• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Wants....WHAT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB6 UB9, I understand that you're frustrated with the situation, but what do you expect the NWA JS Chairman to do? The NWA CBA specifically states that the jumpseat is at the Captain's discretion. The only exception is the previously mentioned FAA inspector. The Chairman can do nothing more than call the Captain in question and ask him to not be such a jerk in the future. He can't force him to allow JB pilots, nor should he. The jumpseat is one of the few areas where Captain's authority is still recognized.

NWA scab pilots

Redmeat said:
Do you understand how long it would take to train "scab pilots"?

Ask UAL, CAL and EAL...........not very long in the scheme of things. The rewards are great to management and very down sided to the pilots, especially with so many pilots out of work.

Spooky 1 said:
Redmeat said:
Do you understand how long it would take to train "scab pilots"?

Ask UAL, CAL and EAL...........not very long in the scheme of things. The rewards are great to management and very down sided to the pilots, especially with so many pilots out of work.

Um ..... UAL attempts failed, EAL is out of business because they couldn't train enough guys (although there is more to it than that) and many of the scabs at CAL were already with CAL so training wasn't necessary.

Spooky 1 said:
Put down the crack pipe and step away... Before you hurt "your fragile little mind".

2 months, minimum to train a new pilot. Max pilots through the program at any time is probably 40-50.

How many thousands of pilots to train?

Get real... the company would grind to a halt and Chapt. 7 would be the next thing knocking on their door.

Deli Guy said:
Hey IB6

" nobody should be doing this. I am sure that the Capt's involved are "head up their a$$" types"

My bet is that most of the offenders are MEM, and especially MSP crews. Since many of the DTW people are commuters themselves, it defies logic as to why they would engage in this embarrassing activity.

PCL_128 said:
IB6 UB9, I understand that you're frustrated with the situation, but what do you expect the NWA JS Chairman to do? The NWA CBA specifically states that the jumpseat is at the Captain's discretion. The only exception is the previously mentioned FAA inspector. The Chairman can do nothing more than call the Captain in question and ask him to not be such a jerk in the future. He can't force him to allow JB pilots, nor should he. The jumpseat is one of the few areas where Captain's authority is still recognized.

What he should do is turn it over to the Pro Standards people. NO ONE needs a "range war" over jumpseats.

On the SCAB issue--There is a supply of trained DC9-typed and 757-typed pilots out of work between the TWA people who are laid off and TMA, Ryan...etc. Not saying that the TWA people would SCAB but ALPA created an entire force of potential strikebreakers by turning their backs on the TWA people.

You get what you pay for.TC

Lear70 said:
Put down the crack pipe and step away... Before you hurt "your fragile little mind".

2 months, minimum to train a new pilot. Max pilots through the program at any time is probably 40-50.

How many thousands of pilots to train?

Get real... the company would grind to a halt and Chapt. 7 would be the next thing knocking on their door.

I'll pass on the personal insults. It can be done. It has been done, and probably will be done again. You seem to think that you are not replaceable which is the first step in a very slippery slide to the bottom. The whole operation might come to a grinding halt when it's over, but the results are the same. With ALPA in it's current state of suspeneded animation, anything is possible.

Hey AA717 driver and Spooky 1,
There are probably a handful of guys out there that have types in the planes, but they would have to go through the FAA approved NWA designed course even if they were typed in the plane. This training could maybe put 40-50 guys through at a time and would take 2 months with the training on a 24 hour basis. Then there is the in flight period being conducted by who? If you are trying to imply that at this time, NW pilots could be replaced you are wrong. What could be done much easier is to promise the senior guys higher pay / incentives (retirements seem to have settled themselves) to sell out the junior guys, reduce the "mainline guys" to a conquerable number, THEN the mainline pilots could be replaced. My take is mgmnt is trying to get mainline down to a defeatable number. I (.....gulp....) am trusting ALPA when they are saying "SCOPE IS THE FOCUS". I think they see the divide and conquer scheme and it is not in ALPA's best interest to lose so many guys.

Deli Guy said:
...and it is not in ALPA's best interest to lose so many guys.

For the very simple reason that the money coming in to ALPA will decrease. No other reason.

Latest resources

Back