• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PCL_128 vs. JoeMerchant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL128 did his GIA gig when he was young. He probably didn't k ow about FI and thus couldn't be educated by the super pilots that never make any mistakes. PCL has also said that in hindsight he regrets GIA and would have taken a different route. Nonetheless, since none of you super pilots would ever make a mistake you don't have to worry about admiting error...

Also PCL volunteers his time and works with other to make the profession better.

Joey..on the other hand, is older and wiser... and knew what he was doing when he sued ALPA. Basically, he was trying to make ALPA his own personal Scott Boras. It was all about him at all of your expense. Joey was an ALPA rep that didn't show to meetings, restricted meeting minutes and simply failed in his commitment to pilots. Joey's list goes on and on... if jumping in to the dispatchers sh*t is what makes Joey great... then so be it.. Joey the Great he is...

I am older and wiser..... I realize that ALPA has failed miserably..... Some day PCL 128 will also....

Yes I paid for training..... that was the way things worked in the early 90s.... Actually one of the few carriers that didn't PFT was non-union Skywest..... Imagine that.... A non-union carrier that didn't use PFT while most union carriers did..... Why was that?

Initially I refused to PFT.... I only applied to the few carriers that didn't use PFT..... In retrospect, I should have PFT earlier.... I would have more seniority.....

I don't fault PCL for working for Gulfstream.... he did what was best for him..... He then moved on to PCL and Air Tran because he felt that was best for him.....In the end, we all do what is best for number one....and that ain't you....Sometimes those choices aren't best for the profession..... but then this profession doesn't exactly look out for it's members...

The ALPA cheerleaders like PCL and Rez need to understand that and press for changes within ALPA... We need to put an end to the competition and we need to have "brand scope"..... We also need to press for higher entry requirements....Until then, we will all do what is best for our own situation, and that will not help the profession.....Then we will come on FI and b!tch about it... Some things will never change....

Last edited:
You may night like what Joe says, but what he says makes a lot of sense. If the RJDC had no been going on during 911. We would have had Jets For Jobs at ASA and if you don't think so your crazy!

701EV

PCL said he'd rather work for Mesa than SkyWest. that should tell you everything.

You may night like what Joe says, but what he says makes a lot of sense. If the RJDC had no been going on during 911. We would have had Jets For Jobs at ASA and if you don't think so your crazy!

701EV

701EV..... you are correct about "jets4jobs".... A very senior ASA MEC member just told me that he is sad to see the RJDC lawsuit come to an end.... he said that the lawsuit hanging over ALPA's head did help us at ASA..... that is why I supported it and I think it served it's purpose......Hopefully it will change ALPA's behavior....only time will tell.....

PCL said he'd rather work for Mesa than SkyWest. that should tell you everything.

That is a key distinction between PCL128 and myself.... he is more interested in protecting ALPA,while I am more interested in protecting my job and my career.... Anyone who would rather work for Mesa than Skywest, needs to have their head examined.....

I would rather work for Skywest.....

We also need to press for higher entry requirements....Until then, we will all do what is best for our own situation, and that will not help the profession.....
And yet the rumor is that SkyWest will not have any "required" time minimums for employment next year. We (for the first time) could have the 500 hour wonders that others (Horizon, etc.) have had to experience.

I'm trying to figure out how we can have higher entry requirements and yet still find new pilots to replace those how have moved on and/or crew additional airplanes.

I don't have an answer.

I'm trying to figure out how we can have higher entry requirements and yet still find new pilots to replace those how have moved on and/or crew additional airplanes.

I don't have an answer.[/quote]

That's the crux of the issue: if the career of airline pilot is not rewarding enough to entice new blood, something will have to be done to make it more attractive. Till now, minimums have been lowered to allow new hires who haven't the experience to be a part of a safe part 121 flight crew. With no minimums, but still empty cockpits, first better work rules, then higher wages, are likely to follow.

However, all of this could change tomorrow if one of the regional carriers, MESA, for example, goes TU. A glut of already qualified pilots in the market would return the labor market to a position that is more favorable to management.

Johnny Green speaking...good Scotch.

Latest resources

Back