• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, pilots working overtime at HAL doesn't hurt furloughed pilots. To be honest, no one really cares. This was only brought to attention when some of your furloughed pilots started speculating on replacing current AQ pilots if some mythical merger was about to happen. Can you see the bait and switch now? Why don't we just let it die and see what happens in the courts. If we keep up the game of who's better than who pretty soon someone will start a thread about HAL pilots being unprofessional for not wearing ties with the uniform.

P.S. How do your young taste with the mango salsa?

Well said socal, I have to laugh at people who don't work at Hawaiian throwing all kinds of judgements around that are pretty ridiculous. The fact is, as you said, we are all trying to survive and we are all dealing with problems that are not of our own making. Hawaiian has had it's ups and downs but we have seen our perserverance pay off. It sucks that 98 got furloughed due to Adam's gamble (brain fart?) but the majority of the furloughed pilots are showing the same perserverance that Ewa Beach just showed in PA. We have done everything we can for our furloughed pilots, we havn't prevented ANYBODY from being recalled by flying overtime and the furloughed pilots well being is a high priority for the vast majority of active pilots. They WILL be back soon. We have found a pretty good balance between the volatilty of our industry and protecting our employee's. When you return, it will be an even better Hawaiian than the one you left.

Been gone for awhile and just got back to respond to some of the accusations leveled by Small Jorgan and Strangebrew.

1. I am a once furloughed pilot at Hawaiian that was one of the fortunate ones to get called back recently. Making accusations that our guys are not getting called back because our active guys are picking up OPEN flying is incorrect and it is not as simple as you may think. I had the same mentality when I was furloughed at Hawaiian and was pretty pissed!!! If you look at the recall sheets at hawaiian on a month to month basis-there has been very few if not any (in some months) of recall pay.

2. Our mgmt. decided that the employees were going to take the brunt of this blunder that Adams had put us into. ALPA did everything in thier power to lessen the blow. They provided a good example of how to handle a 1113 case and will be a benchmark to other alpa groups-maybe even Aloha's??? This extra flying crap your whinning about is peanuts compared to the whole picture!! Maybe you should worry more about ISLAND AIR taking your jobs at ALOHA as compared to guys flying extra at HAL-What your owners are doing to you is WAY MORE dangerous than what you bitch about at HAL!!!!
give us some better examples of how our senior pilots are supposely screwing our furloughed.

3. I wish you guys luck at ALOHA-I am happy to see that you have an investor lined up to take you guys over!! I like the fact that we will have 2 strong carriers in Hawaii. I have alot of buddies over there from my Island Air days and want them to succeed, but something that has always bothered me about your union leadership is that they have a tendency to put down Hawaiian on numerous occansions (I dont want to list them all here). Instead of working with them to help the two groups fight the challenges we face- your leaders spew hate and spead it to you junior pilots!!!!

4. I wont post anything on Aloha that I dont have any facts on. You guys should CHECK YOURSELVES!!! before you go pointing fingers at Hawaiian pilots!! Dont write with emotions but facts!!!!

kickin' it and still posting.....

Ok, first off...I'm kickin' it on 20 days off and I am not happy about having to respond to anyone right now! (low level humor there.....)

Secondly, I don't think hugh works for AQ anymore. Regardless, can you really question anyone's logic on the furloghed pilot issue? It makes perfect sense that if you have the need for X hours to be flown and you have Y pilots, that the X/Y=Z....Z being the number of hours flown per pilot. If you raise Z then the ratio of X and Y must change. Obviously, the number of hours needing to be flown aint goin' nowhere....therefore, Y would be the logical assumption for some sort of a modification. Now you're saying it doesn't work that way. FINE! I believe you. We believe you. It just seems odd. Our guys sent those of us furloughed after 9-11 a 'booster check' to help us get bye. Our impression...again OUR IMPRESSION...is that we are a tighter knit group than what goes on over there with your two groups.

You're right about Island Air taking our jobs. It is pure and unadultered bull$hit. Not only did we realize that. We called them on it. We had an arbitrator rule in our favor. Our prize? A lawsuit from the company. That said, since you're pointing it out, I'd like to thank you for your help in the matter and not standing up against the codeshare that HAL has entered with Island Air. Hate to have any help from our bruddahs across the ramp. Actually, that's not fair. It wouldn't matter either way. Both our companies have been beat like wet dogs. Our MECs can growl and snap like pitbulls but management is outside their backyards.

You mentioned that you wouldn't post anything about Aloha without facts. That's very cool of you. I'll try and do the same. Since you proffered that one, you just pointed out that AQ's union leadership has a tendancy to put HAL down. Could you post some facts on that? Really. I've been here 4 years and the worst thing I remember our MEC saying about your MEC was that you guys work too much. I am gonna officially apologize for that one. But I do look forward to your facts....please post soon!

Lastly, good lord, what a pathetic profession we have become. ALPA rolls over like a soccer ball at the drop of a hat.... Pilot, FA, and Machinist Unions no longer band together. Few ever agree not to cross the picket of another union's line. This is THAT bad. We really are in a race for the bottom. Let's forget about that now though...let's go back to bitching about who is more despicable...AQ or HAL!

Erndogg said:
Been gone for awhile and just got back to respond to some of the accusations leveled by Small Jorgan and Strangebrew.

1. I am a once furloughed pilot at Hawaiian that was one of the fortunate ones to get called back recently. Making accusations that our guys are not getting called back because our active guys are picking up OPEN flying is incorrect and it is not as simple as you may think. I had the same mentality when I was furloughed at Hawaiian and was pretty pissed!!! If you look at the recall sheets at hawaiian on a month to month basis-there has been very few if not any (in some months) of recall pay.

2. Our mgmt. decided that the employees were going to take the brunt of this blunder that Adams had put us into. ALPA did everything in thier power to lessen the blow. They provided a good example of how to handle a 1113 case and will be a benchmark to other alpa groups-maybe even Aloha's??? This extra flying crap your whinning about is peanuts compared to the whole picture!! Maybe you should worry more about ISLAND AIR taking your jobs at ALOHA as compared to guys flying extra at HAL-What your owners are doing to you is WAY MORE dangerous than what you bitch about at HAL!!!!
give us some better examples of how our senior pilots are supposely screwing our furloughed.

3. I wish you guys luck at ALOHA-I am happy to see that you have an investor lined up to take you guys over!! I like the fact that we will have 2 strong carriers in Hawaii. I have alot of buddies over there from my Island Air days and want them to succeed, but something that has always bothered me about your union leadership is that they have a tendency to put down Hawaiian on numerous occansions (I dont want to list them all here). Instead of working with them to help the two groups fight the challenges we face- your leaders spew hate and spead it to you junior pilots!!!!

4. I wont post anything on Aloha that I dont have any facts on. You guys should CHECK YOURSELVES!!! before you go pointing fingers at Hawaiian pilots!! Dont write with emotions but facts!!!!

AQ PILOT said:
You're right about Island Air taking our jobs. It is pure and unadultered bull$hit. Not only did we realize that. We called them on it. We had an arbitrator rule in our favor. Our prize? A lawsuit from the company.
Oh good lord. Can't you AQ guys let this thing die? Mommy, those mean kids flying those 37-seat POS props took my job! I'm sure you think that it was the decision of the WP pilot group to fly YOUR routes. Each and every pilot at Island Air collaborated and schemed to take YOUR job. Let me say it for you: SCOPE CLAUSE! Whatever.

AQ PILOT said:
Lastly, good lord, what a pathetic profession we have become. ALPA rolls over like a soccer ball at the drop of a hat.... Pilot, FA, and Machinist Unions no longer band together. Few ever agree not to cross the picket of another union's line. This is THAT bad. We really are in a race for the bottom.
Did your three unions stick together? Or did the mechanics end up before the judge alone?

RJP said:
Did your three unions stick together? Or did the mechanics end up before the judge alone?

i believe he's speaking of the entire industry inclusively there.

btw...no one is blaming the pilots. zander is the idiot that created this mess. the pilots even approached him with options of scope relief and such. he was even quoted as saying he's not stupid enough to create another competitor....hmmm.

btw, are you aware that the mighty mighty is flying seaplanes now? time to up the boat insurance. :)

Last edited:
You're right about Island Air taking our jobs. It is pure and unadultered bull$hit. Not only did we realize that. We called them on it. We had an arbitrator rule in our favor. Our prize? A lawsuit from the company. That said, since you're pointing it out, I'd like to thank you for your help in the matter and not standing up against the codeshare that HAL has entered with Island Air. Hate to have any help from our bruddahs across the ramp. Actually, that's not fair. It wouldn't matter either way. Both our companies have been beat like wet dogs. Our MECs can growl and snap like pitbulls but management is outside their backyards.

I dont know the exact timeframe between when we signed on with Island Air and when they started to violate the scope-but I will voice my concern to my reps at ALPA on this issue. Even more so now that your company is trying to use the BK court to eliminate scope.

You mentioned that you wouldn't post anything about Aloha without facts. That's very cool of you. I'll try and do the same. Since you proffered that one, you just pointed out that AQ's union leadership has a tendancy to put HAL down. Could you post some facts on that? Really. I've been here 4 years and the worst thing I remember our MEC saying about your MEC was that you guys work too much. I am gonna officially apologize for that one. But I do look forward to your facts....please post soon!

I've been told by my buddies at Aloha that when they were in orientation that the ALPA reps dissing Hawaiian during their pre-BK conversion to the 767/717 saying that they were unprofessional and they would fall flat on thier face. This is a direct quote from a buddy of mine (that no longer works for Aloha). have also been told (by my other active Aloha buddies) similar mudslinging has been the norm over there. The point I want to make is that were in this fight to preserve our future together. I hope that Hawaiian and Aloha will get through this whole industry crisis and a frickkin barrel of oil stays below $100.00.

Latest resources

Back