• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot shortage?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So these foreigners would need extensive background and PRIA type checks to work for a US based airline, but does anyone have any idea what background checks are required for a pilot working for a foreign airline that flies into the US and all over the US airspace? A huge double standard! I think it's a huge security threat to this country to let all these foreign airliners staffed by pilots who they know absolutely nothing about.

Wow, that's a hugely xenofobic post!!

But to give you an insight, the US government has long required all foreign airlines flying into and over their territory to submit a master crewlist. Even for crews not actually flying equipment that flies over or into their territory! What the US does with that list I don't know but since THEY require that I assume something! I seriously doubt that my country requires a master crewlist of each US airline that flies over the Netherlands! Speaking of a double standard?

Being a pilot at KLM I am subject to a security background every 5 years!!!

Finally, just being transitioned to an aircraft that flies to the US(747), I had to complete an quite extensive online crewvisa application, took me several hours(went back to elementary school and upwards each and every school and job!!!), and then a visit to the US consulate, had to hand in my passport for several days!!

The US has either bilateral agreements or open skies agreements with each country allowed to fly to the US or vice versa. The applicable countries(read US) will determine the safety risks involved and take appropriate action(read: not allowed into the US)!!

The Dutch background check is quit extensive, if that is not good enough for the US it is in their ballpark I submit!!! Maybe some time for reciprocatry?

Last edited:

But to give you an insight, the US government has long required all foreign airlines flying into and over their territory to submit a master crewlist. Even for crews not actually flying equipment that flies over or into their territory! What the US does with that list I don't know but since THEY require that I assume something! I seriously doubt that my country requires a master crewlist of each US airline that flies over the Netherlands! Speaking of a double standard?

Finally, just being transitioned to an aircraft that flies to the US(747), I had to complete an quite extensive online crewvisa application, took me several hours(went back to elementary school and upwards each and every school and job!!!), and then a visit to the US consulate, had to hand in my passport for several days!!

The US has either bilateral agreements or open skies agreements with each country allowed to fly to the US or vice versa. The applicable countries(read US) will determine the safety risks involved and take appropriate action(read: not allowed into the US)!!

The Dutch background check is quit extensive, if that is not good enough for the US it is in their ballpark I submit!!! Maybe some time for reciprocatry?

I don't believe it was the European countries he was referring too.

China and India already have abinitio programs with American expat pilots doing the training. There are many American direct hire captains flying contract work in these places training young pilots that have gone through airline sponsored training programs and are now in the right seat of A320's or 737's with 300 hrs. We are training our own replacement pilots. You have to love the irony. Oh ya, if you think that these pilots won't be able to get clearance to fly in the US you are sadly mistaken. We give terrorists visa's every day. Open sky agreements are on the way.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Open skies and cabotage will signal the end for US pilots. We will be as common as US ship captains in US ports, or around the world for that matter.

I just hope I can squeak another 15 years out of this career. I'm doubtful.

CHINA has tough background checks???

Seems like there was a story not too far back finding a huge percentage of Chinese pilots had falsified licenses, logbooks, and/or medicals.

I was thinking the same thing. India also has the same issues going on over there.

I don't know what xenofobic means but if you mean xenophobic, I must totally disagree with you as I don't have an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. What I do have a RATIONAL fear of are the likes of pilots such as many at some Indian or Chinese airlines who have totally fabricated their backgrounds, flying airliners in and over my country after seeing what can happen when control of said airliners is put in the control of people who wish us harm. It is not the harmless Dutch that are the target of terrorists all over the world, it is ME and my fellow Americans. And we ought to d*mn well know the people who are flying 800,000 pound, or 363,000 Kilos for you Dutch people (oh sorry, was that a xenophobic statement?) airliners over our cities. We have learned that the hard way!

My heart goes out to you. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it is quitE extensive as it should be, so is ours! And once again, it is not the little harmless Netherlands that are the target of terrorists, it is the good ole USA! We have a very good reason for requiring the crew visa application you filled out. If your country decided to engage in some reciprocatry, or reciprocity as it were, it would be purely out of spite, a tit for tat sort of thing, not because your country felt it was necessary. Remember, many of the terrorists who attacked us came here through European countries. The terrorists that engage in attacks on other countries don't come through the USA. Something to think about!

Last edited:
case in point...

http://www.kosmix.com/topic/fake_pilot_license_india

http://www.google.com/search?client...a+pilots+faking+backgrounds&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.naharnet.com/domino/tn/NewsDesk.nsf/getstory?openform&9AB3716E8BB25F77C22572F40035993D

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/42388/

And the list goes on and on and on!

All it takes is one to knock down another one of our buildings, and the threat is no longer with US based airlines it is with the foreign airlines that come streaming into our country everyday being flown by the likes of the people described in the above links. Who here doesn't think al qaeda is patient enough to put terrorists through actual pilot training and ultimately employed by the likes of an Emirates, or Etihad and then one day get them paired together on a trip and we have a 9-11 all over again. And if anyone thinks I'm being paranoid, well ask the folks who alerted the FBI about the exact scenario that occurred on 9-11 and listen to them tell you how their concerns were summarily dismissed and considered paranoid.

. And if anyone thinks I'm being paranoid, well ask the folks who alerted the FBI about the exact scenario that occurred on 9-11 and listen to them tell you how their concerns were summarily dismissed and considered paranoid.
We were one if them. No crime was committed was the answer we received from the local FBI field office.

Chinese economic policy may work some wonders, but makes mistakes in other areas:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2011/03/worlds-biggest-property-bubble-chinas.html

The big thing to remember about China is that despite some halting nods toward free-market operations, the reality is that they are still (at present) more or less a command economy.

While command economies can do marvelous things, they tend to be rigid in their views. Since infrastructure and economic development are centrally planned, rather than grown organically through actual market need, you are not going to get the same results as in a more-free economy like in the US.

The Chinese government has a way of trying to force things into existence. This seldom works as well as people think.

The Chinese MAY eventually dominate the global economy, but it will not happen overnight.

Maybe if we would butt the F out of other peoples business we would not have these problems.

I don't know what xenofobic means but if you mean xenophobic, I must totally disagree with you as I don't have an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. What I do have a RATIONAL fear of are the likes of pilots such as many at some Indian or Chinese airlines who have totally fabricated their backgrounds, flying airliners in and over my country after seeing what can happen when control of said airliners is put in the control of people who wish us harm. It is not the harmless Dutch that are the target of terrorists all over the world, it is ME and my fellow Americans. And we ought to d*mn well know the people who are flying 800,000 pound, or 363,000 Kilos for you Dutch people (oh sorry, was that a xenophobic statement?) airliners over our cities. We have learned that the hard way!

My heart goes out to you. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it is quitE extensive as it should be, so is ours! And once again, it is not the little harmless Netherlands that are the target of terrorists, it is the good ole USA! We have a very good reason for requiring the crew visa application you filled out. If your country decided to engage in some reciprocatry, or reciprocity as it were, it would be purely out of spite, a tit for tat sort of thing, not because your country felt it was necessary. Remember, many of the terrorists who attacked us came here through European countries. The terrorists that engage in attacks on other countries don't come through the USA. Something to think about!

Don't forget we have regional pilots because the mainline guys did not want those little T-prop pilots on their seniority list. If far thinking pilots at the majors had said sure come board, sure you will start a dirt wages, but in 5 years you be making good money as a 73 F/O we would not have this problem. Look at Comair, they raised their costs to the mainline in order to pay the pilots, so flying get set someplace else to keep the wages at the mainline. This is not so much a management problem as it is a senior pilots protecting themselves at the expense of the junior pilot.

This is why airlines are requiring a 4 yr. degree. I can't figure out what you were trying to say.

Latest resources

Back