Pilots in the job market--

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SeaSpray said:
You can't compare the Southwest Airlines Pilot's Association, a non-profit organization of Southwest pilots formed by Southwest pilots, which works with management to increase operating efficiencies, to the very much for profit International Brotherhood of Teamsters with their history of involvment with organized crime, corrupt leadership, forcing companies out of business, and prosecution under the RICO Act.

This is the mission statement from the SWAPA site I referenced:

Our Mission is to provide a secure and rewarding career for our pilots and their families by:
[FONT=times new roman, Times New Roman, Times]- Equitably enhancing compensation and quality of life issues through contract negotiations,

[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman, Times New Roman, Times]
- Faithfully defending individual and collective contractual rights via administration and enforcement procedures, and

[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman, Times New Roman, Times]
- Actively promoting professionalism and safety through effective organizational communications.

[/FONT]

Sounds like some of the very items that 1108 pursues for NetJets pilots.

Last edited:
My knowledge of SWA comes from pilots that we know (mostly former AF) who have been flying there for years. Your post just reiterated my point that the pilots of SWA are treated respectfully--like the professionals they are--and their contribution to the company is recognized and rewarded. They helped to grow the company--NJ pilots have done the same. SW rewarded their pilots and made them partners. NJ exploited their pilots and made them adversaries. The NJ pilots weren't given financial incentives; they got broken promises instead. They should have been flying from home years ago like NJI--to name just one example. The pilots could give you others--fair wages being at the top of the list. The SWA story of success could be applied to any company and its workers. The carrot approach works better than the stick. Well treated/compensated employees are motivated to go the extra mile.

With a telling result, during negotiations 1108 offered a pay proposal that had built-in adjustments based on the number of pilots employed. It would have given pilots more money as the company grew and automatically trimmed salaries back during lean times. Management wasn't interested. When comparing NJ to SW, I don't see a difference in the pilots that I know at each company. However, the differences in management style are obvious and significant.

As for profits, the company is a very lucrative business. The focus was on growth, not money in the bank. NJA profits were used to subsidize other NJ start-ups around the world. They admitted as much to the pilots when it was no longer possible to deny the truth. The money has always been there. The only thing lacking is Herb's approach to how pilots should be treated.

netjetwife said:
As for profits, the company is a very lucrative business. The focus was on growth, not money in the bank. NJA profits were used to subsidize other NJ start-ups around the world. They admitted as much to the pilots when it was no longer possible to deny the truth. The money has always been there. The only thing lacking is Herb's approach to how pilots should be treated.

SO is the money there or not? You say the profits were spent. Then you say they have the money. NJA is NOT profitable. WN is. WN spends its profits on growth, but is still profitable. You can't spend more money than you make and be profitable.

I'm suggesting that the other NJ companies around the world will need to stand on their own and stop relying on NJA to subsidize them. NetJets is a world wide company, even though we think only of NJA. Maybe NJ Scotland wouldn't have been started yet had they been paying the American pilots properly. Our pilots were rather tired of hearing how much better their European counterparts had it, while the money made on the backs of NJA pilots was used to keep NJE going until they became profitable. Perhaps other NJs (you can supply the names of the countries) around the world will not be started yet. Now that more of the money will be kept in America--where it belongs in the pilots' pockets--the rampant growth may slow down a bit. On the other hand, maybe not. It very well may be that there is enough money to pay the pilots better AND fund the start-up of other NJs. After all, our SU leaders were told that NJA had unlimited resources to fight the pilots. That told all of us that they had the money to pay the pilots fairly, as well. Management finally decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to keep holding onto the wages the pilot group had already earned. NJA pilots know that there wasn't a sudden change of heart at the top of the company. It's plain to anyone who has followed the dispute closely that the pilots had to fight hard for their new contract. Plans were underway to picket Wall Street and the busy holiday period was looming when the company finally got serious about working out a deal.

I have Berkshire Hathaway B (BRK.B) in my portfolio. This is from their last stock holder report.

NetJets earned a modest amount in the U.S. last year. But what we earned domestically was largely offset by losses in Europe. We are now, however, generating real momentum abroad. Contracts (including 25-hour cards that we ourselves market in Europe) increased from 364 to 693 during the
year. We will again have a very significant European loss in 2005, but domestic earnings will likely put us in the black overall.

GV

Thanks, GV! I'll take that as reinforcement of my post. Furthermore, let's all keep in mind that "modest" to the wealthy is way above the pilot salaries --even with the new pay raise. The money has always been there; they just didn't want to share it. I doubt it's much different at the other fractional companies. The businesses have been built on the backs of the pilots. Time to be fair and pay them like the professionals they are. Pay raises are way overdue--across the industry. It made sense for the biggest pilot group to go first. At the risk of being labeled a terrorist, I'll suggest that now is the time for the rest of you to make the most of this opportunity.

Best of luck!
Netjetwife

PS My definition of Jihad, as it applies to frac pilots---

J ust standing up for their rights
I nsisting on fair treatment and pay
H olding out for what they have earned
A ll standing together, shoulder to shoulder
D emanding they be recognized as professionals

GVFlyer said:
I have Berkshire Hathaway B (BRK.B) in my portfolio. This is from their last stock holder report.

NetJets earned a modest amount in the U.S. last year. But what we earned domestically was largely offset by losses in Europe. We are now, however, generating real momentum abroad. Contracts (including 25-hour cards that we ourselves market in Europe) increased from 364 to 693 during the
year. We will again have a very significant European loss in 2005, but domestic earnings will likely put us in the black overall.

GV

netjetwife said:
Thanks, GV! I'll take that as reinforcement of my post. Furthermore, let's all keep in mind that "modest" to the wealthy is way above the pilot salaries --even with the new pay raise. The money has always been there; they just didn't want to share it. I doubt it's much different at the other fractional companies. The businesses have been built on the backs of the pilots. Time to be fair and pay them like the professionals they are. Pay raises are way overdue--across the industry. It made sense for the biggest pilot group to go first. At the risk of being labeled a terrorist, I'll suggest that now is the time for the rest of you to make the most of this opportunity.

Best of luck!
Netjetwife

I don't see how any native English speaker could read GV's extract from the BK Stockholder Report and arrive at the conclusion that NetJets is awash in cash. It's clear from Buffet's statement that the he was just hoping that Netjets wouldn't lose anymore money in 2005.

By the way, NJW, I deleted the section of your post dealing with Jihad as I found it to be in extremely poor taste. There are many service families that are missing a mom or a dad this Christmas and maybe all future Christmases because of Jihad.

-30-

Last edited:
You jumped into the middle of the conversation---

GEXDriver, apparently you haven't read all of the other threads from the last few days. My mention of Jihad was an effort to turn a cruel, ugly post by WheresRocky into a more positive outlook. You must have missed his post.

RUFM up...Radical Union fundamentalist movement
"Netjetwife and others are involved in a full time JIHAD now. Evidence: 99% of their posts of late are spreading their radical pro-union stance....."

The regulars on this board know that we're a retired AF family and my husband , also, flew combat in Iraq. I offer support to our NJ pilots during their deployments. The connection you are making between my post and our military members is unfounded. The NJ pilots who were deployed still followed the contract battle closely and would understand the motivation behind my post.

My heart goes out to anyone missing a family member this Christmas. I know only too well what that is like. We have evil people in America, too.

Latest resources

Back