• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 135 First Officer Intern Wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can anyone actually log SIC time in an airplane that requires only one pilot?

8inman, do your ops specs require an SIC?

Can anyone actually log SIC time in an airplane that requires only one pilot?

8inman, do your ops specs require an SIC?

If it's 135 charter, you can log SIC time as long as you've had an SIC checkride from a designated check airman and an oral or written exam. Has nothing to do with op specs, insurance mins, etc. It also doesn't matter if the airplane is certified single pilot or not, as it's the regs that require two pilots not the airplane.

Airnet even had a way of doing it with 135 freight, but I'm not as familiar with how that works out legally.

Yes, but this is cargo, isn't it? It says "daily scheduled cargo flights" So 135 regs don't require 2 pilots on cargo as far as I remember. And it's a single-pilot type. So if the ops specs don't require it, and the regs don't require it (my understanding), there is no SIC time.

Admittedly I don't remember/know what the passenger carrying requirements are. So I could be wrong about that, but this is clearly cargo.

Either way, it's filthy. As an operator, you don't need the SIC, the airplane's going flying any way. Let a young guy ride along and help with the loading/unloading, filing, etc. He can be helpful and won't cost you a dime. Win/WIn.

Last edited:
Well, I pretty much agree. But like I said before, Airnet figured out a way to allow SICs to legally log time in the right seat of a Baron, so I know there must be some way to get the FAA to sign off on it. I'm just not that familiar with that side of the regs though.

$13500 could buy a good bit of time in a light twin that you could fly all buy your self.
PFT= donating everyone elses wages to a black hole you Piece of $hit!!

I'm not current on this side of the REGS, but my understanding on logging PIC or SIC (Part 135 rules) is that you have to be COMPANY TRAINED, FLIGHT CHECKED and "REQUIRED by FAA Regulations" :rolleyes:
Under Part 91 is a different story, you can't log SIC but you can log some little PIC if the PIC (designated) allows you to be the "sole manipulator of the control"...... how often is a box hauler ever on Part 91 LEG? :D

I was in CWA for almost 2 yrs, met a couple of cool Freight Runner dudes...they could sure need some extra pair of hands loading/unloading, especially during those 6 months winter season...:D

Like I said before, you guys are certainly entitled to your own opinions and I respect that. It is my understanding that the interns are given training and check rides as an SIC and can log SIC time. Our ops don't require an SIC, but that doesn't mean you can't log it. For example, some jets are certified single-pilot as well, but most of the time they are flown with two pilots both logging it. If you spent the same amount of money on buying time in a seminole, you wouldn't get the same type of real world experience that you get flying the line.

Free room

If anyone is considering this operation I can offer a free room and bath About 20 minutes from the airport but a car would be needed.

Retired NWA Capt and I'd enjoy the company.

PM me for contact number.

Yes, but this is cargo, isn't it? It says "daily scheduled cargo flights" So 135 regs don't require 2 pilots on cargo as far as I remember. And it's a single-pilot type. So if the ops specs don't require it, and the regs don't require it (my understanding), there is no SIC time.

Admittedly I don't remember/know what the passenger carrying requirements are. So I could be wrong about that, but this is clearly cargo.

Either way, it's filthy. As an operator, you don't need the SIC, the airplane's going flying any way. Let a young guy ride along and help with the loading/unloading, filing, etc. He can be helpful and won't cost you a dime. Win/WIn.
For passengers, it's required for a plane with a configuration of 10 or more pax, the BE99 can be configured for 15.

As far as cargo goes, no operator is going to schedule a captain for more than 8 hours flight time (in 24) without a hired and paid FO. The FO is required for a 10 hour day. In this case, having the "intern" FO opens up the opportunity for a captain to accept an extra leg or two that wasn't previously scheduled.

Also, in order to have ops specs for a low visability takeoff (1200 RVR or 1/4 mile) you need an FO.

In either case, it's not enough of an incentive for most 135 operators to go out and hire an FO, but does justify their presence in the plane in the case of time building programs.

In the end it's the FED's and your future employers that you have to convince that it's valid. I'd be more concerned with the latter. I've heard about FO's going into interviews and being asked if it's legal. It's more a question to see if you know your regs and can defend it, than if it's actually legitimate. If they like you they'll accept it. If they don't, they'll use it against you.

I'm sure the same thing could be said about safety pilot time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back