Paying for 1st officer training?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Brad Eldredge

Could anyone help a low-timer out? 700 hours and 150 ME. Trying to make myself as attractive as possible to the regionals. I'm thinking of enrolling in Ameriflight's 1st officer training. It sounds great - get 250 hours of turbine and trained in a 135 operation. I'm getting a lot of mixed responses from other pilots. Some think its really going to help me - others say its scabbing and that they would never hire me if I did it. Has anyone heard if the airlines like it or not?

Don't do it, big mistake....

No one is hiring right now anyhow, so all you are doing is wasting your money...

Plus that is basically Pay-For-Training and we ALL know how everyone feels about that...

Don't ruin your career before it even gets started... you will really regret it later....

Brad Eldredge said:
Could anyone help a low-timer out? 700 hours and 150 ME. Trying to make myself as attractive as possible to the regionals. I'm thinking of enrolling in Ameriflight's 1st officer training. It sounds great - get 250 hours of turbine and trained in a 135 operation. I'm getting a lot of mixed responses from other pilots. Some think its really going to help me - others say its scabbing and that they would never hire me if I did it. Has anyone heard if the airlines like it or not?

First off I think the term SCAB is thrown around too much. The only SCABS I know of are the ones who cross the picket line. There is nothing more reprehensible in our industry.

With that said, I think your time is right about what most of the Pre 9/11 mins were for a lot of regionals. I don't know much about Ameriflight's program, but it might behove you to try to get just a little more total time somehow and start applying. I know that PSA is hiring both furloughed pilots and pilots with around your kind of time.

Will Ameriflight hire you after training? This is something you might want to think about.

Anyway, I don't think going to Ameriflight will hurt you in anyway.

Best of Luck

Go Rangers

Last edited:
More details needed...

Why don't you explain the program, what your duties will be and how much you are paying for this time. Are you referring to a program like Eagle Jet or is this directly from Ameriflight?

Like a previous post said: No one is hiring right now. The best thing you can do in your position is find a FBO that does 135 charter and flight instruct for them. Hopefully the position will lead into some 135 flying, preferably in a twin. If you absolutly don't want to flight instruct, I would look into Gulfstream down in Florida. You pay for BE1900 training, but you are, if I am not mistaken, guranteed a job at least for a certain amount of time after training. I didn't go there and don't know too much about it. Times are tough now, but it is NOT for me to tell you that there is not a single airline that will hire you. I just remember hearing stories from people that could not find jobs back in the mid-90's even with 2,000TT and it seems that we are at the bottom of this cycle. Flight instruct, tow banners, fly skydivers, but don't give up on being a pilot. Hope that helps.

Just say NO and be patient like everybody else in this industry.

First

First, let's get this out of the way.

People have been hired this year and are continuing to be hired. In big numbers like pre 911, no but people have been hired at most regionals along with Southwest, Airtran, and Alaska.

In todays envrionment, are you competitive, not real strong. Most of the people that get hired that are not in a program, have about 500 hours more than you and most of that is multi engine with some turbine.

In this area, getting an instructor position is not as easy as some seem to make it.

Look at the programs that are out there, evaluate where you will be at the end, what it cost, and go for it.

Re: More details needed...

phutch said:
Why don't you explain the program, what your duties will be and how much you are paying for this time. Are you referring to a program like Eagle Jet or is this directly from Ameriflight?

Thank you everyone for all of your replies.

Yes, it is exactly like Eagle Jet, in fact, Eagle Jet is who I would go through. The program works like this: I pay $13,000 and they send me through Ameriflight's ground school. As I understand it, I would receive all the training a salaried new captain would. I would take a SIC checkride and then be assigned a line for 4-6 months as a FO (without pay) in a Beech 99 for 250 hours (I could also choose the 1900 or a metro for slightly more $). I would fly alternating legs logging approx. 125 PIC and 125 SIC. No guarantee on a job afterwards... they say the best FO's do get hired. Eagle Jet 'claims' to help get you interviews - could just be smoke.

Sounds like a lot of money (in fact, it is a lot of money). However, its only $52/hr. Buying twin time would be more than this. That's why this is so tempting. BUT...I don't want to do this if airlines are going to frown on this....man, I just want a job!!

P.S. Who is PSA?

Re: Re: More details needed...

Brad Eldredge said:

Sounds like a lot of money (in fact, it is a lot of money). However, its only $52/hr. Buying twin time would be more than this. That's why this is so tempting. BUT...I don't want to do this if airlines are going to frown on this....man, I just want a job!!

P.S. Who is PSA?

PSA is a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways, they fly the Dornier 328.

I can understand that you want a job, I don't think that you have to go the route you are considering. But if you do I am sure it won't hurt you in the long run. I do think however, that you should try to exhaust all other possibilities before you go this way.

Best of Luck

NYRANGERS

Remember this....

Pay-For-Training (job) takes away a PAYING Job from some other pilot....

If there weren't people such as yourself who are willing to pay to fly for these companies, they would be forced to HIRE a pilot to fill the position....

Last time I checked I have never had a Doctor pay me to cure me, I have never had a Lawyer pay me to represent me, I have never had an accountant pay me to do my taxes....

Why should you pay a company to fill a seat that they NEED filled???

Remember pilots hire pilots.... Just like in the early 90's there are a lot of out of work pilots who could use a job.... with families to feed....

Just my $0.02 worth....

Latest resources

Back