• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Caught With Loaded Handgun at Calgary Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1800 guns confiscated by TSA last year at checkpoints.

This guy gets charged trying to bring one out of Canada? Sounds like the Mounted POlice who are not mounted need to explain why he made it into Canada with a gun.

TSA in SLC failed? thats how he made it into canada. The guy is completely stupid. How do you not know you have your gun with you? honestly if you are that dumb you should not be in possession of a firearm!!!

1800 guns confiscated by TSA last year at checkpoints.

This guy gets charged trying to bring one out of Canada? Sounds like the Mounted POlice who are not mounted need to explain why he made it into Canada with a gun.

How often do crew members get searched going through passport control/customs in Canada? I have never seen it happen. I have never seen it happen to a crew member upon arriving in the United States either. I have never been searched by customs in Europe, and I have been making six to eight trips per year for the past five years as a regular/non-rev passenger. So I cannot imaging crew members getting searched in Europe. Perhaps Canada and Europe (remember the FA in Italy not too long ago) will now start doing customs inspections on arriving U.S. crew members.

I don't think it was customs inspection. It was security screening, which we do in CA.

TSA in SLC failed? thats how he made it into canada. The guy is completely stupid. How do you not know you have your gun with you? honestly if you are that dumb you should not be in possession of a firearm!!!
You take me wrong, I was slamming the feds of both countries, out and into Canada. I also think the dude needs his peepee wacked for not knowing where his weapon is.

Lose his job wacked? Maybe time off...

I don't think it was customs inspection. It was security screening, which we do in CA.

I was responding to this statement:

Sounds like the Mounted POlice who are not mounted need to explain why he made it into Canada with a gun.

This implies the RCMP did not do their job by preventing him from entering Canada with a gun in the first place, hence my statement about arrival screening by customs. Obviously he was caught by screening as he was exiting Canada.

The fact is we're all human and all make mistakes. Our mistakes are different, but accidental none the less, and we're all throwing him under the bus. How would we want to be treated if we forgot to carry our cert and medical, or made some other honest mistake? This guy made a mistake, stupid as it was, and the Canadian government is treating him like a criminal. Probably because of their stance on handguns and the fact that they don't like us using KCM prior to arrival to CA. They also don't like the FFDO and FAM programs, which is why they don't Cooperate with the FFDO program.

Last edited:
The fact is we're all human and all make mistakes. Our mistakes are different, but accidental none the less, and we're all throwing him under the bus. How would we want to be treated if we forgot to carry our cert and medical, or made some other honest mistake? This guy made a mistake, stupid as it was, and the Canadian government is treating him like a criminal. Probably because of their stance on handguns and the fact that they don't like us using KCM prior to arrival to CA. They also don't like the FFDO and FAM programs, which is why they don't Cooperate with the FFDO program.

Sorry,
This guy made a conscious choice, that provides the intent, and that is what makes this a Canadian criminal issue. This was not a "honest mistake" it's a huge judgement issue, he didn't forget a piece of paper or plastic, he smuggled a loaded weapon into a foreign country, and then attempted to smuggle it back into the USA in violation of many existing US laws. He was CRJ pilot, if he had the gun in his flight kit, it was an unauthorized weapon in the flight deck, and if it was in his roll aboard, there was a loaded, unsecured weapon in the cabin.
Again my bags consist of maybe 3 cubic feet of space and in the course of the first day, I move or get into every space in my stuff, so I am not buying the scorned lover theory, no matter how small the gun might be.
Foreign countries are very strict about weapons importation into their countries by officers of foreign governments so FAM and FFDO programs are negotiated by State Departments with very specific protocols. Civilian importation is just as scrutinized, it's just the Stupid sovereign nation thing, pretty sure as a US citizen, I don't want a Somali dude walking around Chinatown with his AK47 while he is on vacation, or in town for a piracy convention.
While you may think this job is about flying airplanes, you would be only partially right, the single largest component from a companies perspective is trust and judgement, this guy exhibited lass than none. There are 2 things that will get you fired at SKYW instantly, lying and stealing and both are trust and judgement issues. So even if he comes polygraph clean to satisfy the truth issue, the judgement issue will get him.
So unless the gun was hidden behind the lining of his bag with someone else's fingerprints all over it, he is done, fried, finished, rightfully so.

Last edited:
Are we certain he even used KCM? Some airports drive crews right to the terminal (past security) from the parking lot.

Latest resources

Back