• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me see if I understand what you and the other haters are talking about:

1. You have a commuter airline that flies antiquated equipment
2. There are no firm plans to put another fleet type on that certificate
3. There is about a 5 year life cycle on the current aircraft

Their MEC comes along and:

1. Maintains their quality of life and benefits for another contract
2. Gets seniority based flow to American for ALL pilots on the property to insure that nobody loses their job in the case that the airline does not receive any new aircraft.

Somebody in the industry has a problem with this???????

Can we at Endeavor Borrow your MEC?

I agree...... I hope our MEC did hold the line in terms of Envoy. Only problem with us is that we have ZERO leverage. PSA had Leverage, Envoy has Leverage.... Parker doesn't want Piedmont to have 175's. We don't have the facilities that Envoy has. We don't have the resources period. It will cost them more money to shut Envoy down then it would us. An airline that has 38 Turbo Props that are over 20 years old has Zero leverage. Our planes are history over the next 5 years. I see a bigger plan coming to play. I see us slowly going away after each plane times out or maybe a merger with Envoy.

Either way we've been screwed hard in the past by the whipsaws and this secure jobs for everyone on the Piedmont property.

Surf,
Stop defending yourself. I have no dog in this but I have to tell you given your circumstances you should be taking the MEC boys out to dinner. They made lemonade out of the lemons. He happy and stop defending yourself. Anyone who doesn't get this hasn't been around for long enough to see how the airline industry really works.

Surf,
Stop defending yourself. I have no dog in this but I have to tell you given your circumstances you should be taking the MEC boys out to dinner. They made lemonade out of the lemons. He happy and stop defending yourself. Anyone who doesn't get this hasn't been around for long enough to see how the airline industry really works.

I agree....

When I came to PDT in 2002, we had over 60 frames and that was before the merger with Allegheny. I heard many times over the years that PDT was actively looking for more Dash's but none ever came on line. 8 Dash-8-200's left along with 1 300, tail 342. Two more 100's gone this year, I think 911,912.
The timed out frames are being scavenged for parts and how long before one of the maintenance bases is closed, ROA,MDT,or SBY?
I know HHH,which is a good profitable station cannot be serviced with anything other than a Dash-8, and I don't know what other airports are in the same situation.
Some really nice people at PDT and it will be sad to see them without a job in the coming years.

When I came to PDT in 2002, we had over 60 frames and that was before the merger with Allegheny. I heard many times over the years that PDT was actively looking for more Dash's but none ever came on line. 8 Dash-8-200's left along with 1 300, tail 342. Two more 100's gone this year, I think 911,912.
The timed out frames are being scavenged for parts and how long before one of the maintenance bases is closed, ROA,MDT,or SBY?
I know HHH,which is a good profitable station cannot be serviced with anything other than a Dash-8, and I don't know what other airports are in the same situation.
Some really nice people at PDT and it will be sad to see them without a job in the coming years.

This new agreement secures jobs for pilots. As for PDT ground handling I don't see much changing.

Taking concessions in any area of a contract for a flow or preferential interview is disgusting. It's pathetic that regional pilots feel like they have to negotiate for their jobs instead of earn them like everyone else. Negotiating for a job at another company devalues our profession.

Taking concessions in any area of a contract for a flow or preferential interview is disgusting. It's pathetic that regional pilots feel like they have to negotiate for their jobs instead of earn them like everyone else. Negotiating for a job at another company devalues our profession.

I don't think your analysis fits with the situation here at Piedmont. These good folks here work very hard with old equipment, and have "held the line" for a number of years now. A compromise in order to secure the future of the Piedmont pilot group isn't as disgusting as the deal that was brokered at Pinnacle. We were coerced, lied to and then further screwed over by the Delta MEC that offered zero lifelines to our pilot group. Instead, they negotiated a contract that would bring the 717s to Delta at the cost of other ALPA pilot group's jobs.
Your beef should be with ALPA national and not with Piedmont's MEC. ALPA structured this "union" into individual collective bargaining units that met the very specific needs of each pilot group. Sorry, that you don't like the rules anymore than I do, but until ALPA national decides to stop "buttering the bread" of their big league players that pay the most dues, nothing is going to change. Good for Piedmont if they are able to negotiate a contract amendment that secures jobs, gives a pathway to a better job and as a by-product attracts the best&brightest applicants to fly for them.

I don't think your analysis fits with the situation here at Piedmont. These good folks here work very hard with old equipment, and have "held the line" for a number of years now. A compromise in order to secure the future of the Piedmont pilot group isn't as disgusting as the deal that was brokered at Pinnacle. We were coerced, lied to and then further screwed over by the Delta MEC that offered zero lifelines to our pilot group. Instead, they negotiated a contract that would bring the 717s to Delta at the cost of other ALPA pilot group's jobs.
Your beef should be with ALPA national and not with Piedmont's MEC. ALPA structured this "union" into individual collective bargaining units that met the very specific needs of each pilot group. Sorry, that you don't like the rules anymore than I do, but until ALPA national decides to stop "buttering the bread" of their big league players that pay the most dues, nothing is going to change. Good for Piedmont if they are able to negotiate a contract amendment that secures jobs, gives a pathway to a better job and as a by-product attracts the best&brightest applicants to fly for them.

These companies are using these flows to attract pilots instead of using compensation. It is disgusting. I stand by my statement. I don't like it at Endeavor, PSA, or any other airline. It artificially holds down our pay and our worth.

These companies are using these flows to attract pilots instead of using compensation. It is disgusting. I stand by my statement. I don't like it at Endeavor, PSA, or any other airline. It artificially holds down our pay and our worth.

This is the real chicken dinner winner.... served via carrot and stick. Flow... what a mesmerizing term to entice would-be applicants. A pilot job has in essence, become a classic pyramid scheme.

This is the real chicken dinner winner.... served via carrot and stick. Flow... what a mesmerizing term to entice would-be applicants. A pilot job has in essence, become a classic pyramid scheme.

Flow is being used the same way the RJ's were dangled over the pilots heads. Remember those days?? You had Pilot Groups ready to stab each other in the back to get 50 seat RJ's on there properties. And for what?? To live another day? Again I'd put the Blame on ALPA.
Piedmont's is a dying airline with nothing to fall back on. Piedmonts Flow is nothing like Endeavors or PSA's. It's a straight date of hire flow. No interview, no strings.... You just show up for class. I can tell you this if they had offered us 175's with competitive rates versus this flow thru many would have said screw those RJ's we want to go to mainline. Especially with all the retirements happening at American. We've got guys now that after there 1st year for US Airways are holding Captain on the 190's and FO on the 330 out of PHL.
Everyone on the Piedmont Property under the age of 40 has just hit the Airline Career Lotto! No more interviews. Hang out in the Dash 8 another 2 years maybe and gone to the worlds largest Airline. Who wouldn't want that just starting out there career at a Regional Airline?

The main reason for this was because nobody wanted to come her to fly a Dash 8. We didn't lose any pay. Airline keeps going like it is. No concessions but it helps man the airline. I believe attrition at Piedmont has now come to a halt. And not we shouldn't have as hard time finding people as we have.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back