Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have Left Fractionals for Airlines or Corporate - Happier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
in a nut shell, yes, I am happier

I was furloughed from NJA.

I got hired as manager of a growing shipping company located at the port of Long Beach. My pay is equal to a NJA JR captain, with better health benefits, and a company provided pension. I am home every night and can take time off whenever I like. The opportunities to advance in this company seem endless.

I thought I would never say this, but there is no way I will ever go back to the aviation industry (NJA recall included). I have turned down several pilot gigs, including a few Major Airline Interviews.

My story is similar to Mr. Magoo's. 8 years at Options all in the Beechjet. I left in July 2008 for SWA and feel so fortunate. So much less stress. More money, better employee relations, better benefits. The flying at Options was fun but at the time I left the job wasn't fun anymore. 2008 was a hard time at Options and no one was happy. I have never regretted leaving. I miss most of the guys I flew with. I feel for all the guys on the street and hope that they have the opportunity to return. Hopefully most have found something better.

nj to wn

I got hired by WN back in 05 when I was an NJA captain. It was right before the big contract. When I left it was a no brainer: I was making about 80k/yr as a Hawker Capt.

For the first year at SWA, I often thought I made the wrong decision. I liked the flying much more at NJA, the planes were more fun to fly, the passengers were friendlier, the pilots were nicer, and the schedule better. At SWA, I flew on reserve my first year, flying 85 hrs a month with long duty days. The Captains I flew with were ex fighter pilots who clearly thought that anyone civilian is a moron and a $hitty pilot. It was not fun, and I thought of quitting and return to NJA. The only reason I didn't was for the fact that I would start at the bottom of the NJA seniority.

By my second year, I got off reserve and my pay went from about 65k to 95k. I started liking working there much more. I also started a family and having the ability to fly only three days a week was a godsend for the wife and kids. As my bidding ability improved, so did my happiness at SWA.

After seven years, I can now say that it was good decision to leave NJA. I make about 150k and fly 3 days a week as an FO. I will upgrade in another 4 years or so. But who cares.

I do miss the corporate flying and do look fondly at the FBOs when I taxi by. If you are happy flying corporate/fractionals, and are making over 100k, there is no need to leave for the airlines.

Do not come to the airlines if you have to commute and have kids at home. Stay where you're at.

I will upgrade in another 4 years or so. But who cares.
You and I are the same senority. Its not gonna happen in 4 years. I dont care if I ever upgrade, been there done that. QOL is where its at for me. Except for flying with the occassional moron.

Do not come to the airlines if you have to commute and have kids at home. Stay where you're at.
I couldnt agree more with this. If you are going to commute stay where you are at. Unless you see downsizing in your future. I dont know how some commute their entire careers.

Being able to live wherever you want and NOT have to commute is huge. Probably more of a factor in flying for a fractional than any other componenent of aviation.

I used to do a 1 hr commute and it still killed me. Rotting in terminals waiting for the flight home after you missed the last one by 2 minutes. Sitting in Ops for 5 hrs waiting for your trip to start.... Flying is great but I want to be paid for the time I'm away from home. Commuting to an airline does not allow that unless you live in base. If you live in a base then 121 is better IMO.

While at NJA, if I had to wait a few hours for a flight home, it was done in an oversized FBO chair reclined watching ESPN. When it was close to commute time, I'd wait for my pre arranged limo, sedan or taxi to take me to the terminal. If I missed the flight for whatever reason, NJA just booked me on another one. No questions asked.

Going back to traditional corporate is looking better every day.

If it weren't for the schedule, I'd have been OUT long ago.

Latest resources

Back