Over AGE 60 PILOTS TO FLY IN UNITED STATES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Prussian said:
That matters if that is what is important to you. But if you're interested in truth, justice, and the American Way,....well,...

And come on,....safety added as an after thought??!!

BS. The truth is no pilot working right now could reasonably expect to be working past 60 when they started. Most have benefitted from the rule and have advanced accordingly. If you are interested in truth, justice, etc. then you should muster some respect for the entire seniority process and hold better regard for what will happen to those to come after you. It is inadequate to simply rellagate them to working longer.

FYI: I´m flying right now with a guy 3 weeks from retirement right now. He´s a pretty good stick. But he is not handling this very well, hates the air I breath just for being younger, and is acting like a child.

flobgut, I planned on working way pass 60 when I was going to work for ACA in 1996, but the one rule for everyone of 1994, took that option away. So don't give me anyone flying today knew the rule.

pilotyip said:
flobgut, I planned on working way pass 60 when I was going to work for ACA in 1996, but the one rule for everyone of 1994, took that option away. So don't give me anyone flying today knew the rule.

That is ridiculous. EVERYONE in this business has known about the age 60 rule for airline pilots. You may have flown the part 135 portion of ACA or some other airline, but you knew the part 121 rules. If you did not, you were not paying attention. Regardless, it is dangerous.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
How about firemen and policemen? Is it unfair to make them retire too before that age? Do you want 64 year old cops running after gang members in NYC? That would be interesting. Bye Bye--General Lee

Nope, but the last time I saw a Captain run was down an isle to get a leftover copy of USA Today, hardly like chasing a crack addict mugger or carrying a passed out smoke inhalation victim down four flights of stairs.

scoreboard said:
Nope, but the last time I saw a Captain run was down an isle to get a leftover copy of USA Today, hardly like chasing a crack addict mugger or carrying a passed out smoke inhalation victim down four flights of stairs.

So, you totally discount the fact of crossing ten thousand time zones over 30 years as creating dangerous fatigue? Of course you do. You must be new to SWA. Keep doing 6 legs a day for 20 more years, and I bet you will look great and feel great!

Bye Bye--General Lee

general lee under 30 seats was schdued 135 service until 1996, you could fly as long as passed a medical. It was changed to 121 and bumped all the over 60 guys out of the cockpit. The oldest 121 pilot retired in 2000 at age 69, grandfathered under the change to 121. If I could have flown beyond 60 at ACA I would taken the job. BTW the comment was everyone knew about this rule for 121, but they were flying 135 and it was forced upon thme because 121 pilots kept crashing.

General Lee said:
So, you totally discount the fact of crossing ten thousand time zones over 30 years as creating dangerous fatigue? Of course you do. You must be new to SWA. Keep doing 6 legs a day for 20 more years, and I bet you will look great and feel great!

Bye Bye--General Lee
I discount the time zones and any and all arguments you have. I've met you in ATL and I think I could outfly , outfight, out f----you any day and I'm almost 60!! All of your arguments are pure BS. You are one of the weakwilled sisters of ATL that vote in this POS because you don't have the intestinal fortitude to WALK THE WALK. You need a new hobby.

pilotyip said:
general lee under 30 seats was schdued 135 service until 1996, you could fly as long as passed a medical. It was changed to 121 and bumped all the over 60 guys out of the cockpit. The oldest 121 pilot retired in 2000 at age 69, grandfathered under the change to 121. If I could have flown beyond 60 at ACA I would taken the job. BTW the comment was everyone knew about this rule for 121, but they were flying 135 and it was forced upon thme because 121 pilots kept crashing.

Yes, I know, I was at Midway Connection in the early 90's and we had some of those guys on our E120s and D228s. I know the rules, and we had some very old retired old pilot engineers (ROPES) flying the 727FE and L1011 FE after age 60 too until we got rid of them. Regardless, we all know the rules and have known them since we got hired. ALPA will fight that rule, and most ALPA members are younger. Heck, we just got rid of 2300 senior pilots here at DL, and that is 2300 fewer votes to try to increase the age limit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GCAP said:
I discount the time zones and any and all arguments you have. I've met you in ATL and I think I could outfly , outfight, out f----you any day and I'm almost 60!! All of your arguments are pure BS. You are one of the weakwilled sisters of ATL that vote in this POS because you don't have the intestinal fortitude to WALK THE WALK. You need a new hobby.

You met me? Really? I don't think so. Outfight me? Oh come on now, especially if you are near 60. No way. And, I will vote no, you can count on that. I also enjoy this board, and I will continue to give my opinions regardless of what an old fart like you says. Get some sleep.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
When rules that were put into place no longer apply to the current situation they are changed! Look at all the laywers there are in this country to make sure this continually happens. The rule that was put into place in 1959 no longer applies since people live much longer, are much healthier and have to work longer to get there retirement benefits respectively at 62,65 and 67. The age rule will change whether you like it or not, its just a matter of time. The more airlines that disolve there pension obligation will just strenten the pace at which it gets changed. IMO the younger Pilots would be better off to try to get a gradial phase in of age rather than taking an immediate 5 year hit!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back