• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots are dumb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What a garbage career. I cannot believe people are actually dropping tens of thousands of dollars in training to actually get a shot at making 20K/year in addition to being on the road half the month.

I have thrown the towel in from an established career to make a career elsewhere.

How do people justify spending almost six-figures on training for a job that pays minimum wage? Last time I checked the clerk at 7-11 did not pay $75k to train for his job(he is too smart to do that).

Before long widebodies will be flown for $55k/year.

Pilots were once pricks, now they are just dumb. Continue the stabs in the back and enjoy the work and medical and check rides for dirt money. No thanks...
Enjoy

Why don't you combine the two jobs?

I fly as little as I can, dropping as much as I can and take every reduced flying line, COLA etc.
Run 2 businesses on the side and average 70K/month.

Keep my love and passion for aviation and enjoy life thanks to working with my brain.

This is America, anyone can do that.

I fly as little as I can, dropping as much as I can and take every reduced flying line, COLA etc.

What types of businesses do you run on the side?

What a garbage career. I cannot believe people are actually dropping tens of thousands of dollars in training to actually get a shot at making 20K/year in addition to being on the road half the month.

I have thrown the towel in from an established career to make a career elsewhere.

How do people justify spending almost six-figures on training for a job that pays minimum wage? Last time I checked the clerk at 7-11 did not pay $75k to train for his job(he is too smart to do that).

Pilots were once pricks, now they are just dumb. Continue the stabs in the back and enjoy the work and medical and check rides for dirt money. No thanks...
Enjoy

i have no idea what you are talking about....!

125k isn't really much if you're raising a family especially someplace expensive like on the east coast. First of all, you've got to max our your 401k and your IRA because your pension was robbed from you. That knocks the 125k down to 105k. Toss in health insurance union dues and we're down to 100k before taxes.

Now taxes will probably eat up at least 20k of your 100k so now you're down to 80k. So we went from 125k to 80k without even spending a dime. A mortgage on the east coast could easily cost you 30k a year, now we're down to 50k. Two car payments+insurance now we're down to 40k. Food for a family of four, 12k a year now we're at 28k. Heating/cooling/water etc bills 5k, we're down to 23k.

You throw in some private schools or savings for the kids college funds and that 125k is all but spent minus some spare change for incidentals.

Spot on analysis!

Enjoy

Nope, we're still pricks. And idiots, particularly those that fly past an airport and blame ATC.

Keep my love and passion for aviation and enjoy life thanks to working with my brain.

This is America, anyone can do that.

Good for you, but that still takes good fortune for it to work out that way and only a small number can really make that work. For this to happen, the airline has to be overstaffed, not be furloughing, and be willing to dish out leaves. Plus running a small business whether real estate, broker, franchise, or other is no guarantee. $70K a month is $840K a year. You could afford to own multiple GA airplanes so I'm not sure why you'd even bother.

Latest resources

Back