as I get back from recurrent for the new job, the airplane goes up for sale. Then, my carrier started recalling a month and a half later. Lucky roll of the dice.

If I had been with NJA, I likely would never have left. Good pay and about as secure a future as one can hope for in any flying job. That said, I'm still very junior...barely off reserve, making about the same money but any day I need off, I can get with little effort. I either do a little swapping or trading or call the CP. At the frac, there was one time that I asked to come out 2 days late so I could make my 20th high school reunion (yes, I actually wanted to go)...DENIED. I'm talking 2-3 months notice. I didn't dare call out sick after making the formal/honest request. Do the right thing and you get what you deserve.

Not as much variety in the flying but in the end, our time in this career is finite and my mission is to make the most money I can while getting as much time off as I can so I can spend quality time with my family.

Left a frac back in October. Went to the FAA. Much better quality of life, better pay after the first year, awesome bennies, about as stable a job as you'll ever find. No regrets and no desire to go back. I still get to fly a little and most importantly, I get to see my kids grow up.

Furloughed from NJA. Could not find a job flying. Worked at 2 non-flying jobs and ended up as an accountant/financial analyst with a small company.

Latest resources

Back