• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS Frontline expose' on regional airline industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its subtle but if you notice, Roger Cohen is telling the truth. No one is forcing you to work for Colgan. Another words, why would a company change their ways when people still show up for work? No one is forcing you to commute in the back of cargo planes. Average pay for a regional pilot is not 1200 dollars per month. Safety is the number one priority. Im not saying all of the above are OK but it is what it is. Roger Cohen is speaking on behalf of the company, what do you guys expect?

Last edited:
The president of the regional airlines... You can sure tell he is worthless.

Actually, he's increadibly effective at selling his point and message. Unfortunately, it favors the airlines and their management- not us, the pilots, and our plight. He works for regional management- doesn't give a d*&n about you or I. Management sure is getting their money's worth from this scumbag.............................

I can't stand the guy, I really can't. But where was our representation in this???? Why isn't ALPA standing up and making a bigger stink about this? Frankly, ALPA is being far too civil about it- the gloves need to come off in order to affect change.

Nevets- I've never been in favor of a two tiered feudal system where regionals and majors were on seperate seniority lists. It's quite simple- pilots have become their own worst enemy. We're busy fighting each other over qualifications and hiring aptitude when we should be worrying about the best way to up the ante and take back out industry- collectively. That's exactly why I believe, without hesitation, that the regionals ought to be stapled to their respective carriers mainline seniority llist. However, I have NEVER met a mainline pilot that thought this was an acceptable idea. They're worried about the tallent of the pilots being stapled.

My solution is just do the staple, and let the weak fall through in the training process for other aircraft. As I've said prior- let the managements worry about hiring qualifications and let the pilots worry about the pay.....

But where was our representation in this???? Why isn't ALPA standing up and making a bigger stink about this? Frankly, ALPA is being far too civil about it- the gloves need to come off in order to affect change.
Don't plan on the gloves coming off anytime soon. Civility is ALPA's course of action...has been for many years. It's how they build "credibility" (even if it's at the expense of the membership)

If you can accept the fact that ALPA is looking out for ALPA's best interests FIRST...then you won't be so disappointed in the future. It's all about realistic expectations...and ALPA doesn't deliver on expectations.

Don't forget to mail your dues.

Actually, he's increadibly effective at selling his point and message. Unfortunately, it favors the airlines and their management- not us, the pilots, and our plight. He works for regional management- doesn't give a d*&n about you or I. Management sure is getting their money's worth from this scumbag.............................

He's anything but effective. Most people - both inside and outside the industry - see him as advocating a system that directily leads to aviation accidents. He's perceived as everything that's wrong with the system- profit margins over safety. He's not fooling anyone, and even HE knows that. His body language spoke very loudly to me in this interview - that he didn't really believe what he was saying. Miles did a great job of leading him down a seemingly innocent path, and then ambushing him. In the end, Cohen had that 'deer in the headlights' look. This episode of Frontline has the potential to jumpstart the legislative process that stalled last year. Not to say I agree with all the proposed changes, but in many ways, we'll be moving in the right direction.

He's anything but effective. Most people - both inside and outside the industry - see him as advocating a system that directily leads to aviation accidents. He's perceived as everything that's wrong with the system- profit margins over safety. He's not fooling anyone, and even HE knows that. His body language spoke very loudly to me in this interview - that he didn't really believe what he was saying. Miles did a great job of leading him down a seemingly innocent path, and then ambushing him. In the end, Cohen had that 'deer in the headlights' look. This episode of Frontline has the potential to jumpstart the legislative process that stalled last year. Not to say I agree with all the proposed changes, but in many ways, we'll be moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately he sells his rubish well- that's why we have to "restart" the legislative process. In short, you're seeing special intrest lobby money at work.

Its subtle but if you notice, Roger Cohen is telling the truth. No one is forcing you to work for Colgan. Another words, why would a company change their ways when people still show up for work? No one is forcing you to commute in the back of cargo planes. Average pay for a regional pilot is not 1200 dollars per month. Safety is the number one priority. Im not saying all of the above are OK but it is what it is. Roger Cohen is speaking on behalf of the company, what do you guys expect?

Thanks boss!

I can't stand the guy, I really can't. But where was our representation in this???? Why isn't ALPA standing up and making a bigger stink about this? Frankly, ALPA is being far too civil about it- the gloves need to come off in order to affect change.QUOTE]

ALPA national has become an entity solely capable of setting up glamorous photo ops and putting out a glossy magazine that costs you and I unreasonably close to $1 million/yr to publish because "some people" haven't caught up to the internet age yet.

The gloves won't come off because, like national politics, why "change" the system that got you elected and pays you hundreds of grand each year to pretty much NOT improve conditions for the people who you're supposed to represent?

Latest resources

Back