• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA CEO Steenland letter to employees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If pilot absenteeism is a huge part of the problem, why doesn't Steenland address a solution in his letter?

He is.

Compass will receive their first aircraft in a few months, and Mesaba is already receiving the largest airplane that any NWA AIRLINK has ever flown.

If one group doesn't want to fly, then they'll just find another group that will fly it cheaper.

I hate it, yes I do, what can i do about it? Nothing. When it happens again, I might just take my time to eat then go to the plane, and not care about the on time departure.

This is what I did last time something like that happened. I was on reserve at the time.

Hey, scheduling - you guys didn't give me any time to eat today. I'm gonna take a break at some point, and it won't be when it's convenient for you. What can we do?

They pulled a turn off a crappy schedule.

Or call SOC/DX and tell them you're taking a break for some food. Don't go get lobster off-airport like the NWA guy, but sit down and eat something!

I've done this multiple times and have never been called to defend myself by anyone.

Try it, you'll like it.

Used to do this pretty regularly at PCL. Never once got anything more than a phone call.

We were on 4- and 5-day trips, no way you can bring enough food for that, nor should you have to.

Scheduling pilots right to the very edge of fatigue and nutrition issues has gotten WAY out of hand, and it has to stop.

Kudos to you guys who stop the show to do what needs to be done. If enough people did this, they'd simply reschedule in a livable way...

Latest resources

Back