On-duty controller during crash had 2 hours sleep before work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whatfuelpolicy said:
ATC is supposed to visually verify the aircraft's location on the airport every time an instruction is given. Or at least that's what I was taught when I went through ATC school in the military.

Not doubting what you said, but how is that possible at airports with signs that say "ATC Non Vis Area"?

ATC definition is to separate aircraft=NOT FLY IT !!

STOP blaming the controller, that is what the media wants us to do! What he did was legal and he indeed made sure that Comair was cleared for T.O. as far as landing traffic and once airborne.

There are numbers on the runway!!! REMEMBER we fly more with our HEADS than we do with our FEET and HANDS...

scarlet said:
ATC definition is to separate aircraft=NOT FLY IT !!
quote]

A controller's duty is to separate planes, and to ensure proper aircraft movement on the ground by proper taxi instructions and by watching his/her traffic. This controller was functioning as ground and local controller, so he should have not "turned his back" to this flight. The crew is ultimately responsible for this mishap, no one is arguing that, and made a tragic mistake. Read the comments here from former/retired controllers. They all say what I just wrote. You watch your traffic, period. If he had done this at LEX, maybe, just maybe, this accident could have been prevented. That is all we're all saying. Fly safe!

Hoser

The Hose-man is totally accurate on this one. A local controller who does not watch the traffic is not doing their job. Ground control also for that matter. Been there, done that, just like Hoser.

A controller might feel that a regular operator's flightcrew was familiar with the airport and current taxiway/runway projects. A fatigued controller, distracted by too many other duties, operating solo, might not be babysitting each departure. I'm sure the man is devastated, because no matter what the extenuating circumstances were, he will feel he missed the last chance to prevent a tragedy.

The flightcrew missed their chances to do the same. (Okay, a show of hands: how many of you were always crosschecking your runway heading on takeoff? And I mean before this disaster.)

I think we are going to find out some unpleasant facts about signage, markings, lights, etc.

ATR-DRIVR said:
The Hose-man is totally accurate on this one. A local controller who does not watch the traffic is not doing their job. Ground control also for that matter. Been there, done that, just like Hoser.

Negative, the controller issued a take off clearance, the crew accepted that clearance, and failed to follow that clearance. Its not the controllers job to check that the pilots are doing there job. Have you ever accepted a contact approach? Maintain visual separation?

whatfuelpolicy said:
ATC is supposed to visually verify the aircraft's location on the airport every time an instruction is given. Or at least that's what I was taught when I went through ATC school in the military.

Thats one of the differences between mil and civ ATC. When was the last time you had to verify landing gear down and locked?

erj-145mech said:
Negative, the controller issued a take off clearance, the crew accepted that clearance, and failed to follow that clearance. Its not the controllers job to check that the pilots are doing there job. Have you ever accepted a contact approach? Maintain visual separation?

Woooooooooooeeeeeeeee! Boy, you better stick to those wrenches and leave the real world to us professional peelots, okkkkk???? Clueless you are.

VOTED IN FAVOR!

erj-145mech said:
Thats one of the differences between mil and civ ATC. When was the last time you had to verify landing gear down and locked?

are them the planes you've worked on mechy, or are we supposed to believe you flew them, or went for a ride in some/all of them?

VOTED IN FAVOR!

erj-145mech said:

Here in the airline world mechy, gear down is verified down every landing! See mechy, those little Cessnuts have gear that's already down. Maybe that's why you're so confused. Now, back to the GA message board with you!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Latest resources

Back