• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On-duty controller during crash had 2 hours sleep before work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least controllers get to sleep in their own time zone. Try a high speed in EST when you live in PST and get back with me...

ASARJMan said:
Look here loser, back to turning wrenches with you. The pilots screwed the pooch, we've all said that. But the controller wasn't doing his job either, due to manning, rest, and too many additional duties at that hour at that airport, and confusing taxiways at LEX, and additional factors which the NTSB will find. You're such an expert monkey wrench, why don't you contact the NTSB and enrich them with your superior knowledge of everything aviation, especially ATC procedures.

There have been numerous "has-been" controllers come on here and try to explain controller responsibilities, but no, you've sat and watched controllers, so you're now the ATC expert, and won't listen to reason. No wonder you're just a monkey wrench!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

The controller performed his job duties, the aircraft did not have a collision with another aircraft or ground vehicle on the airport. The Administrator has already said that publically. Everything that I have said has been released by the NTSB in preliminary investigation. The final outcome will not be changed by much in its final form.

Its admiral the way that you're sticking up for your comrades, but you're barking up the wrong tree. When a crew brings me a broken aircraft, I don't try to place blame on something else, I fix it. If you don't find the problem, rather than hiding it, then you can't fix it.

I'm not just a monkey wrench, I am also a pilot. I know how to fit into the national airspace system, and do it. I just do it because I enjoy it, not because I have to. Once you get your head out of the sand, or a bodily oriface, you can see how everything melts together.

erj-145mech said:
I don't own any computer games, other than the card games that came loaded on the software. I have sat at ZHU and IAH TRACONS stations for several hours, and know the drills. You brought up my experience level, and I qualified it. When is the last time that you sat at a Center sector, listened to how the ATC system works? Asked questions of the controller?

It is my understanding that all ARTCCs have been closed to the public and even properly ID's pilot's since the 12th day of September, 2001. You must have an appointment and a general need to be in the facililty.

T8

Last edited:
erj-145mech said:
The controller performed his job duties, the aircraft did not have a collision with another aircraft or ground vehicle on the airport. The Administrator has already said that publically. Everything that I have said has been released by the NTSB in preliminary investigation. The final outcome will not be changed by much in its final form.

Its admiral the way that you're sticking up for your comrades, but you're barking up the wrong tree. When a crew brings me a broken aircraft, I don't try to place blame on something else, I fix it. If you don't find the problem, rather than hiding it, then you can't fix it.

I'm not just a monkey wrench, I am also a pilot. I know how to fit into the national airspace system, and do it. I just do it because I enjoy it, not because I have to. Once you get your head out of the sand, or a bodily oriface, you can see how everything melts together.

Let's put this pissing match to rest, boys. It's starting to sound like a bunch of 6th graders at a kick-ball game bragging about who's dad can beat up the other's dad.

Try showing the rest of us the professionals you really are (you do all have some type of airmen certification) and move on.

T8

ASARJMan said:
Look here loser, back to turning wrenches with you. The pilots screwed the pooch, we've all said that. But the controller wasn't doing his job either, due to manning, rest, and too many additional duties at that hour at that airport, and confusing taxiways at LEX, and additional factors which the NTSB will find. You're such an expert monkey wrench, why don't you contact the NTSB and enrich them with your superior knowledge of everything aviation, especially ATC procedures.

There have been numerous "has-been" controllers come on here and try to explain controller responsibilities, but no, you've sat and watched controllers, so you're now the ATC expert, and won't listen to reason. No wonder you're just a monkey wrench!

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Seriously, we may as well take this opportunity to hang ATC out to dry as much as possible. Defending them serves no purpose except to protect the FAA; staffing levels (and the resulting service and safety levels) won't improve until the FAA takes a lot of bad press... and we'll be lucky if that's all it takes.

I have no problem stuffing a mismanaged ATC system down Blakey's throat -- she deserves whatever she gets. Am I biased party? You betcha. But we're ALL biased parties here. Pilots should be jumping on this bandwagon faster than the controllers for obvious grim reasons.

Recently visited a tower at a small airport in central Texas where a buddy of mine works. They have ground radar. I dont know about the tower at KLEX but he stated that airports that have ATC blind spots on the field are supposed to have ground radar so the controller has a constant eye on aircraft movement. He also stated that at no time is their tower staffed with less than 2 controllers. KLEX tower was understaffed and the controller, although the crew accepted the taxi instructions, failed to keep an eye on his airplane until it departed. Until that aircraft is handed off to another controller, it is that controllers responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is safe and following the instructions given. The controller IS somewhat responsible.

whatfuelpolicy said:
The controller IS somewhat responsible.

We really need to make sure the FAA hears this loud and clear. This short staffing the towers is going to do nothing but cause problems. Yes, I have an agenda -- I'm supposed to go to work in one (er, a center.) You guys have rules that say you have to have two guys in a cockpit for safety reasons -- they can short staff us all they want, force overtime, yada yada, and we can either quit or grieve it. We sure can't strike over it. You can be damned sure that I want to work in a facility that's properly staffed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back