NWA/DAL negotiations update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why Doesn't NWA Aquire DAL?

This is an interesting thread. I have to know if anyone has ever suggested that Northwest aquire Delta? It IS an aquisition of NWA by DAL is it not? Merger sounds kinder and gentler, but it does not appear to be what is happening.

Whilst there is much talk about fairness, both pilot groups are members of the same union. This is unlike the AA/TWA aquisition where there were separate unions, hence governmental legislation to prevent "unfairness" between non-affiliates. My point is that it would seem that "to the victor go the spoils" is not unfair to those taking the risk and benefits of aquiring another business.

I just wonder how it would be if the shoe was on the other foot and NWA was calling the shots. How would the NWA MEC deal with their assimilating DAL pilot group?

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Velvet Jones

How do you do business with an MEC that will not do business?

When you offer to work with someone and their response is "F_U_DAL," the answer is clear and you move on.

NWA pilots did not concoct the FU Delta campaign. F&H at Delta commenced that campaign. That is so plain to see. Where have you seen an FU Delta statement from the NWA MEC. Just isn't true.

It is not the intent of Delta's pilots, or management, to move on without the NWA pilots - but - the fact remains that the result of intransigence is irrelevance.

Well you guys know RA's phone number. You have a communications commitee that has made your point clearly. However, actions speak louder than words. I guess DAL is going to play the game for another 3 weeks. Why even say you will go ahead with Letter 19 if we are not brought to pay parity? If you guys really wanted pay parity on the first day you wouldn't have done your own deal.

ONE AIRLINES ONE CONTRACT

NO HARMONIZATION, PERIOD

Redrum,

Some of your buddies on airlinepilotcentral posted pictures of the "FU DAL" bag stickers. That sentiment was repeated to Delta's negotiators and Delta's management. It wasn't cute or funny. It was inappropriate and set back your effort to reach parity.

Just is not the way to do business.

You had equity, you had parity, you had relative seniority into a larger and growing fleet. Your negotiators turned it down and vowed to fight the merger. Now you complain that you don't have what you left on the table. Well, which is it? You in, or out?

I do want parity on day one. But when your side turns down every reasonable proposal efforts to achieve homogenity wear thin quickly.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
I have to know if anyone has ever suggested that Northwest aquire Delta? It IS an aquisition of NWA by DAL is it not?

I just wonder how it would be if the shoe was on the other foot and NWA was calling the shots. How would the NWA MEC deal with their assimilating DAL pilot group?

Velvet Jones
No one in a position of influence has ever suggested NWA acquire Delta. I do not know if there is a structural reason, other than size, to account for this fact, or if it is a matter of branding. Steenland and NWA's managers seem to want to cash out, while it has been said that Delta's managers like running Delta. Internally you get the feeling that most Delta people love working for Delta.

It is pretty apparent how NWA's MEC would handle the assimilation of Delta pilots by their actions thus far.

This is an interesting thread. I have to know if anyone has ever suggested that Northwest aquire Delta? It IS an aquisition of NWA by DAL is it not? Merger sounds kinder and gentler, but it does not appear to be what is happening.

Whilst there is much talk about fairness, both pilot groups are members of the same union. This is unlike the AA/TWA aquisition where there were separate unions, hence governmental legislation to prevent "unfairness" between non-affiliates. My point is that it would seem that "to the victor go the spoils" is not unfair to those taking the risk and benefits of aquiring another business.

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Velvet Jones

Get over yourself, Velvet. You're putting two large employee groups together...operationally, it's a merger.

While you might view TWA/AA as an "acquisition" it's due to the fact that AA required TWA to file BK as a condition of the "sale."

ALPA National sat on it's overpaid A$$ and did nothing for the TWA pilots while making eyes at the APA.

And now you've the Feds involved due to the atrocities that AA and it's unions committed against the TWA folk.

Maybe "caveat emptor" should be the motto.

stlflyguy

You have done nothing in your post but prove that you feel you are better than NWA and that we dont deserve to prosper from this deal also because DAL is "saving" us.:rolleyes:

*Whisper*~ Without NWA DAL would be in serious problems if the economy goes further down the tubes. NWA has the flexibility of parking aircraft if needed with no repercussions of being stuck with leases. That's not good for pilots but its good for the long term success of a company. DAL has massive debts and doesnt have the flexibility to dig in and tough the storm.

Bottom line is both sides bring alot to the table and i think we will knock out a joint contract together but the SLI will go to arbitration. You're right Seniority is Forever hence why our guys arent letting you strongarm us with the SLI. I want a fair deal for both sides but it appears by your posts you want your version of *fair* because you THINK you are better positioned. Show a little character and stop trying to justify your idea of *fair*. We are in this together and to make this a long term successful company it would be smart not to divide the pilot group who will soon make up almost half of OUR list.

Cya Puffy

Be nice, please. it is in your best interests.

Redrum,

Some of your buddies on airlinepilotcentral posted pictures of the "FU DAL" bag stickers. That sentiment was repeated to Delta's negotiators and Delta's management. It wasn't cute or funny. It was inappropriate and set back your effort to reach parity. Just because a couple people on a aviation *forum* might have done that doesnt mean thats our MEC stance. I am willing to bet there are a few DAL hotheads on another aviation forum (hint-this one ;) ) that have said and done stupid things. Dont be so quick to label everyone like that. You have seen a response from my rep, did it look like he had a F-U attitude?

Just is not the way to do business. I would agree if it was true and not a union busting firm that DAL employs to spin the info so we have the infighting.

You had equity, you had parity, you had relative seniority into a larger and growing fleet. Your negotiators turned it down and vowed to fight the merger. They vowed to fight the merger as it stand, not the merger in general. Fact is they were locked out with LOA 19 and regardless of what you think is true or not the majority of NWA felt that DALPA was throwing us under the bus. Now you complain that you don't have what you left on the table. Well, which is it? You in, or out?

I do want parity on day one. But when your side turns down every reasonable proposal efforts to achieve homogenity wear thin quickly. Does that mean that your side didnt turn down any proposals from NWALPA? This is a joint venture therefore it has to be a joint deal not a DALPA proposal aka "offer". DALPA appeared to be attempting to strongarm NWALPA at first. BOTH sides through up a wall and hopefully now we can tear that down and move forward. We need to keep the union busting firms from further dividing us.

~~~^~~~

:beer:

Latest resources

Back