Perspectives on an AirTran and SWA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correction............from above post

"Airtran is in the same boat, though obviously, AT THIS TIME, are a much stronger airline." Im referring to SWA being the stronger airline.....sorry

Funnyman- I'd expect that too.
But AT THIS TIME Swa simply brings more to air tran pilots than AT brings to Swa. In fact a huge market for organic growth would now, no longer be available in ATL. Merging w/ AT would provide our customers markets they want- and therefore would make Swa money- but it wouldn't do much for pilots atthe bottom of the Swa list.

Yet I can think of many immediate benefits to AT pilots. So immediate expectations are a factor that must be compensated for. The future will always be an unknown.

But I'll finish every one of these posts with the same mantra- if GK decides to buy AT- I will be onboard and will fight against greed on either ruining ALL our future expectations ala USAir.

I've been at Airtran over 3 years and I'm 30. History shows that I won't know where the better airline to be at is over the course of my career. It is all speculation. Currently SWA and AT are both doing well. In 10 years (i'm still only 40 at that time) who freakin knows. Many captains I fly with were very upset that American didn't hire them in the late 90's. I'm sure if American took over Airtran in 1999 they would have sent every Airtran pilot to the street claiming "career expectations" along with other things. Well these Airtran captains are lucky they didn't go to a legacy at the time. SWA could be the #1 airline in 10 years or be another struggling airline with high costs. Airtran is in the same boat, though obviously, AT THIS TIME, are a much stronger airline. Unless Airtran has high costs, is shrinking, and losing money dont tell me that my career expectations at Airtran would be much lower than SWA in 15 years. If I recall SWA pilots were paid up to 30% less than the legacies prior to 2001. I guess if United bought SWA in 1999 they should have stapled/furloughed SWA pilots due to obvious career expectations. End of rant.....SWA pilots please dont feel the need to pull a power play on us. If a merger happens I would expect Airtran pilots to be treated with respect and understanding.

Let me ask you a question if the shoe was on the other foot and Airtran was the bigger of the two would you still say the same thing, i would guess not. Every single pilot at his or her airline is going to want whats best for them. Im sure we would love a staple at SWA but I can tell you thats not going to happen. Im sure you guys would love the samething but thats not going to happen either. Like I said everybody wants what is best for them, can you really blame a pilot group for trying to take care of their own. I would expect nothing less from the Airtran group also. In the end if this does happen Im sure we will meet somewhere in the middle and life will go on.

Last edited:
Bou oh boy PFT again. how much do you make old man? I make more then you will ever make at Valuejet and I have been here 3 years put your diapers back on and go play in someone elses sandbox.

I know for sure I'm 12,000 dollars richer than you for not paying for my job.....

Let me ask you a question if the shoe was on the other foot and Airtran was the bigger of the two would you still say the same thing, i would guess not. Every single pilot at his or her airline is going to want whats best for them. Im sure we would love a staple at SWA but I can tell you thats not going to happen. Im sure you guys would love the samething but thats not going to happen either. Like I said everybody wants what is best for them, can you really blame a pilot group for trying to take care of their own. I would expect nothing less from the Airtran group also. In the end if this does happen Im sure we will meet somewhere in the middle and life will go on.

Wow, so profound! Not only are you rich beyond your wildest dreams from Southwest but obviously intellectuality rich too. I mean, those hypothetical airline reversals really got me thinking.........

Last edited:
I can brag about the fact the WE MADE MONEYand delta did not.
And yet DAL is still in business. hmmmmmmm. How much has the luv machine lost in the last 2 years? How about them dwinding profits. Your groups arrogance is laughable. Especially since you're the group that began the race to the bottom!

I can brag about the fact that the pilots of SWA said no to domestic scope unlike you and your friends at Delta.
LMAO! Can you also brag about how without buying your job you'd still be sucking the hose off the lav truck? Can you also brag that your pilot group was the catalyst that started the age 65 rule?
How many pilots overstaffed are you? How many downgrades have happened. Your own CEO said, no growth this year!
I hear furloughs are in the future. You got any more spare change with all that dough to buy yourself another job when you get furloughed? Spout more from your nut drainer, mr. 3 year wonder!

by the way your wife said something totaly opposite about my apandage last night.
She thought it was a pubic hair til it peed! Nice move tiny!:laugh::blush:

Funnyman,

Congrats on getting hired at AAI....I suspect you will do fine over the course of your career but you are correct for all of us, we don't know until the music stops and we see where we are standing.

I believe "if" a merger was to occur the concerns you express about "career expectations" are precisely what A&M emphasizes which will have to be taken into account. In fact, our language in our new contract that addresses merger and how the union will handle it states what is the law of the land, we will abide by the intent of A&M and negotiate accordingly.

This will obviously require your folks to make the case properly but I suspect that can be made as you succinctly point out. Thanks for joining in with meaningful commentary and again congrats.

Wow, so profound! Not only are you rich beyond your wildest dreams from Southwest but obviously intellectuality rich too. I mean, those hypothetical airline reversals really got me thinking.........

WOW Who pi$$ed in your coffee today. All I said was everyone wants what is best for them, you cant blame people for that. I think you guys should get what you would ask for and I think we should also, in the real world IF this merger would ever happen we would all get something in the middle. You want to be an a$$ go ahead, have a GREAT Day!

Latest resources

Back