Pilot shortage?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hopalong,

Did you actually read what I wrote? I am thinking no! Did you click on the link and read what the Boeing analysis said?

Here it is again:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cmo/pilot_technician_forecast.html

AA does have pilots on furlough, just an example, but how many of those will return, how many of those are working at other carriers? My little company has quite a few, are they going to go back?

Somewhere on here are the retirement numbers for several US air carriers, I believe AA is looking at something like 600+ in one year alone.

Yes, with the global expansion of air travel, coupled with what I have already mentioned, I believe there will be a severe shortage of qualified aviators.

Oh, I almost forgot, the new requirement of having an ATP to fly for a 121 air carrier!

Last edited:
Hopalong,

Did you actually read what I wrote? I am thinking no!

AA does have pilots on furlough, just an example, but how many of those will return, how many of those are working at other carriers? My little company has quite a few, are they going to go back?

Somewhere on here are the retirement numbers for several US air carriers, I believe AA is looking at something like 600+ in one year alone.

Yes, with the global expansion of air travel, coupled with what I have already mentioned, I believe there will be a severe shortage of qualified aviators.

Oh, I almost forgot, the new requirement of having an ATP to fly for a 121 air carrier!

Settle down now... Trust me when I say that I agree that there will be an expansion. I just wanted you to prove it to the "NAY SAYERS" that continue to believe that the sky is falling. There is nothing wrong with optimism; however lack of proof without true figures and solid numbers may be mistaken for false hope. We, as pilots like statistics and accurate figures from our "OWN." (ex. airlinepilotcental.com) I like you dizel8; now do me the honor and calculate the figures?)

What I would love to see is the following:
A. All Legacy airlines and how many they are furlouging or hiring.
B. All Major airlines and how many they are furlouging or hiring
C. All Regionals,etc...
D. All Fractionals, etc....
E. All Cargo, etc...
And so on and so on... This will give us all a bigger picture and thus far, I have concluded that; yes there will be a shortage. We are in need of a mathematician.....

You go right ahead Hopalong, I got other stuff to worry about, like kids running around.

Think about this: A pilot get furloughed from AA, goes to work for NetJets, gets furloughed from there and is now employed at jetblue! He would show up as being furloughed from two carriers, adding to the overall numbers, but is actually employed at a third carrier.

How does one figure out those numbers, I suppose you could call him!

Supposedly all furloughs have been recalled to AAA, but as posted here, 1 in 8 took a recall, hence they are hiring of the street.

Clearly you got the time and the inclination to crunch these numbers, I reallly don't

Knock yourself out, let us know what you come up with?

Last edited:
You go right ahead Hopalong, I got other stuff to worry about, like kids running around.

Clearly you got the time and the inclination to do this, I reallly don't

Knock yourself out, let us know what you come up with?

Alrighty then... Let me start w/ Legacy

Alaska: RECALLING THE 43 FURLOUGH
American:1890: Furlough, however to annouce 250 for recall in Oct.
Continental: 4749 pilots and 16 furloughs
Delta: 12,300 pilots and still hiring
Hawaiian:445 total
United:7,733 pilots, yet 1437 furloughed
US Airways: 5,137 pilots ( all furlouhees recalled)

Last edited:
Alrighty then... Let me start w/ Legacy

Alaska: RECALLING THE 43 FURLOUGH
American:1890: Furlough, however to annouce 250 for recall in Oct.
Continental: 4749 pilots and 16 furloughs
Delta: 12,300 pilots and still hiring
Hawaiian:445 total
United:7,733 pilots, yet 1437 furloughed
US Airways: 5,137 pilots ( all furlouhees recalled)

Okay, now you just need to look at the retirement numbers, in addition, you need to figure out how many of the furloughs are returning, they may be working for other carriers and wil not take a recall.

SWA supposedly is hiring, as is Virgin, jetblue, AAA...and that is just of the top of my head, oh, don't forget all the foreign carriers hiring, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad.....

Last edited:
Okay, now you just need to look at the retirement numbers, in addition, you need to figure out how many of the furloughs are returning, they may be working for other carriers and wil not take a recall.

SWA supposedly is hiring, as is Virgin, jetblue, AAA..........
Work with me Diezel and lets help break down these numbers to sensibiliy....

stop the hype- AA will take a while to recall as not all of them went to jetblue and virgin. Rumor is the new united will hire by the end of the year but come on we are in an economic slow down, even delta has rumors that they hired too many and will not hire the rest of the year. Our only hope is the regionals do not get more (and bigger) planes. I mean what the heck! transstates has orders for that japanese regional jet (how many seats? 100?)

Latest resources

Back