• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PCL off the Runway in TVC--no injuries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The nosegear collapsed after the aircraft exited the runway.

The 15% safety margin is already built into the performance tables provided in PCL's CFM.

If Toolcrib is correct and any ice was on the runway, the lowest possible landing distance would be around 8000 feet. Just a guess but if there was ice, a lot more damage would have been done to the aircraft and it would have gone farther past the runway end. That is just a guess.

The real culprit here may have been the tailwind component. On the loose snow chart, you add 160 ft/kt of tailwind. An 8 knot tailwind would add 1280 feet to the distance. While 8 knots is within the aircraft limitation, if there was a tailwind of 8 kts, the runway would be about 700 feet short. This might also account for damage level.

Interesting speculation, but who knows? I guess that is why they conduct an investigation.

I've been into TVC city MANY times in a PCL CRJ.

At MANY times at MANY different airports, IND, MKE, MBS, FNT, and too many other places to think of, the last couple thousand feet of runway doesn't always get treated and/or plowed and things can get dicey if you float just a bit too far with a tailwind and get into the really slick part.

Also, if the runway was icy, it wouldn't have done a BIT of damage to the aircraft until AFTER the aircraft exited the runway, assuming like you said that the nosegear collapsed AFTER they departed the paved surface.

I'd be very surprised if fatigue wasn't a contributing factor in the decision to land on a questionable surface with a tailwind along with the float this airplane has. How much you want to bet this was leg 4 or 5 after a 13+ hour duty day?

You may be on to something.

The pairing they were flying was a 3-day trip. This was their first day. Showtime is published as 0940 CDT with schedule duty out of 2306 EDT. Accident occurred at 0042 EDT. 14 hours of duty time. Leg number 5. OE with new FO on 3rd day of OE. BS braking action report. Heavy snow. You need a 7 and you roll snake eyes.

There's some big news coming from NASA in a few weeks on this. NASA aeronautical/human factors scientists have determined that you must have flown exactly 1337 hours - no more, no less - before you can successfully and safely fly a regional jet.

Amazing.

i know i'm tardy to the party, but that sh!t was funny.

btw you can bypass teh 1337 requirement with m4d h4x

The story isn't that an airplane went off the runway or Joe Notime was the pilot, but that it's April 12 and there was a snow storm in Michigan severe enough to ruin breaking action. Screw Michigan, I need to move to Florida.

Snowstorm in MI in April ? That ain't news ! :laugh: Especially Northern MI !
(Note that I now reside in TN....)

Quote:"I have personal experience with TVC tower giving a bad BA report and then when I tried to correct it they tried to give an eroneous report to the following aircraft. I think we need to be looking at airport ops at TVC rather than the crew on this one."
What are the chances of this actually happening?

Last edited:
Quote:"I have personal experience with TVC tower giving a bad BA report and then when I tried to correct it they tried to give an eroneous report to the following aircraft. I think we need to be looking at airport ops at TVC rather than the crew on this one."
What are the chances of this actually happening?

I think after LEX and some other accidents where the guys and gals on the ground were an issue, there might be more interest in ATC/airport.

Hopefully it won't be pilot error until proven innocent.

Heck I just had to do my first ever go-around due to getting to minimums and not seeing a runway at PHL. Yah, they were reporting 2500 BKN and the converging 17 mins are about 600 AGL. As Bob Ueker said in "Major League" - "JUUUUST a bit outside."

Go arounds are good... unless its Mexicana in CAVU, right? :nuts:

Latest resources

Back