Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shortage?

Unions restrict supply, thereby causing spot shortages at the places they represent, this allows higher wages temporarily until market forces make that airline non-competitive. BTW many on this site say there never have been and never will be a pilot shortage. However being on the hiring end I can personally attest to the fact there have been wild experience shortages.

Last edited:
Unions restrict supply, thereby causing spot shortages at the places they represent, this allows higher wages temporarily until market forces make that airline non-competitive. BTW many on this site say there never have been and never will be a pilot shortage. However being on the hiring end I can personally attest to the fact there have been wild experience shortages.

When your airline personally experienced those "wild experience shortages," what was your compensation structure compared to other airlines? Maybe your airline experienced "wild experience shortages" because the total compensation package offered by your airline was insufficient to attract the large pool of qualified, experienced pilots that were readily available?

During good economic times, I am sure may restaurateurs have a hard time hiring dish washers and bus boys at the wages they are willing to pay them. That doesn't mean there is a shortage of dish washers and bus boys in America. It just means that there is a shortage of people willing to work for low wages. Raise the dishwasher/bus boy wage, and you'll have all the dishwasher/bus boys you could ever need.

When your airline personally experienced those "wild experience shortages," what was your compensation structure compared to other airlines? Maybe your airline experienced "wild experience shortages" because the total compensation package offered by your airline was insufficient to attract the large pool of qualified, experienced pilots that were readily available?

During good economic times, I am sure may restaurateurs have a hard time hiring dish washers and bus boys at the wages they are willing to pay them. That doesn't mean there is a shortage of dish washers and bus boys in America. It just means that there is a shortage of people willing to work for low wages. Raise the dishwasher/bus boy wage, and you'll have all the dishwasher/bus boys you could ever need.

Whatever. A shortage is a shortage, however you slice it. The fact is that it will be difficult to hire people within the next 2 years. This shortage will not affect wages, but it will affect which companies can stay in business operating aircraft.

Whatever. A shortage is a shortage, however you slice it.
No, it is not.

A shortage of pilots willing to work for regional airline compensation does NOT correlate to a shortage of pilots able to work.

Think about it...in the last "shortage" (2006-2007) there wasn't any shortage of pilots applying to work at DAL, NWA, UAL, CAL, SWA, FDX, UPS, Netjets, etc...

Whatever. A shortage is a shortage, however you slice it. The fact is that it will be difficult to hire people within the next 2 years. This shortage will not affect wages, but it will affect which companies can stay in business operating aircraft.

Using that logic, I'm going to put an ad for guys to come out and do my yard work. I'm going to pay them $1/hour. When no one answers my ad, I'm going to post an editorial in the local paper and proclaim that there is a serious shortage of lawn care workers in my town!

There is no shortage. Never has been. Probably never will be. Orville and Wilbur had to compete over who got to fly and it's only gotten worse from there. The supply of pilots will be proportional to the pay and quality of life of the job.

No, it is not.

A shortage of pilots willing to work for regional airline compensation does NOT correlate to a shortage of pilots able to work.

Think about it...in the last "shortage" (2006-2007) there wasn't any shortage of pilots applying to work at DAL, NWA, UAL, CAL, SWA, FDX, UPS, Netjets, etc...

Did you just read what you wrote? The shortage will be at the regionals because that is where people go to get qualified to apply to "DAL, NWA, UAL, CAL, SWA, FDX, UPS, Netjets, etc..." I know that sucks, but everyone has got to start somewhere. I'll be the first to say that the regionals are a good place to make a career, but the fact remains that most people at the majors got there by working first at a regional.

Everyone knows that the shortage will not be at the majors because there is a huge group of pilots at all of the regionals all just counting the days until the majors hire again. That fact alone is going to account for most of the shortage at the regionals without factoring in retirements. They will be leaving in droves again, just like in 2007.

There just aren't enough people in flight school anymore. The cause is irrelevant, but there will be a shortage of qualified people coming from the pipeline in a year + or two, maybe three. All of you spouting that BS about there not being a pilot shortage are missing the point. Regionals don't hire people from major airlines, or from corporate flight departments, etc. Majors hire pilots from the regionals. Regionals hire their pilots from flight schools, and small 135 operators, etc. Talk to almost any flight school. Enrollments are down. Interest in the industry is down. Argue all you want about the reason why, but the fact remains that a shortage is on the way.

And those of you thinking a shortage is going to drive the pay up to $50,000 a year for the first year are smoking crack. At the very best, the pay may go up by a few dollars at the top-tier regionals, but in these days of cost cutting and striving to stay alive, compensation will have more downward force than upward force in the next 3-4 years. I wish we weren't negotiating next year. It is a horrible time to negotiate.

Using that logic, I'm going to put an ad for guys to come out and do my yard work. I'm going to pay them $1/hour. When no one answers my ad, I'm going to post an editorial in the local paper and proclaim that there is a serious shortage of lawn care workers in my town!

By our logic, there is no shortage of people willing to do any job! If you pay someone $1,000,000 a year to lick toilet bowls, there won't be a shortage for that job either.

No, all anyone is saying is that in the current environment, with current work rules and current pay, there will be a shortage of pilots in the regional industry. The work rules and pay are not going to change enough to drive a change in the supply because those in the supply chain (graduating seniors in HS and college students, etc.) are not getting into the industry not because of crappy pay, but because of the well publicized downturn in the industry, such as furloughs. The shortage is felt at the entry-level jobs (regionals).

Face it folks, the regionals are entry-level jobs. That doesn't mean that you can't make a nice career there, on the contrary, all of the movement to the majors means you can gain QOL and seniority really quickly, and make a nice comfortable life for yourself. But when you want to go work for Delta, you start at a regional, or come from the military. Nobody instructs in 172s and goes to FedEx.

Latest resources

Back