• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA wants DOH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I know what you've said....I was referring to ACL65's comments that he has restated above about expiring leases on 744's meaning that they are going away and are not in the plan. Unlike some here, I don't claim to be an expert on it. All I can say is that our 744 guys are hearing from their fleet people that we, meaning DAL, have big plans for it and they are actually looking for more of them. Have also heard big 330 plans for ATL. RA loves'em. Friend of mine is a facilities guy at HQ in ATL and has said they are being aggressively tasked to find gate space for the 330 and 744 in ATL. I agree that for a while there will be a LOT of DHing to position crews. Works for me. You guys will LOVE DTW and MSP!

I have heard the same. He does love the A330, and the 777. We are hearing a major shift of airplanes around to maximize revenue potential, which is a good thing. I bet the 767ERs will see more 6 day trips to Europe with a stop in MSP or DTW in the middle. Sounds good to me. Also, the Asia flying (even intra Asia) will see the ejection of the NWA 757s and add our 767ERs, for a cargo benefit also. Guam and Saipan should be something different for our guys. I think a lot of us will see places that were "foreign" to us before, and something interesting now. Then, in 5 years when the fences come down, we can all bid on what we want. No doubt we will work at an interesting place soon.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I totally agree that they are looking for places to stick the 744. It is a tough fleet to manage. We need more of them to make it work. I agree with that too. There is just not going to be a ton of them around. With the 787 delay the used market is not what DAL was planning for.
They were hoping to find some used 744's, and 777's on the used market for cheap. Problem is that no one will be getting rid of them. The ones people are dropping, operators like UPS have spoken for.
Yes, we have a unique situation with you guys coming to ATL. For the transition period your jets will need to be serviced by IAM(NWA) employees. That is a huge cost as we will in essence need to double or triple the size of the NWA unionized force here in ATL. That means that we need to find two or three gates next to each other that we can "give" to NWA for this tranistion period. It is a cost worth paying due to the fact that yes, we need the 744's on places like NRT, and TLV, because we need the 777's other places.

You say you know a facitlties manager down here. Which one? Is he traveling a lot. I bet so. Those guys are tasked with writing all the contracts on the new cities we will be serving.

Agreed that RA like the 330. It does a lot. It is also good to have both manufactures on the property. It allows us competitive pricing.

No the 744's are in the plan. The plan was to phase them out with 787 deliveries. (NWA's plan not DAL's. I should be more specific, sorry.)
Our plan is to use them. The issue is that they are on short term (not long term 10-20 year) leases. They will have to be refinanced, or returned. IE a decision process on how to maintain the fleet until the 787-900 and 1000 are options.

AP
Earnings Preview: Delta Air Lines
Monday October 13, 4:26 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta Air Lines' third-quarter earnings seen in range of modest loss to small profit
ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. reports third-quarter earnings on Wednesday. The following is a summary of key developments and analyst opinion related to the period.OVERVIEW: The Atlanta-based carrier, which would become the world's largest airline if it completes its acquisition of Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp., could eke out a small adjusted profit for the three-month period, which ended Sept. 30, based on analysts' projections.
[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]Delta's president and chief financial officer, Ed Bastian, said Sept. 18 that Delta expected its third-quarter results to be in the range of break-even to a modest loss.
The airline industry has been beset for an extended period by hefty fuel prices. While the price of a barrel of oil has dropped off considerably since its record high close of $147.27 on July 11, Delta and other airlines have continued to cut domestic capacity, raise fares and boost revenue through new and higher fees imposed on passengers.
Delta has said it expects to end the fourth quarter with $3.1 billion in liquidity, including a fully drawn $1 billion credit line.
Bastian said last month that Delta did not expect to take a hit from fuel hedging in the third quarter like that forecast by United Airlines. At the same time, Bastian said that with respect to fuel hedges currently in place Delta in the near term would not be able to take advantage of the recent significant drop in the market price for fuel.
Bastian said that Delta projected passenger revenue per available seat mile -- a standard industry measure -- to be up 9 percent to 10 percent in the third quarter.
BY THE NUMBERS: Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, expected Delta to post a profit of 2 cents per share in the third quarter. Analysts' projections generally exclude one-time items. Wall Street forecast Delta will post revenue of $5.67 billion for the July-September period. In the third quarter last year, Delta reported net income of 56 cents a share on revenue of $5.23 billion.
ANALYST TAKE: Several analysts believe Delta will be able to weather high fuel costs and the economic downturn better than some of its competitors because of aggressive cuts in domestic capacity and non-fuel expenses. Credit Suisse analyst Daniel McKenzie said in a research note Monday that his firm does not rule out the possibility of further merger and acquisition activity for Delta in the future. He said Seattle-based Alaska Air Group Inc. or New York-based JetBlue Airways Corp. "remain appealing targets, both with attractive assets and strategic positioning that would enable DAL/NWA to better compete with what we consider is an inevitable CAL/UAUA combination sometime down the road." Houston-based Continental Airlines Inc. and Chicago-based UAL Corp., parent of United Airlines, were said to have had discussions earlier this year, but they never announced a combination. Continental later said it would join a marketing alliance made up of several carriers, including United.
WHAT'S AHEAD: Delta has already received shareholder approval of its plan to acquire Northwest. The deal, which Delta hopes to close by the end of the year, is still subject to Justice Department approval. Also, Delta faces a Nov. 5 trial in federal court in San Francisco in a lawsuit filed by a group of passengers who are trying to block the acquisition.
STOCK PERFORMANCE: Delta's stock rose more than 34 percent during the third quarter, from a close of $5.53 on July 1 to a close of $7.45 on Sept. 30. Since then, however, the stock has dropped more than 8 percent. It closed at $6.80 on Monday

I have been predicting the former for two years. One they left out was Hawaiian.

AP
Earnings Preview: Delta Air Lines
Monday October 13, 4:26 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta Air Lines' third-quarter earnings seen in range of modest loss to small profit
ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. reports third-quarter earnings on Wednesday. The following is a summary of key developments and analyst opinion related to the period.OVERVIEW: The Atlanta-based carrier, which would become the world's largest airline if it completes its acquisition of Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp., could eke out a small adjusted profit for the three-month period, which ended Sept. 30, based on analysts' projections.
Delta's president and chief financial officer, Ed Bastian, said Sept. 18 that Delta expected its third-quarter results to be in the range of break-even to a modest loss.
The airline industry has been beset for an extended period by hefty fuel prices. While the price of a barrel of oil has dropped off considerably since its record high close of $147.27 on July 11, Delta and other airlines have continued to cut domestic capacity, raise fares and boost revenue through new and higher fees imposed on passengers.
Delta has said it expects to end the fourth quarter with $3.1 billion in liquidity, including a fully drawn $1 billion credit line.
Bastian said last month that Delta did not expect to take a hit from fuel hedging in the third quarter like that forecast by United Airlines. At the same time, Bastian said that with respect to fuel hedges currently in place Delta in the near term would not be able to take advantage of the recent significant drop in the market price for fuel.
Bastian said that Delta projected passenger revenue per available seat mile -- a standard industry measure -- to be up 9 percent to 10 percent in the third quarter.
BY THE NUMBERS: Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, expected Delta to post a profit of 2 cents per share in the third quarter. Analysts' projections generally exclude one-time items. Wall Street forecast Delta will post revenue of $5.67 billion for the July-September period. In the third quarter last year, Delta reported net income of 56 cents a share on revenue of $5.23 billion.
ANALYST TAKE: Several analysts believe Delta will be able to weather high fuel costs and the economic downturn better than some of its competitors because of aggressive cuts in domestic capacity and non-fuel expenses. Credit Suisse analyst Daniel McKenzie said in a research note Monday that his firm does not rule out the possibility of further merger and acquisition activity for Delta in the future. He said Seattle-based Alaska Air Group Inc. or New York-based JetBlue Airways Corp. "remain appealing targets, both with attractive assets and strategic positioning that would enable DAL/NWA to better compete with what we consider is an inevitable CAL/UAUA combination sometime down the road." Houston-based Continental Airlines Inc. and Chicago-based UAL Corp., parent of United Airlines, were said to have had discussions earlier this year, but they never announced a combination. Continental later said it would join a marketing alliance made up of several carriers, including United.
WHAT'S AHEAD: Delta has already received shareholder approval of its plan to acquire Northwest. The deal, which Delta hopes to close by the end of the year, is still subject to Justice Department approval. Also, Delta faces a Nov. 5 trial in federal court in San Francisco in a lawsuit filed by a group of passengers who are trying to block the acquisition.
STOCK PERFORMANCE: Delta's stock rose more than 34 percent during the third quarter, from a close of $5.53 on July 1 to a close of $7.45 on Sept. 30. Since then, however, the stock has dropped more than 8 percent. It closed at $6.80 on Monday

I have been predicting the former for two years. One they left out was Hawaiian.

Interesting indeed. Yes I remember you saying Alaska could be in the works some time ago. I wonder if the Northwest guys would still be beating their date of hire drum with an Alaska SLI, and some senior guys at the top of the list over there. Sweet for an Alaska guy, straight from 73 captain to 74 captain. Remember its just DOH that counts.

Interesting indeed. Yes I remember you saying Alaska could be in the works some time ago. I wonder if the Northwest guys would still be beating their date of hire drum with an Alaska SLI, and some senior guys at the top of the list over there. Sweet for an Alaska guy, straight from 73 captain to 74 captain. Remember its just DOH that counts.

With conditions and restrictions. But you guys are great at spin!

Schwanker

Latest resources

Back