Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip,

You did not reply to my post #34 in this thread. Or is your only response that pilot's should never expect a raise or I should go into mgmt.

Thought I did?

Yip,

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Almost EVERYTHING in our lives goes up. That is a fact of life. It is not screwing the consumer, it is just the cost of doing business. ..... last 10 years was a once in a lifetime reset of our compensation structure and it is time to rebuild.
Thought I did, prices go up, and not everyone's wages go up, talk to the auto workers who wages have gone down, unless you are a gov't employee. So what is your solution, raise fares? Everything has an unintended consequence. Now I do not know your seniority or airline or anything about you. But if flying is reduced because people elect to use alternate means of transportation, and it only takes a small percentage to impact airline empty seats on Tuesday and Saturday. Now less flights, means less pilots, means loosing your Captain's seat. As I posted before in this thread only time will tell how the new hires mins will affect the regional business model. BTW I don't think I have comprehension problem, but I know I cannot speel, 4th grade teacher told me so.

it is interesting to read a lot of the comments below the article and see what the general public has to say on these issues.

I wouldn't consider bringing facts, figures, and scenarios into the discussion as beating a dead horse. More like good debate. The silly part would be not bringing any argument at all to a particular side other than saying the sky will be falling soon, then refusing to engage in the conversation and bowing out. Sound familiar?

I gave up on trying to make reasoned arguments to idiots a long time ago.

Reality check

I gave up on trying to make reasoned arguments to idiots a long time ago.
That is the sin of using reality in arguments on Flightinfo, many don't like the answers. However they have no reasoned rebutal, other than attacking the poster who brought up the reality. The old message if you like the message kill the messenger.

No your message never changes. Pilots should never expect pay increases. We should be content to paid in late 80s pay rates while everything else has gone up. Sometimes I think you are paid by the ATA to come on here and lower the expectations of the younger, more impressionable pilots on here.

That is the sin of using reality in arguments on Flightinfo, many don't like the answers. However they have no reasoned rebutal, other than attacking the poster who brought up the reality. The old message if you like the message kill the messenger.

Economic Reality

No your message never changes. Pilots should never expect pay increases. We should be content to paid in late 80s pay rates while everything else has gone up. Sometimes I think you are paid by the ATA to come on here and lower the expectations of the younger, more impressionable pilots on here.
Where have I said you should accept lower your wages? I wish you were paid like a 20yr FedEx Captain. But the market and individual self-interest will dictate what wages should be. You complain, but offer no solutions. What are your options? Go on strike, shut the place down show them who is boss, there is a down side to that. Mug new pilot in the parking lot who accept entry level wages? there is a down side to that also. It is basic economics, if you raise the price of commodity, less people will purchase that commodity. With less people purchasing there is not as much demand for that commodity, therefore there will be fewer, but better paid pilots. That is what we had under Regulation. Pressure on entry-level employers will increase with the new hiring minimums, as it becomes no longer possible to redefine competitive hiring minimums any lower. It is small start, but all changes start as small steps. BTW “Who wants to be first to sacrifice his job for the benefit of someone else?”

Last edited:

I don't believe I ever attacked the messenger, YIP, and neither did others who have presented opposing views. The problem with freight managers on FI is they are long past the point of being useful.

BTW YIP, what was the reality when you fired all of your DA-20 pilots a little while back while allowing junior DC-9 pilots to keep their jobs?

Last edited:
me?

BTW YIP, what was the reality when you fired all of your DA-20 pilots a little while back while allowing junior DC-9 pilots to keep their jobs?
I was not even thinking of you when I made that post. BTW That is quite a statement since I was one of DA-20 pilots fired. Only to find out that 2 months it was decided that not flying the DA-20's was not such a good idea, something that I had said all along. But that is reality in this business you have to get used to it.

Yep, that's the reality. Kind of a stark contrast to this pilot shortage bullcrap you push every now and then, isn't it?

Latest resources

Back