• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no pilot shortage. I honestly have no idea how this discussion keeps coming up.

There is no shortage. Never has been. Probably never will be. Orville and Wilbur had to compete over who got to fly and it's only gotten worse from there. The supply of pilots will be proportional to the pay and quality of life of the job.

We are our own worst enemies. There will never be a shortage. Trust me, when the airlines start hiring again, they will be flooded with resumes. Unfortunately, there are still too many pilots out there who are either willing to work for free or for very little just to get that valuable fligh time. There is no reason pilots should have to work second jobs on their days off.
Until others stop being w************************* and have a better esteem for this profession, we will never be respected and always be looked down upon.

Did you just read what you wrote?

Yes, did you?

BoilerUP said:
A shortage of pilots willing to work for regional airline compensation does NOT correlate to a shortage of pilots able to work.

Read it again.

BoilerUP said:
A shortage of pilots willing to work for regional airline compensation does NOT correlate to a shortage of pilots able to work.

And finally, a third time so it sinks in.

BoilerUP said:

Now, please explain to the class how a shortage of pilots at the regional airline level represents a shortage throughout the industry. If you look real hard, you'll realize you've already addressed this:

Regionals don't hire people from major airlines, or from corporate flight departments, etc.
Ever wonder why that was? Probably has a lot to do with compensation and career progression.

Regionals hire their pilots from flight schools, and small 135 operators, etc.
Again, a relationship with compensation and career progression.

Think about it: what regional airlines were hiring a substantive number of sub-500hr pilots during the peak of the 2007 "shortage", and where would those airlines rank among other regionals in terms of compensation, quality of life, and career progression?

If you choose to believe the bill of goods Kit Darby has been selling for over two decades now about the "great pilot shortage" that's well and good...but I personally wouldn't base my career aspirations and expectations on that.

There isn't RIGHT NOW. There will be at the regional level when the age 65 rule kicks in, and the economy turns around.

No, there won't be a shortage then either. There will be pilot position openings. You think there will be a shortage of qualified pilots then? How many pilots at that time will have spent years flight instructing, flying charter, flying cancelled bank checks, or are furloughed from another company? Just curious.

Yes, did you?

Read it again.

And finally, a third time so it sinks in.

Now, please explain to the class how a shortage of pilots at the regional airline level represents a shortage throughout the industry. If you look real hard, you'll realize you've already addressed this:

Ever wonder why that was? Probably has a lot to do with compensation and career progression.

Again, a relationship with compensation and career progression.

Think about it: what regional airlines were hiring a substantive number of sub-500hr pilots during the peak of the 2007 "shortage", and where would those airlines rank among other regionals in terms of compensation, quality of life, and career progression?

If you choose to believe the bill of goods Kit Darby has been selling for over two decades now about the "great pilot shortage" that's well and good...but I personally wouldn't base my career aspirations and expectations on that.

You're an idiot.

Because people are confusing a pilot shortage with hiring demand.

Again, you can call it what you want. Pilot shortage and hiring demand are the same thing. If there aren't crews in the seats to fly the airplanes, then the flights will cancel, and that is going to put some of the regionals in a world of hurt.

I'm not buying Kit Darby's goods. I'm building on my experience with the industry, and what I've seen at flight schools in the past year. FlightSafety has 25 domestic students. Flight schools all over FL are out of business. We are going to have a hard time filling classes after we go through all of the furloughed people.

All of you guys saying there is going to be no shortage are just arguing semantics, and spouting BS. You can wish for "major" pay scales at the regionals. Hell, I wish for that too, but it isn't going to happen. The regionals just won't work financially with that sort of labor cost. Get over it, and if you want more money, go to a major.

Latest resources

Back