NWA CEO Steenland letter to employees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oh well, we do at XJ

I think the answer to that is KISS MY DUMB A*S!

7 leg days. Not even Mesa does that... WTF?

just yesterday I did seven legs, i think our longest break was 48 minutes in a 13-14 hour day. It was day four so having a box lunch to grab and eat was impossible, so I just went to grab food and shove it down my throat. I do not like to take my food in the Saab since we stay low and have short legs, its not pleasant to eat in those situations. I hate it, yes I do, what can i do about it? Nothing. When it happens again, I might just take my time to eat then go to the plane, and not care about the on time departure. and about sick calls, its not always just disgruntaled pilots that call in sick when their schedule is poor. Its being fatigued all the time that makes your immune system break down......and are we suppose to go to work sick to cover their shortage of pilots?

I have a trip with 9 legs on day 3 after a 10 hr. overnight. The first 2 days are 6 and 7 legs.

Needless to say, there aren't sufficient meal breaks.

7 leg days for 8 hours of block over 14 hours of duty (and typically after short rest) are common at XJ.

9 legs is just absurd.

Last edited:
I have 7 legs this coming week on the last day. 12 hours duty, 7:25 scheduled block, longest break is 46 minutes.

Ugh...

What exactly does "pilot absenteeism" mean? Is it a combination of sick calls, timing out and refusing to pick up high time? Or just sick calls? The term seems vague to me. NWA guys, do you know?

I feel for the pilots,flight attendants and mechs but I've given up on NW until they get a real leader

the WSJ jumped all over the "pilot absenteeism" and I assume all other pro-management media outlets will as well

just noticed this in the WSJ: "A spokesman said he couldn't comment on the absentee numbers the chief executive cited."

what does that mean?? are they fabricated?

PS.

Please continue to do more of your shopping at thrift stores, dumpsters and in your neighbor's trash. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Doug

Latest resources

Back