• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA DC-9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The word from the DAL schoolhouse is that the fellow that rationalized the DAL network in bankruptcy (stoped flying a lot of widebodies domestically, and shipped them to international,) is looking over the NWA fleet and schedule, and believes many of their aircraft are seriously under-utilized. It wouldn't surprise me to have the 9's deployed on current routes running a high frequency of pakced RJ's, as someone else mentioned.

Thus far I've been impressed with the way DAL management is navigating this downturn. If plans remain as they are, I don't think anyone under the DAL/NWA umbrella will have to endure a furlough - and I think the management is planning on the economy and fuel getting worse before it gets better. Not to say that plans couldn't change, or that you shouldn't have a plan B - but as of right now, a furlough looks unlikely.

I hope that is true. It would be nice to get the new Delta rolling and get past the furlough stage unscathed.

If the utilization issue is true, then we can get even more work out of an already paid for AC. That is good for the new Delta and in turn good for us, with the econ/oil as it is.

Speaking to the US Congress yesterday, Delta Airlines chief executive Richard Anderson revealed that the proposed merger with Northwest Airlines would mean the loss of 1,000 jobs at their new joint headquarters.

He added that the jobs affected would be managerial, rather than front-line, primarily involving staff in finance and accounting also said that figure was simply a "guesstimate" which is liable to change.

Delta has already announced 2,000 jobs cuts this year through buyouts and attrition, as part of a cost-cutting operation in response to higher fuel prices.

Altogether, the merged companies expect to have a workforce of 75,000.

When quizzed by a senator on how he would guarantee jobs if the industry's financial situation continues to deteriorate, Mr Anderson said: "The only real job security is a sound business plan."

High fuel prices have also hit other airlines, such as British Airways, which announced recently that it expected its fuel costs to rise by 20 per cent during this year.

Speaking to the US Congress yesterday, Delta Airlines chief executive Richard Anderson revealed that the proposed merger with Northwest Airlines would mean the loss of 1,000 jobs at their new joint headquarters.

>> >>

Actually I believe he and Steenland looked at each other and threw out "less than 1,000" as a figure as they have not worked everything from the bottom up.

Steenland had a video message to NWA employees where he stated it had been premature to even mention a number when asked the question.

The word from the DAL schoolhouse is that the fellow that rationalized the DAL network in bankruptcy (stoped flying a lot of widebodies domestically, and shipped them to international,) is looking over the NWA fleet and schedule, and believes many of their aircraft are seriously under-utilized. It wouldn't surprise me to have the 9's deployed on current routes running a high frequency of pakced RJ's, as someone else mentioned.

I don't think there are a lot of "under-utilized" jets at

NWA, the guys on the 9s regularly fly 5-6 legs a day

we do 4-5 legs a day on the 320s all the time.

I realize thats per pilot not per plane.....

DB

DB

Brownie, According to ALPA E&FA and the DAL Negotiators, NWA pilots are the "most efficient" of all the Legacy airlines.

A transition to DAL's 24.B would require about 300 more pilots to staff our our own fleet.

If you're doing 4-5 legs on the 'Bus...ur doing it wrong! :D

...and if oil stays above $120 or goes north of that, at some point, the DC-9s will cost too much to operate even if they are paid for. Who knows, that oil price "number" may already be at that point now. Maybe they could re-engine them with B717 engines to make them more effiecient and keep them around another 30 years.

DB

The 320 has a range of 2600 to 3000 nm range depending on engines on it. 4 to 5 legs a day is a waste of utilization big time. Granted some markets it may be profitable but overall it's capable of a lot further reach into markets with higher yields.

Hi!

Since I applied at DAL, I got a message from them stating they are planning to hire at the end of this year, or early 2008. I'm sure everybody else with an app in got the same info.

cliff
YIP

...and if oil stays above $120 or goes north of that, at some point, the DC-9s will cost too much to operate even if they are paid for. Who knows, that oil price "number" may already be at that point now. Maybe they could re-engine them with B717 engines to make them more effiecient and keep them around another 30 years.

As oil and jetfuel continue to go up the CASM metrics actually invert and it's more efficient to fly the gas guzzling 9's over the 50 seat CRJ's.

IOW, it is more revenue positive (or less of a loss) to fly 1 120 seat DC9 over 2 50 seat CRJ frequencies on the same route.

It may be more efficient, but DAL is one of the few carriers that actually owns a regional. For the other majors, even NWA as a stand alone carrier, they've been able to negotiate lower contracts with the regionals (ie. CAL and XJT)--you can thank SKYWEST and MESA. As long as the regionals remain profitable (most are doing better than their major counterpart), it's still cheaper to use them over mainline aircraft. Other than leasing the aircraft to MESABA, PINNICLE, or COMPASS, NWA does not save any money by replacing a DC9 on an RJ route. They are separate busnesses and do not share the same finances. Now, if they merge with DAL, that's another story--it's not a done deal yet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back