Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falcon Capt said:
Remember this....

Pay-For-Training (job) takes away a PAYING Job from some other pilot....

Do you include SouthWest in your statement? Just curious......

NYRANGERS said:
Falcon Capt said:
Remember this....

Do you include SouthWest in your statement? Just curious......

Uhhh, no. Haven't we been down this road before, and before, and before.

NYRANGERS said:

Do you include SouthWest in your statement? Just curious...... [/B]

Nope... SWA requires a Type Rating as a Prerequisite before hiring you... SWA pays you during their training AND while you are flying for them....

If you noticed he said he pays this company $13,000 for training in the right seat of a Beech 99 (King Air) (I find it hard to believe the training costs anywhere near $13,000, its a King Air for God's sakes!) and THEN you fly for them 250 hours (UNpaid)....

At SWA you are hired and get paid during training (as well as training costs are paid by the company), you get paid while you are flying for them also.... Just like UAL used to require an FE Written, SWA requires a B737 Type... They don't make you buy the type from them and then make you fly for free for 250 hours....

Huge difference....

Falcon Capt said:

Just like UAL used to require an FE Written, SWA requires a B737 Type... They don't make you buy the type from them and then make you fly for free for 250 hours....

Huge difference....

I guess this topic has been discussed before. I realize there is a difference ( al be it subtle). But come on, you compare a $30 written to an $8000 type, please....

SWA pays for your training, SWA pays you a salary during the training, SWA pays you to fly for them and you have a job after 250 hours.

This Eagle Jet does NOT pay for your training (you do), does NOT pay you during training, does NOT pay you while flying for them and does NOT guarantee you a job after your 250 hours are up...

I would say this is more than just a "Subtle" difference....

By the way, the B737 type is a job qualification prerequisite, just like having an ATP with Multi-Engine is, or a 4 year degree is for a lot of other jobs...

Nobody is paying SWA to ride around in their right seat... SWA is paying a pilot to do that....

HUGE difference....

Re: Re: Re: More details needed...

EMB guy said:
If you take the tried and true route of instructing, banner towing, traffic watch, glider towing, and then some 135 positions no one will doubt your integrity.....ever. And you might even know a little bit about flying by the time you show up in an airliner cockpit.

Well said.....

PFT

Do not by any means Pay for your training! There are many ways to get quaility flight time even during this post 9/11 downturn.You just have to be very motivated and get out there and sell yourself. 1000 doors will be slamed in your face but there is that one that will be open.And that is all it takes, save that cash and buy some real estate with it. What ever you do DON"T GIVE UP!!

FlyChicaga said:
At many of the companies I would want to work for, it says they require a four-year degree. Well gosh darn I must be one of those PFT jag-offs, since I've dropped near $15,000 for that requirement.

It's also a prerequisite to get a CFI certificate to flight instruct here. I guess the $20,000 I spent in this university flight program for all my ratings up to and including my CFI makes me a PFTer, again.

I agree that programs where you must pay to fly right seat are very detrimental to this profession. However, for companies that require you obtain some particular rating or type, I can't complain about that. Take a look at Climbto350.com. How many of those companies require a type in something and X amount of time to be considered? I see all the time "current and typed in CL-604" or something. Wow, lots of PFT corporate/charter companies out there.

:eek:

Please, please spare us the rhetoric. We all know what's PFT and what isn't.

PFT

We have had this discussion before but as far as I can tell, only Gulfstream qualifies as a PFT situation. Airnet and these other programs are single pilot ops or are structured where they are not PFT/

Frontier Flying Service is offering a similar program. I don't agree with it but it does happen.
I don't think its that bad flying around the dogpatch flight instructing, not that I would wan't to do that again but it is a great learning oppurtunity.(sp)

Jobear

Latest resources

Back