• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots are dumb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Couldn't be happier for you and your future success...and my future devoid of having to fly with you and listen to all that whining.

Law should be passed that min first year pay for an atp pilot in 121ops is 50k per year plus col adjustment..

That would force the majors to do their own flying and get these damn rj's or the majority of them off the market..

I made 125k this year as a 320 FO and I am barely getting by.. I dont even know how survival for a family on 25k or even 45k for that matter is possible.

If you want to dispute that with me just go argue with yourself in the mirror and realize how stupid you look.

You make 125k a year and can't get by? What the h**l is your problem? Try spending less. I make about 80k per year, and I'm very comfortable. I agree that 50k per year is a good minimum for FO pay, but you don't have to buy everything under the sun, and have every toy the God put on the earth. What a do***e.

And, like it or not, rj's are a vital part of the industry to supplement the mainlines, and maintain market presence in the smaller and mid-sized markets, dou***.

I would recommend the insurance industry. They're about to be handed a very large Christmas present in the form of your tax dollars.

Law should be passed that min first year pay for an atp pilot in 121ops is 50k per year plus col adjustment..

That would force the majors to do their own flying and get these damn rj's or the majority of them off the market..

I made 125k this year as a 320 FO and I am barely getting by.. I dont even know how survival for a family on 25k or even 45k for that matter is possible.

If you want to dispute that with me just go argue with yourself in the mirror and realize how stupid you look.

I certainly don't want to attack you, but there's gotta be more to your story.

Thirty years ago I started flying for the love of aviation. Not for the pay and benefits.

I am blessed to have a job I enjoy. If you do not enjoy your work, you will be miserable in your job.

Well, what are you doing just staying on the same airplane (737) at the same company (Southwest). Expand your love for aviation and try new airplanes at 20K a year and working at the bottom of the bottom feeder contracts and then come back and let us know if you still enjoy your work. In other words, your enjoyment of the job does indeed tie into pay and benefits.

28 years ago I started flying because of the "margaritas and senoritas" now I'm starting to think that somebody done lie to me

"In other words, your enjoyment of the job does indeed tie into pay and benefits."

It gets to be more of an issue as someone gets older. Starting out as a 20 or 30 year old in a new field at entry level wages is something that is easier to do at that age.

Trying to make a change in mid life with a family and less energy is a different story, and even things like 40% pay cuts, downgrades, and lost pensions weigh heavily on professionals with large obligations and limited time. Thus, it can spoil a lot of "the fun" of flying for a living for some of us.

No one likes to get screwed, at either end of the professional spectrum.

Last edited:
Time to ponder the "What makes a pilot/person happy? Question.

Rule#1- never feel trapped. You have choices. And hard work is not something to avoid- it's something to seek-

congratulations on the career change- hopefully you're leaving bc you know you're free and not bc you're bitter

125k isn't really much if you're raising a family especially someplace expensive like on the east coast. First of all, you've got to max our your 401k and your IRA because your pension was robbed from you. That knocks the 125k down to 105k. Toss in health insurance union dues and we're down to 100k before taxes.

Now taxes will probably eat up at least 20k of your 100k so now you're down to 80k. So we went from 125k to 80k without even spending a dime. A mortgage on the east coast could easily cost you 30k a year, now we're down to 50k. Two car payments+insurance now we're down to 40k. Food for a family of four, 12k a year now we're at 28k. Heating/cooling/water etc bills 5k, we're down to 23k.

You throw in some private schools or savings for the kids college funds and that 125k is all but spent minus some spare change for incidentals.

the thing that sucks for our careers is that whenever you change companies you have to start at the bottom regardless of your experience. who else does that. so you bassically spend the first 10 years making the least amount of money. and if your company goes under or you get furloughed then regardless of age or experience you are at the bottom again. that is frusterateing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back