• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Pilots Authorize Strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the MONEY section of USA Today, it said the judge will rule on whether or not management can impose new pay rates on pilots.. Isn't that loke opening pandoras box, as if it hasn't already been ith pentions and all. If the Judge rules in fvor of management, every pilot group is screw'd. What would be the point of negotiating with the thieves in management when all they have to do is let the court take everything away anyway?

Things just keep gettin' better and better!

vtwo said:
bla bla bla
we've seen this all before at other airlines.

company threatens bankruptcy

Pilots take pay cuts(voluntary)

company file chapter 11

threatens more pay and benefit cuts

Company lets slip what they want from a judge( contract that sucks really bad)

company threatens 1113 motion to void contract.

union starts to negotiate more cuts.

Union stands strong and says we will strike if 1113 imposed

Union Touts 90+ percent strike vote

company say pilots are greedy and don't care about the rest of the company's employees( company wants to start war within employees)

The day the judge is supposed to rule on 1113 some thing happens (ie..
tentative agreement, ruling postponed, bla bla bla)

Union comes to membership with a ta ( ta sucks bad but not as bad as the company wish list)

Member ship votes for the negotiated crap contract by just above 50%
justifies this crap by saying" it beats finding a new job" or "We will live to fight a new day" or bla bla bla.)

Bottom line is: we all know that there will not be a strike! The strike vote is like giving kids a chance to pick crayons from the new box or the old bucket. it just doesn't matter the out come.

you NWA pilots don't have the nerve. in the end the company will roll over you like they did the mechanics!
have fun licking you wounds.

I am really sorry that this is going to happen to you guys. but why shouldn't it? It is what happened to the airline pilots who's company's have filed bankruptcy.

Good post. You've obviously been around this industry a while. Only thing I could add is that the final TA vote will be the classic 53% for, 47% against. That's what it always is.

FDJ2 said:
AP
Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike
Tuesday February 28, 7:32 pm ET Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike if Airline Carries Out Threatened Pay-Cut and Work-Rule Changes

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The pilots union at Northwest Airlines Corp. said Tuesday that its members have authorized a strike if the carrier imposes its threatened pay-cut and work-rule changes.

More than 92 percent of pilots voted in favor of authorizing a strike, said Wade Blaufuss, spokesman for the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association. He said more than 90 percent of Northwest's 4,851 eligible pilots voted.

Blaufuss spoke by phone from New York, where the union leadership is meeting amid talks with the airline.
The vote authorizes union leaders to call a strike, but doesn't guarantee that they will. The union has said it wouldn't strike unless Northwest imposes pay-cut and work rule changes. Wednesday is the earliest that could happen. That's the day that New York bankruptcy judge Allan Gropper is set to rule on the airline's request to reject its union contracts with pilots and flight attendants. Flight attendants have also threatened to strike, but their vote doesn't wrap up until March 6.

Yawn....The judge will extend the new and imporved deadline, again, until the pilots get some crappy TA that will pass with over 51%. Same circus...just differnt clowns.

If the original clowns hadn't bent over, maybe we wouldn't be in this position. This is a business where every competitive edge must be exploited to its fullest potential. Any predictions on the first group to give up the 100 seater?

Last edited:
JoeMerchant said:
FDJ2,
That isn't a very good result if you ask me. In 1998, ASA had 98% in favor of striking with a 98% voter turn out. Mesaba just had a 98% vote in favor of striking. 90% voting with 92% voting in favor isn't very good. It also is a good indication of the DAL vote. The NWA pilots, aka Cobra pilots, are much more militant than the DAL pilots. This would indicate that a DAL vote will be even worse.

:bomb: In case you didn't see this on the other post...
Wow, That's an amazing leap of logic. The NWA pilots overwhelmingly step up to the plate and refuse to allow the execs at NW to pull the contract from them under the approval of a bankruptcy judge. From that you spew out your continued anti-ALPA B.S. I wonder who filled out those ballot forms...the pilots or the big ALPA monster? Joe, grow up and realize the facts, this industry is under an assault from all directions and we should fight the battle with every tool we have at our disposal.
:puke:

Whatever happens, I wish my brothers and sisters at NWA the best in this fight for not only their careers, but in the long run, all of ours.

These actions by NWA management are reminiscent of CAL in 83. I believe they are facing a much more determined labor busting group than Lorenzo ever was. If the pilots agree to management demands or come to an agreement, it will only be a matter of time before their management comes back for more.

This is history repeating itself.

I believe we will have a high percentage of YES votes for a strike vote if it comes to that also, and watching what happens with NW now that they had a high YES vote percentage, will only enforce that. We will probably get released to the arbitrators tomorrow, and then it could take 45 days to get a yes or no for the 1113c request. We have plenty of time to watch how NW does, and we are all behind the NW pilots. Good luck guys!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good luck NWA pilots.

Actually, I think vtwo is probably right and I think his scenario is spot on, although could have lived without the acidic remarks.

Wishing the best for the NWA pilots, whatever you guys and gals choose.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back