• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PCL off the Runway in TVC--no injuries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's some big news coming from NASA in a few weeks on this. NASA aeronautical/human factors scientists have determined that you must have flown exactly 1337 hours - no more, no less - before you can successfully and safely fly a regional jet.

Amazing.

Um, Al Gore said in an interview on Oprah it was 1694 hours.

Guys, obviously I don't know if this helped cause the accident, but looking at the temp on the metar, it's possible. If it was above freezing there in the hours before the accident and it had just dropped to 00 in the hour before the accident, that runway could have been icy as the average FI user's heart ;-)

Throw some recent snow on top of it for fun, and you have an ice skating rink. This happened to us once when it was drizzling most of the evening and had the temperature drop to 00 about 45 min before we landed. Luckily we had a long runway and direct headwind, so we didnt notice it until we turned off on the taxiway and almost slid into a snow bank sideways. Braking was nil and we reported it as such. The tower just about crapped their pants. Going about 5-10 kts on the taxi, we would slide a good 15 feet to stop every time. It was about the same time of night as well, 1am or so. No braking action reports were given to us.

yeah I feel bad for the crew, overrunning a contaminated runway is one of those accidents/incidents that has always happened and will always happen.

BA reports are crap at alot of airports and you don't know the whole story until after you hit the brakes at 130+knots just to realize that they don't do anything

Heres what I dont get

Actual landing distance on a RWY contaminated w/ snow plus the 115% additionional FAR requirement (Wet/Low vis) at 46000 lbs is 6480. If there is slush, ice, higher lnding weight, or just a knot above ref the distance goes up. Landing on a 6500 foot runway with these conditions and a little fatigue doesnt seem too smart.

6480 looks wrong, but your probably right. with that being said, if you refuse to fly every flight to a runway that isn't 10000feet long when there is a chance of snow and RW contaminant in the forecast the company may find that they don't need you around anymore. Its just one of those bummer incidents that most pilots look at and say, wow that could have been me.

Latest resources

Back