Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
320AV8R said:
A watershed event ? I'm not so sure.

No it's not. It provides a direct input to the BOD on vital issues. Besides, that wasn't my point. TG said we're leading a race to the bottom. I gave examples of other carriers that would be "farther down" than us, if this TA is approved.

320AV8R

Did it keep you from going bankrupt? Uh, no.

Did it keep your union from taking HUGE concessions? Nope.

I'd have to conclude that being on the BOD did nothing for labor or the stockholders of NWA.

XJ-spartacus said:
TG-
First of all, isn't the DC-9 going to be retired with the relief of this scope language?

No. The DC9 retirement is based on reaching the cycle limit. Mgmt laid out a DC9 retirement plan a few years ago, & has stuck pretty close to it. The "relief" has the first 35 aircraft going to Mesaba, to replace the AVROs, not DC9s.

If that is the case, how can the NWA pilots think that there won't be massive furloughs to go along with those disappearing aircraft?

That's not the case, & we don't think there will be massive furloughs. It has been stated that furloughs could be 150 or so, but they are so short of pilots now, they're canceling flights because of it. They are also calling guys on vacation, days off, etc.

The "sell out" of the junior pilots is a misconception. NO MAINLINE PILOTS that are flying today should be at Compass. Compass will be staffed by furloughed NWA pilots, with a flow through back to mainline when recalled. So, if you want to label a "flying job opportunity" a "sellout", it's your decision.

320AV8R

HalinTexas said:
Did it keep you from going bankrupt? Uh, no.

No it didn't & I never implied that it could have.

Did it keep your union from taking HUGE concessions? Nope.

See above response.

I'd have to conclude that being on the BOD did nothing for labor or the stockholders of NWA.

I don't think it matters to the stockholders. For labor, the pilots in particular, it is a benefit. Certain decisions have been changed WRT our BOD imput. Our BOD rep is also on the finance committee, & has an idea of the direction Mgmt is taking WRT financing, (new aircraft purchases, etc...) and strategic planning. Having some information at this level is better than having none at all.

320AV8R

Sorry Ihatemgmt, but it really doesn't matter to the vast majority at NWA if this TA effects Pinnacle or Mesaba. Pinnacle grew like a SOB while Northwest furloughed. And thanks for that offer to interview at Pinnacle and start at the bottom, I hope to never be that desparate. Also, I never worked at a regional, I got my training in the military.

Bottom line is that the TA sucks a big one. Everyone needs to choose what is best for them. I believe if the TA is voted down, the company will eventually liquidate. So, do you want to look for a new job in a tough market or take a huge cut in pay/workrules/scope? NWA held the line on scope for a long time, allowing only 36 jets with over 50 seats. Who else did this?

Sorry if this TA effects growth at your regional. Tough luck....

Don't Assume

Everyone seems to think all of the furloughed NWA pilots and soon to be furloughed pilots are going to run to Compass. Don't be so sure. I for one don't plan to do any such thing. I would rather work at Home Depot and be home every night than work under the conditions that Compass will have. I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who feels that way. It is not a pride thing, merely a quality of life thing. I've flown airplanes for over 26 years and love to fly. There comes a point where the cost to family and quality of life just isn't worth it any more. Cheers!

As a furloughed person I am not going to go and fly at compass or mesaba or anyother regional. I say vote the TA down and keep the flying at mainline or close it down. Don't let the dc9 flying go anywhere else. If we give this up then mgnt will outsource more and more dc9 flying. I will stay at my present job before flying for compass and them mgnt selling it like midatlantic was.

If US airways and United had died like they were supposed to, we would have be able to keep industry leading contracts. The TA is an industry standard contract, even if NWA strikes it doesn't matter, the bar has already been lowered. The TA puts NWA into a competitive position. If you compare SWA labor to NWA, you could make the comparison that labor is not the answer, however the legacy business model has to cut costs through labor as we'll as other areas. This is business, if one company is doing something and getting business, you have to do the same thing to be competitive. Voting for the TA or against it is a lost cause, whether or not it passes, it will not raise or lower the bar any further.

Does anybody else find it ironic that one of the pushes as of late by ALPA national has been to "regain" regional type flying (70 seats and larger) back at the mainline carriers and protect larger aircraft (DC9/MD80/717 size), but here is NWA and ALPA ready to spin off all of this flying in 90 seat sized equipment?

Helloooooo! Left Hand! This is your Right Hand! Do you hear me?

YourPilotFriend said:
If US airways and United had died like they were supposed to, we would have be able to keep industry leading contracts. The TA is an industry standard contract, even if NWA strikes it doesn't matter, the bar has already been lowered. The TA puts NWA into a competitive position. If you compare SWA labor to NWA, you could make the comparison that labor is not the answer, however the legacy business model has to cut costs through labor as we'll as other areas. This is business, if one company is doing something and getting business, you have to do the same thing to be competitive. Voting for the TA or against it is a lost cause, whether or not it passes, it will not raise or lower the bar any further.

Talk about putting your head in the sand. The USAir / UAL comment is like saying the industry as a whole would have been fine forever if 9-11 had just never happened. As the capacity would have rather quickly returned in the wake of those carriers, you would have found yourself competeing with far more LCC type of competition. Of all the CH11 legacy carriers of late, none faced less LCC competition than Northwest. I'm sure things would have been just rosy in the future facing a flood of it while riding on those industry leading contracts.

Flyerjosh said:
Does anybody else find it ironic that one of the pushes as of late by ALPA national has been to "regain" regional type flying (70 seats and larger) back at the mainline carriers and protect larger aircraft (DC9/MD80/717 size), but here is NWA and ALPA ready to spin off all of this flying in 90 seat sized equipment?

Helloooooo! Left Hand! This is your Right Hand! Do you hear me?
Part of union rhetoric is telling you what you want to hear. They are selling you a product you know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back