NWA Wants....WHAT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NWA Wants....WHAT?

At this point it all depends on where NWA ALPA's true motivation lies. If they have any foresight they will protect jobs. If the "400 club" is steering NWA ALPA's decisions to protect pensions at all cost, any future for junior or prospective mainline flying is history.

As someone else on this board pointed out, if management gets mainline pilot numbers low enough you guys will be the next AMFA in your future contract negotiations.

On another note, the senior Fa's are gonna get a 25% pay cut. The junior Fa's are gonna get 7%. Plus the PFAA will lose about half of their ranks to outsourcing (Asian nationals for $8 bucks an hour with no benefits). <-On this point doesn't an American Flag Carrier have a moral responsibility to the people of the flag it flies under? A junior FA starts out at $16,000. Now she will make 14,880 (before taxes). Who on God's green earth would work that job for $14,880?

Can a person survive on that? Even living like a college student?

Can't a person make like $27,000 full time at McDonalds? Have a schedule and be home every night.

WillowRunVortex said:
NWA Wants....WHAT?

" If the "400 club" is steering NWA ALPA's decisions to protect pensions at all cost, any future for junior or prospective mainline flying is history.

The red-book mentality leaders can give away the farm if they want to in order to protect the pensions- long term (maybe even short term) the defined benefit plan is gone no matter what they do. Face it, MSP leadership.

NuGuy said:
Strike and liquidation, it looks like...

Nu

We all saw how fast NWA had scab mechanics in at work... It would not surprise me that they would have no problems finding scab pilots. The same guy willing to go to G o-Jets and the original Freedom Air crew woujld probably have no qualms scabbing at NWA.

Honestly.. NWA probably wants this just like they wanted the Mechanics to walk... they want a work force that flys an A320 for ERJ wages and who would be happy to do it. Unfortunately they will probably do it.

Maybe a bankrupcy judge will show a little spine and stand up for labor for once but some how I doubt it with the current climate and Adminstration

flatspin7 said:
We all saw how fast NWA had scab mechanics in at work... It would not surprise me that they would have no problems finding scab pilots. The same guy willing to go to G o-Jets and the original Freedom Air crew woujld probably have no qualms scabbing at NWA.

Honestly.. NWA probably wants this just like they wanted the Mechanics to walk... they want a work force that flys an A320 for ERJ wages and who would be happy to do it. Unfortunately they will probably do it.

Maybe a bankrupcy judge will show a little spine and stand up for labor for once but some how I doubt it with the current climate and Adminstration

Do you understand how long it would take to train "scab pilots"?

Get a clue.

The mechanics were being trained LONG before you "saw how fast NWA has scab mechanics in at work..."

Management is simply testing ALPA at this point to see how much they can get away with.

cut costs, cut costs, cut cost. But wait, don't forget the 20 million we need to pay in bonus money to retain top management.

So let me get this straight. NWA pilots (not all of them) are denying the jumpseat to B6 guys because of the so-called low wages that we work for, we are undoubtedly bringing down the industry..."eroding the profession" I heard the other day. Now the NWA pilots are being told to expect an astonomical paycut that could take them far below B6 rates. Do the NWA guys/gals (A) accept these rates because "we are in Ch. 11, we have no choice", like the General is about to do, or (B) Walk off the job, practicing what they preach and preserving the profession's integrity when wages and work rules are concerned.

I am curious how this is supposed to play out, you know, from the perspective of one of you NWA guys who said you won't let our kind ride to work with you last week. If the NWA pilot group accepts this slap in the face...is it OK for me to start denying the jumpseat to the average 6-8 NWA employees that commute from Florida to NY on us daily? Let me know how I am supposed to treat you if you show up to work and fly the 320 for a paycheck that is considerably less than mine. Let me know soon...I've got a FLL turn next week.

Last edited:
IB6 UB9 said:
So let me get this straight. NWA pilots (not all of them) are denying the jumpseat to B6 guys because of the so-called low wages that we work for

...is it OK for me to start denying the jumpseat to the average 6-8 NWA employees that commute from Florida to NY on us daily? Let me know how I am supposed to treat you if you show up to work and fly the 320 for a paycheck that is considerably less than mine. Let me know soon...I've got a FLL turn next week.

If you have a beef, rather than venting here, I suggest that you have your Jumpseat Coordinator (or equivalent representitive of your pilot group) call 1-800-NWA-ALPA. Ask for the contact point for our JS Coordinator. Please provide details such as flight number, departure point and date, name and contact point for your pilot denied boarding, and any other pertinent details.

If these are multiple events, as you seem to allude to, provide those details as well.

Our JS guy is fastidious about following up on things like this. After you hear back, be a sport and post what you found out.

Nu

NuGuy said:
If you have a beef, rather than venting here, I suggest that you have your Jumpseat Coordinator (or equivalent representitive of your pilot group) call 1-800-NWA-ALPA. Ask for the contact point for our JS Coordinator. Please provide details such as flight number, departure point and date, name and contact point for your pilot denied boarding, and any other pertinent details.

If these are multiple events, as you seem to allude to, provide those details as well.

Our JS guy is fastidious about following up on things like this. After you hear back, be a sport and post what you found out.

Nu

We are a little ahead of you, but I'll be a sport. Here is an email we got the other day from our JS coodinator.

Unfortunately, I feel we have reached an impasse with our jumpseat issues with NWA, in fact we are seeing it deteriorate even further. This does not imply that we will not continue to work toward a solution; it’s just a notice to our pilots that frequent NWA jumpseats for your commute to plan alternatives.

We had three of our pilots denied a jumpseat ride on NWA last week. We reported all three cases to the NWA jumpseat coordinator. The response we received was, “I spoke with ____ regarding his handling of the situation. Sorry, but our Captains have the authority to take or deny anyone they choose. I cannot force them to take anyone but a Fed. Unfortunately, it may get worse as our contract, work rules, and lifestyle degrade.”

I don’t interpret his message as a threat but rather as a matter of fact. Obviously the issues with their contract, work rules, and lifestyle degrade, are not the fault of jetBlue pilots. All we are is a convenient punching bag. The dilemma is that no one with the ability is correcting the miss-information.

For anyone that depends on NWA for your commute you should carry a non-rev pass as a back up. You can obtain a pass authorization by filling out an online form on the Pass Bureau website:

http://Alsohttp://Alsohttp://Alsohttp://Alsohttp://AlsoAlso, please continue to send any reports of jumpseat issues on NWA. Each report is followed up with and is the only avenue we are offered toward a remedy at this point. We’ve been assured that each incident is followed up with the offender. We need: DATE, LOCATION, FLT #, CITY PAIR, and the name of the captain if possible.

As we persist to work on this issues, please continue to welcome all our off line jumpseat riders with our renown hospitality. Any type of retaliation or intimidation would only further deteriorate this situation.

NuGuy said:

Nu

You were saying...

Latest resources

Back