• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perspectives on an AirTran and SWA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW Who pi$$ed in your coffee today. All I said was everyone wants what is best for them, you cant blame people for that. I think you guys should get what you would ask for and I think we should also, in the real world IF this merger would ever happen we would all get something in the middle. You want to be an a$$ go ahead, have a GREAT Day!

Probably the same azzwipe that wrote this:

Bou oh boy PFT again. how much do you make old man? I make more then you will ever make at Valuejet and I have been here 3 years put your diapers back on and go play in someone elses sandbox.

I honestly think this is hillarious. If it were up to me, I would allow SWA into ATL via Airtran JUST TO SEE AIRTRAN PILOTS INTERMINGLE ON THE SWA PILOT SENIORITY LIST. That would make SWA pilots BOIL. They would go crazy. They think everyone who would love to be a part of that airline SHOULD BE STAPLED. Gary Kelly made them think that it would be UP TO THEM, thinking he would need SWA pilot input. That is not how it works in the M&A business normally. (unless you have something in your contract, like CAL pilots do) It is NICE to allow input from employees, but normally that doesn't happen. The SWA pilots don't think the Airtran guys are good enough, and all they want are the planes and gates. Thanks to the Bond ammendment (?), no more stapling. You can do it if everyone agrees, but the Airtran pilots won't do that. The Frontier guys almost did, but their airline at the time was in BK and not doing well at all. Airtran is doing ok, and the pilots there would want a fair shake at a SLI. That just CAN'T BE according to SWA pilots IMO. It sure would be fun to watch, especially since my friend Ty Webb would be the new ATL Chief Pilot for SWA if it happened. Only bad thing for Airtran guys---they might have to fly to West Texas, and even, gasp, LBB. Have fun guys! Love ya.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You are really a pretty funny dude General. Wasn't that long ago you were pounding your chest supporting Lee Moak and DALPA with the "Delta Pilots are not opposed to a meger, but we will be part of the group hug", or whatever that rally cry was a couple years ago. "Keep Delta my Delta" - much ALPA chest thumping, - NWA meger - much ALPA chest thumping. And many posts by you on here to NWA guys how they should be grateful for DALPA's integration proposal, Delta is so much stronger, etc.

It really was pretty funny the part of your post about it would be NICE to consider employee imput. Was that your stance when USAIR was making their run or during NWA talks? "Nice?" Right. You were banging the drum with your boy Moak and you know it.

Fire away. Your selective memory is predictable.

No.

Typical SIC thing only.

Thanks for the reply. I paid for mine because I wanted to work for swa. It is funny how we all defend our turf on these boards. I think we could tear a new azzzzzz into the market if we merged, but hopefully we don't forget to try to keep the no furlough culture.

Plenty of bravado on here from a few AirTran guys. Your brothers on the line are not so crazy about things - like pay, all 4 day trips, trip trading sucks, won't release guys froms DH's, management-pilot relations can't get any worse - "Klaus" is the devil, etc.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think a SLI with SWA would be just an even merge. Most of us on the line at SWA were not in favor of a Frontier staple by the way, but F9s union demands were unrealistic. We would not expect a staple or anything close to that with AirTran either, but seems many Airtan guys are failing to consider the better pay, WAY better work rules, QOL and many other benefits or our SWAPA negotiated contract that YOU would be getting if we did merge. One of your guys posted about your "new" contract coming up within 6 months. That was pretty funny actually. How long have you been negotiating? Last summer after we voted down TA1, I heard you would have a new deal before us. And...

So, I hope things go well there. But I really hope we just go into ATL on our own.

Ben...this place ain't gonna be around in 6 months if we don't get a new contract. Then, your company is welcomed to buy whatever virtual assets AirTran virtually owns. The line swine are sick and tired of being kicked in the balls. This WILL come to a close sooner than later.

If you wanna take on the 200 and 900 lb gorillas in ATL...then go, there's nothing stopping ya. Have fun when DAL puts a 757 5 minutes on each side of all of your departures like they do with us. Tons of money to be made here. That's why we're drawing down our ATL ops and sending more flights to BWI, MCO, and MKE. We make more money going head to head with SWA than mother D.

Ben...this place ain't gonna be around in 6 months if we don't get a new contract. Then, your company is welcomed to buy whatever virtual assets AirTran virtually owns. The line swine are sick and tired of being kicked in the balls. This WILL come to a close sooner than later.

One can only hope.

If you wanna take on the 200 and 900 lb gorillas in ATL...then go, there's nothing stopping ya. Have fun when DAL puts a 757 5 minutes on each side of all of your departures like they do with us. Tons of money to be made here. That's why we're drawing down our ATL ops and sending more flights to BWI, MCO, and MKE. We make more money going head to head with SWA than mother D.

Absolutely. It's one thing to compete against Delta, but another thing entirely to compete against Delta in their fortress hub AND a strong number two who has a lower CASM. Not smart, even if you could get the gates.

Good lord. This thread sure went downhill fast.=

Just imagine what it would be like if a merger was actually announced. Which is exactly why I don't think GK would ever be interested in it. Trying to combine two airlines of this size with such different seniority demographics always turns out poorly and harms the culture. He won't risk it.

Latest resources

Back