• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OJAP- Organization of Jewish Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
beytzim;1213218 There are so many ignorant pilots out there who came straight from the bible-belt south to flying and I'm the first Jewish person they ever meet. [/quote said:
So why do you equate the bible belt south with ignorance? Why didn't you just say "there are so many ignorant pilots" and leave the bible belt and the south out of it? What does the bible-belt south have to do with it?

There are certain pilots, some of who strongly believe in their faith, many of whom hail from a certain geographical area, who seem incapable of understanding that some of their coworkers might believe something other than that which they believe.

Better? :)

Last edited:
There are certain pilots, some of who strongly believe in their faith, many of whom hail from a certain geographical area, who seem incapable of understanding that some of their coworkers might believe something other than that which they believe.

Much better. Now, pass the pork. :D

No. The assumption is prejudice to begin with since it assumes that certain people are ignorant based on 1. their religious beliefs and 2. where they live.

If someone wants to tout their religious/ ethnic sensitivities then a good place to start is to avoid stereotyping others. JMO.:)

Recipe??? People actually make gefilte fish?? I just go to the store and buy a jar.

People actually eat that $hit? I thought it was just a decoration in the Jewish section at the grocery store. It never seems like they have to restock that stuff.

Just an observation I've noticed from the majority of Jewish people I've flown with or met (not everyone, but quite a bit).......How come Jewish people always ask so many questions and interrupt other parties in conversations? Kind of like Larry David, etc. Kind of like hyperactive speakers. Not trying to be a jerk, just curious.

Last edited:

\
No. The assumption is prejudice to begin with since it assumes that certain people are ignorant based on 1. their religious beliefs and 2. where they live.

If someone wants to tout their religious/ ethnic sensitivities then a good place to start is to avoid stereotyping others. JMO.:)

OK OK simmma dowwnna. Both of you are right. I am a jew and happened to live in the bible belt for many years. I met some of the nicest people there, but beytzim (ani yadati she ata israeli) is right in stating they dont know much about jews as a GENERALIZATION. There is nothing wrong with that as they aren't exposed to the culture much either. I dont know much about religions outside judaism and christianity.

I am dating a girl from the bible belt, and she knew nothing about my faith when we started. Thats OK! She is learning about my heritage b/c she wants to and thats cool too.

So next time someone asks you about gefilte fish and its not alabamaman, try and not get too wound up and just "share baby share"

"Just an observation I've noticed from the majority of Jewish people I've flown with or met (not everyone, but quite a bit).......How come Jewish people always ask so many questions and interrupt other parties in conversations? Kind of like Larry David, etc. Kind of like hyperactive speakers."

Alabamaman,

At least they don't talk to the screen in the Movie theater....!

"DOY!".. Jewish Homer

YKW

Just an observation I've noticed from the majority of Jewish people I've flown with or met (not everyone, but quite a bit).......How come Jewish people always ask so many questions and interrupt other parties in conversations? Kind of like Larry David, etc. Kind of like hyperactive speakers. Not trying to be a jerk, just curious.

My guess is that it is the same inquisitiveness that brought you an organized banking system, modern medicine, and other odds and ends like (from my family) non-destructive metalurgical testing or flexible contact lenses.

Of course, your statement is a sweeping generalization and shouldn't even be granted the credence of a dignified reply.

Agreed, it must be difficult. I'm not Jewish and have noticed the "bible-belt" boys ignorance for years having attended college in the region. Always amazes me how ignorant people in this country can be. That being said, Judiasm is a religion and thus does not define a race of people therefore I find it interesting that people are seriously considering this. I believe that the Jews are the only people who have(over history) demanded an independent nation based on a "religous" right. Not saying I dissagree but even the Muslims aren't disputing borders based on faith but rather political differences. What is the term, Zionist? I'm not claiming that I'm knowledgable in the arena so a lecture would be appreciated and not taken as an insult. Just trying to see if the idea of a group comes from the historical view that Jews are a people instead of Judiasm is a religion that many people profess. No harm intended, just interested.

IAHERJ

Thank you so much.....THAT WAS THE SPIRIT BEHIND MY ORIGINAL POST EARLY ON! I may not have eloquated myself in the perfect sense, but i was just wondering in general about jews and how their faith plays in with this industry, seeing how it is not 9-5 mon to friday. thats all!

If i seem ignorant because i asked a question like this, then perhaps those that came down as "i cant wait for the day when i dont have to deal with this ^%$# and that ^^%$# arent doing yourself a favor! you dont have to answer my question, but when you come off as if everyone should be knowledgeable about Judaism or the history of jews, their sects, religious participation or not, and get annoyed when the bible belt doesnt fully understand then you dont perhaps create any warm and fuzzy feels for yourself or your people.

Btw, i am not from the bible belt, actually i am originally from south america, and i dont take offense when i am mistaken for a mexican, because well; its just a lack of understanding and more importantly exposure. so a quick lesson in diversity and geography usually sets things straight!

jmho

ps. best of luck to ojap. unity is always good!

Latest resources

Back